Double Star

by Cindy Saunders

When Cepheus, a dark god, forces seventeen-year-old Ally Ashworth off an isolated overlook, she has no idea she's falling into his world, or that the necklace she's wearing is actually a key - one with the power to ignite the next world war. But she's carried beyond his reach and into the one place where he's powerless ... the forest of Gilgamesh.Ally's never been Miss Popularity, but her outsider status takes on new meaning when she's rescued by Liam Cheveyo and his peculiar friends. After seeing them shape-shift into their freaky humanimal counterparts, Ally smacks hard into a few truths: magic really does exist and, although getting here took no effort, finding her way back might be impossible. Feelings between her and Liam begin to grow along with the realization that, in this world, she's stronger, better ... until she's caught in a trap set by the creepy spider-boy Cepheus sends to retrieve her. But Ally's not going down without a fight, not after learning the horrible truth about the passageways. The survival of both worlds depends on it.… (more)

Double Star honestly really surprised me with how much I enjoyed it. I was expecting a good story, but not necessarily one I would love. That's exactly what I got though- a story I fell in love with.

Ally is a fun character to follow. She is feisty, witty, and has a charismatic personality. You really get pulled into her adventure, following her as she works through the new reality she finds herself in. The idea of falling into another world is usually always interesting, and I love the world Cindy Saunders has created, with her humanimals and magic.

Liam and his friends are awesome, and I love their energy. They are all described very well, and each one is completely different. Together, they all make a solid team, and is a group of guys any girl would love to have watching her back. I also really loved how Ally helped Liam through his personal demons, and helped him grow and heal. They are a great couple, and I'm really curious to see what happens between them.

While I did love this story overall, I do feel 4 roses fits best, for two main reasons. First, the stories of the "gods" and the passageways was a bit confusing. I kind of felt like that needed to be explained a little more, since that's the entire reason Ally ended up in the alternate world. The story focused more on Ally learning to survive in this enchanted world, and her budding romance with Liam. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I would have liked the explanation of the passageways and the legends of the gods to be a bit more important.

Second, I didn't really understand why, when Cepheus only needs Ally's necklace, he still chases after her. Several times, his goons had the necklace, and could have taken off, but stuck around to try and capture her as well, only to lose the necklace to her or her friends. It may have been vaguely explained near the end of the book, but I wasn't sure, and throughout the story, I was a bit confused.

Overall though, I really enjoyed this book. Reading about this enchanted forest was fun, and the writing is good. Mrs. Saunders has created a wonderful adventure, and I'm hoping the sequel will explain the parts of this book that were missing. I would recommend this book to any fantasy fan.

*I was given an eCopy of this book, via Clean Teen Publishing, to read in exchange for an honest review.

See my blog post for this book here: http://desertrosereviews.blogspot.com/2013/12/double-star-review-spotlight.html ( )
  Rose.Wallin | Jan 20, 2016 |

Rose.Wallin | Jan 20, 2016 |
For a book tour. Enter to win one of 2 ecopies on the blog on Sept 1! (tiffyfit.blogspot.com)
  a_tiffyfit | Sep 21, 2013 |

Cindy Saunders is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,307,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible