Sycamore Row by John Grisham

Sycamore Row (2013)

by John Grisham

English (103)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All (108)
rabck from fathermurphy; Good book about a suicide, and the business man leaves everything to his black housekeeper, instead of his estranged kids. But why? And can Jake Brigance defend the hand written will against the slick city attorney's that the kids have hired? Interesting premise with a twist at the very end that explains why Seth Hubbard did what he did. ( )
  nancynova | Sep 29, 2017 |
Audio book performed by Michael Beck

Seth Hubbard, a wealthy man dying of lung cancer, hangs himself from a sycamore tree. Before he dies, he hand-writes a new will, mailing it to lawyer Jake Brigance, and instructing him to ensure it is enforced. In it he specifically disowns his children and grandchildren, and leaves the majority of his estate to his housekeeper, Lettie Lang, an African-American woman. The courtroom brawl that ensues will keep everyone scrambling.

John Grisham can certainly write a thriller, and his courtroom scenes are entertaining, suspenseful and informative. I liked the various characters in the novel, even the smarmy attorneys hired by Seth’s children and Lettie’s n’er-do-well husband and distant relatives. That is to say, I like the way Grisham writes these characters. I particularly enjoyed the back-and-forth play between Jake and sheriff Ozzie Walls, or Jake and Judge Atlee.

However, I thought the conclusion was rushed and dissatisfying, even if it was more realistic that other alternatives.

Michael Beck does a great job of voicing the audio book. He has great pacing and can easily differentiate the various characters. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 30, 2017 |
Good read, definitely better than most anything else I pick up; however, I did not enjoy Jake's character as much as some of Grisham's other creations. I found him to be a little flat. I loved the history on Mississippi lynchings though, and I thought his description of small town Southern attitudes was spot on. ( )
  shedthenegative | Jul 19, 2017 |
Sycamore Row brinks back many of the same characters from A Time To Kill. This time the plot evolves around the suicide of Seth Hubbard and the legal battle over his handwritten will that was made the day before he died. The ending was not what I expected. This is a very good read. ( )
  lewilliams | Mar 8, 2017 |
3.5 stars
Seth, a semi-recluse and self-made millionaire, is dying of advanced cancer and decides to commit suicide before the cancer kills him. Just days before his suicide, he wrote a holographic will naming Lettie, his black maid, the sole heir of the bulk of his estate. He mails the will, along with specific instructions, to Jake Brigance, the lawyer we first met in A Time To Kill. It’s 3 years later and Jake has fallen on hard times and is in a career rut. But this case promises to be a blockbuster.

Jake is right. Before long, Seth’s adult children, with a bevy of big-city lawyers, descend on the little town of Clanton, Mississippi to contest the hand-written will and uphold the will written previously, which left 90% of the estate to them.

The characters were well-developed and you couldn’t help but root for Jake and his colorful, eccentric team. The book started out strong and ended with a riveting courtroom drama. There were revelations and surprises along the way that kept my interest. I thought the middle got a bit bogged down and the pace slowed, but all-in-all, it was a pleasure to read.
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
For Renée
Sie fanden Seth Hubbard an der vereinbarten Stelle, allerdings anders als erwartet

When wealthy Seth Hubbard hangs himself from a sycamore tree and leaves his fortune to his black maid, Jake Brigance once again finds himself embroiled in a fiercely controversial trial -- a trial that will expose old racial tensions and force Ford County to confront its tortured history.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,667,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible