The Good Wife (A Brennan Sisters Novel) by…

The Good Wife (A Brennan Sisters Novel) (edition 2013)

by Jane Porter

Member:NasDean
Title:The Good Wife (A Brennan Sisters Novel)
Authors:Jane Porter
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:Jane Porter

The Good Wife by Jane Porter

What I love best about Jane Porter also happens to be what most punches me in the gut: her work really, really draws you in.

You’re not reading about the action, kindly removed from the situation with a cool beverage in an ivory tower; you are all up in the drama, standing sticky in the middle of the muck when things get serious. If you’re looking for an engrossing read you simply cannot put down (and who isn’t?), The Good Wife is awesome. But it will also keep you up and reading compulsively.

This is the third in Porter’s Brennan Sisters series, and suffice it to say I'm emotionally invested in this complicated, realistic and loving clan. Picking up The Good Wife, which focuses on sister Sarah, felt like reuniting with family.

I don’t know who I adored more: Sarah or Lauren. Though they initially live in different parts of the country and are marching into different battles, the two women are remarkably similar, too. I like that Porter doesn’t focus on the Brennan family to the detriment of every other character in the novel, rendering anyone peripheral to the background; anyone introduced in The Good Wife is real and interesting and totally flesh-and-blood, making it a dynamic and personal reading experience.

And it did feel personal. When Sarah hurt, I hurt; when Lauren hurt, I really hurt. It’s a testament to Porter’s skill that she has me so deeply involved with her characters that I can barely tolerate parting with them. It’s been a long time since I got hooked on a series, and the Brennan Sisters books have definitely done that for me. Though sometimes the attention to detail felt exhausting, I still can’t help but marvel at the way Sarah and Lauren’s lives were brought so beautifully to life for me.

If you haven’t read anything by Porter, do yourself a favor and start with The Good Woman. Meg has a big role in this one, too, and the impact of events won’t be the same without gaining your own history with the characters. Porter’s third installment is heartbreaking and thoughtful and touching, and I highly recommend The Good Wife — and the series. ( )
  writemeg | Oct 25, 2013 |
The Good Wife is the third in the Brennan series that follows The Good Woman and The Good Daughter. The Good Wife focuses mainly on the youngest Brennan sister, Sarah. The family has gathered to mourn the loss of the sister's mother, who died after a battle with cancer.

Sarah is still unable to forgive her husband Boone, a major league baseball player, of having had an affair three years previous. The insecurities that she suffers is putting a huge strain on their marriage. Meg and her husband Jack are having similar issues except Meg was the one that had the affair. This does destroy their marriage and things spiral out of control when Jack dies in a car crash, leaving Meg struggling with her guilt. Brianna and Kit, play more of a secondary role in the story but the reader is still able to see the family dynamics that make this family human. Every family has its dysfunction and the Brennan family are no strangers to this. Each member of the family from the sisters, their father, significant others and the children all play an important part in this family coming to terms with their loss and finally seeing that family is the most important thing and trust, even though it has to be earned, that without it people are lost.

I love this author and I am hoping that Ms.Porter writes a book about the brother Tommy next. I would love to see the story of the Brennan family come full circle. I highly recommend this series. I strongly suggest that this series be read starting with The Good Daughter. This way you will get the full understanding about each character. ( )
  celticlady53 | Oct 24, 2013 |
The Good Wife by Jane Porter
I have read most everything else by this author and am happy that I'm able to read this one. Although part of a trilogy I did not find it hard to pick up and read and not feel lost.
I have read the first in the set and remember the women of the family and how things have been brought up to date in this book.
The mother has just died, Marilyn and the whole family has come together. There are many problems in some of the marriages.
Parts I really like in this series/book is that the book is about family life, from different generations and the problems are so right now.
This book is particularly about Sarah and Boone. They live in Tampa, FL and Bonne is a pro on a baseball team and travels much for the team games while Sarah stays at home with the kids. She'd love to relocate back to northern CA to be closer to family.
She feels she and Boone are not so close any more and she sees signs and they lead to infidelity but he swears she is the only one. Brought up to speed on the others life's through the years as the sisters try to find the answers. More life events get in the way of Sarah returning to Boone in FL but she does send their son and he's got others lined up to help care for him.
The book also follows the life's of Lauren and her twin Lisa. Love all the baking talk and how their life's meet up with the Brennans.
Couldn't put this book down and 417 pages I devoured in a day. Love all the travel, different locations and most importantly I wish I had a sister/friend like the ones in this book who drop everything and engage in an intervention...
This book is the best of the series, in my opinion.
I received this book from the author in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Oct 1, 2013 |
Reviewed by: Crystal B
Book provided by: the publisher for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

I have been anxiously awaiting the release of The Good Wife by Jane Porter. I had the pleasure to read The Good Daughter and I just knew this was going to be a fabulous book. It did not let me down. Ms. Porter has created yet another exceptional story that grabbed a hold of me from the first page.

I love all the Brennan family, the whole family is very charismatic and charming. Ms. Porter has done a fabulous job of writing characters that are developed so well that I could imagine myself sitting down with them and sharing their pain. I know I certainly need a few Kleenex to read my way through the first few chapters. Oh my goodness this family has been through so much and they endure even more in The Good Wife.

Boone Walker is a professional baseball player who spends a LOT of time on the road, making his wife feel a little bit like a single parent raising two children. Boone is a good guy and I found him to be a very caring individual, however he made a HUGE mistake in the past. Sarah has a terrible time getting over Boone’s affair and finds it very hard to believe he truly means he has changed.

Boone and Sarah have a lot of series issues to work through and have to learn to rebuild their relationship and trust one and another again. I loved all the emotion and suspense that Ms. Porter has built into these characters. I think she has done a wonderful job of showing how such a traumatic incident would pull a husband and wife apart.

This book is a VERY emotional read, and I felt very connected to all the Brennen sisters. I love how they kind of biker amongst themselves but if one of them needs help the other sisters are right there to back her up and help her deal. I love series books because of the chance to meet up with characters I have read in the past. I got a chance to read about Meg and all she is going through. I also got to catch up with Kit & Jude from The Good Daughter. I hope that Tommy and Cass get a chance to tell their story, I have a feeling they have a story that I would enjoy reading.

Laura Meg’s friend has a part in this storyline as well. I don’t want to giveaway to much of the story here but I really admired Laura for all that she has been through and how she is trying to put her life back together. She finds someone special that helps her gather her thoughts and strength together to start living again.

If you have had a chance to read Jane Porter’s work in the past I think you will enjoy this one as much as I have. If you have not had a chance to read her work before, but enjoy a book with an intense storyline and characters that are well developed, I suggest you give this one a try. ( )
  RtB | Sep 23, 2013 |
The final book in the Brennan Sisters series features Sarah, the youngest and prettiest of the family. Sarah tries to be the "good wife" to Boone, a MLB player who travels, is gone too often, and also cheated on her three years ago. Something she hasn't forgotten or forgiven. Sarah tries to focus on their two children and their marriage, but she can't forget what Boone did and is always questioning and second-guessing where he is and what he is doing. Sarah loves Boone, but can that love overcome her pride and anger at Boone's betrayal?

I was really excited to finish up the series with this book. I really enjoyed the first two in the series. Even though, THE GOOD DAUGHTER was my favorite of the three, this story had me emotionally involved as well. I think any woman can identify with Sarah's raw emotions through this novel....her need to keep her husband close, to believe him, to want to trust him even when she can't find a way to. You will be able to see and understand Sarah's point of view while also understanding that she is wrong to assume the worst about Boone and seeing his side too.

When the story begins, we pick up where THE GOOD DAUGHTER leaves off. Sarah's mother has just passed and her illness and following funeral have been tough on the whole family. Just as you think the story is going to move on, Porter shakes you with another unexpected tragedy. You are expecting the story to be only about Sarah, but it isn't. This novel really encompasses the whole family and all of their personal struggles. Some are tidied up and you are left knowing there will be a happy ending and others are left hanging in the balance.

Porter also introduces another character - apart from the Brennan family - early on in the story. It was confusing as to what her role would be and why her story was being told in between stories of the Brennan family. Eventually, you see the connection, but it was a side story that wasn't as interesting to me. I had really come to care about the Brennan family, a big, bold Irish Catholic American family. Their family was all I was really interested in.

Sarah struggled with her identity and her pride and let that overshadow what really mattered. Sarah didn't seek out the support from her family like she should have and instead turned to alcohol and anger that only festered her obsessive attitude toward Boone. I think a lot of women could identify with Sarah and will be able to appreciate her story. I was pleased with how Sarah and Boone's story ended in the novel and the hope it could give other struggling couples.

My favorite line from the book was such a life lesson, that I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget:

I've learned that not everything is life and death because there is real life and death. Page 134

Porter accurately displays the anguish and heartache felt by each family member in this and the other two books in the series. You will want to read all three and even though you will shed tears, get angry, feel frustrated, and exclaim shock and disappointment, you will want to ride on this emotional roller-coaster with this family. ( )
  Staciele | Sep 11, 2013 |

Is it possible to love someone too much?

Always considered the beauty of the family, the youngest Brennan sister, Sarah, remains deeply in love with her husband of ten years. Boone Walker, a professional baseball player, travels almost year-round while Sarah stays home and cares for their two children. Her love for her husband is bottomless—so much so that her sisters say it will end up hurting her.

Living apart most of the time makes life difficult, especially since Sarah often wonders whether Boone is sharing his bed with other women on the road, even though he swears he’s been true to her since his infidelity three years ago. While she wants to be happy and move forward in her life, Sarah constantly fears that Boone will break his promise. Now with Boone facing yet another career change, tension rises between the two, adding more stress to an already turbulent marriage. Emotionally exhausted, Sarah can’t cope with yet another storm. Now, she must either break free from the past and forgive Boone completely, or leave him behind and start anew . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Sarah remains deeply in love with her husband of ten years. Boone Walker, a professional baseball player, travels almost year-round while Sarah stays home and cares for their two children. Living apart most of the time makes life difficult, especially since Sarah often wonders whether Boone is sharing his bed with other women on the road. When Boone faces yet another career change, it adds more stress to an already turbulent marriage.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible