Rose Under Fire

by Elizabeth Wein

Series: Young Pilots (2), Code Name Verity (2)

When young American pilot Rose Justice is captured by Nazis and sent to Ravensbrück, the notorious women's concentration camp, she finds hope in the impossible through the loyalty, bravery, and friendship of her fellow prisoners.

I am so very torn on what to rate this one. Part One and Part Three are solid 5's, or at least 4.5's. But Part Two has such a glaring formatting problem that it kept distracting me from being able to be immersed in the book at all. Which was sad to see, since Wein did glorious things with formatting in her first book, and even did 75% of glorious formatting in this one. The formatting just slipped way too hard for the convenience of ramming the main story out too fast in the middle, without it's outter box context and situational placement.

I deeply appreciate the topic of her novels, but I'm not move to deep sensationalism of my points to that because I've read a lot of books on these topics all through my life. I even just finished read/re-reading Maus only a month ago. And I had another piece related to it right before I picked up these books, too. They were very well done for the "I" point of view of one young girl, even when I felt certain parts of it were more convient and neater than history shows it might have been.

There were several moments I got misty eyed, but the only place that I lost my one tear to the book was the first time a certain character cried in Part Three. I love the poetry throughout it. I love the raw emotion. I love the continued listing of the named throughout each section until you have every single girl's name who was etched inside of their minds and hearts left with you when you walked away from the book. Also, the afterward was a great addition to it. Saying what was real and what wasn't, and whose names were the absolute to history ones. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
I do think this book was amazing. While it was a little slow to start, there was a purpose to it. Rose was a little naive and upbeat and cheerful, but there was a purpose to that, as well.

The author's descriptions and characters put me right in Ravensbruck with Rose, the Rabbits, and the other women featured in Rose Under Fire. I think this one will stay with me for awhile.

If you've read [b:Code Name Verity|11925514|Code Name Verity|Elizabeth Wein|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1337034341s/11925514.jpg|16885788] and enjoyed it, you must read this. If you haven't read CNV, you should and then read Rose Under Fire.

Thank you, Elizabeth Wein, for helping to tell the world. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
It is 1944 and American pilot Rose Justice is working in England, she has joined the ATA and is hard at work transporting planes for the RAF, and occasionally flying important people about. Returning from one such mission she encounters a doodlebug or Vergeltungswaffe flying bomb. In her efforts to divert it from its course she flies herself off course and is intercepted by some German pilots. Flying armed combat planes. Hers is unarmed, she is civilian, not a combat fighter. They force her to land and Rose finds herself shipped off to Ravensbruck, a concentration camp in Germany, for the end of the war.

I first came across Wein when I read Code Name Verity last year. This book also has an appearance by Maddie, as well another character from Verity, it isn’t really a spoiler to say who that is, but I’m going to let readers find out for themselves, if they don’t already know.

If you haven’t read Verity1 don’t worry about reading it first. This is not a sequel. You won’t really be missing out on anything by reading this one first.

Rose Under Fire is very different to Verity but at the same time it is very similar, heart-wrenching and so very sad. The first part of the book, when Rose is in Southampton really gets across the atmosphere is fear that the war brought to England. The Blitz on the home-front and so many dying off at war. You can really feel the pain, especially when Rose disappears and her family write letters to Maddie. That was the first part that made me cry.

But then we go to Ravensbruck.

I think that Wein was very smart in the way she wrote about the concentration camp. Rose is writing her diary after the fact, both as a way to tell the world and as a way to process all that has happened to her, so she can skim the terrible awfulness of it, and just describe the average awfulness. As readers we know she came out alive, so we have that one bit of positivity to help us through the read.

It strange that I read this book straight after Beloved because in way both deal with a similar topic, people do terrible things to people. People are forced to live through unthinkable things. And those torturers and “experimenters” and slave-owners believe in what they are doing! It really is almost beyond belief, apart from the fact that we know it happened.

Obviously Morrison is also writing about other issues that Rose, as a white American, didn’t have to deal with, and in a very different manner. But both books, I think, want make sure that the world doesn’t simply forget. Beloved may have happened in the 1800s but America is still dealing with the fallout from then, I’m not sure it has ever really acknowledged how much damage was done at the time, and since. Likewise it is so important to remember what people went through in the concentration camps, not only because of the whole “those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it” but also because the truth is important. Not for vengeance or revenge, but because it is right.

I haven’t said very much about the book itself have I? Well it is wonderful. And heart-breaking. Go read it. ( )
  Fence | Jan 5, 2021 |
This book hit like a truck - I actually had to put it down a few times because it was so hard to read. That being the case, it was really amazing stuff. I still prefer Code Name Verity, but this book is easily 5 stars on its own. Oof. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pick, SashaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trevillion, MichaelCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To a Young Poet

Time cannot break the bird’s wing from the bird.
Bird and wing together
Go down, one feather.

No thing that ever flew,
Not the lark, not you,
Can die as others do.

-- Edna St Vincent Millay
For Kate
I just got back from Celia Forester’s funeral.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,501,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible