The Last Wild by Piers Torday

The Last Wild

by Piers Torday

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
An enjoyable eco-adventure set in a future England with strong human and animal characters: Kester Jaynes, Polly, the "General" cockroach, pigeons, the stag, a wolf-cub, a harvest mouse and more. Kester can speak to animals, but not people. Polly is not afraid to speak for all. Together, they become ambassadors for the rights of animals and humans, braving dangers and opening the way to truth. A map helps readers follow the characters' travels. I look forward to reading the sequel. ( )
  bookwren | Feb 5, 2018 |
I dunno. For the target audience, it's great. For one who has seen it all before, done better, not so much. Too much suspension of belief, and not all that carefully written.

I'm glad it was in first person from the child's pov, because then, anything that it seemed that the author hadn't thought through, I could just blame on the character not actually understanding all the details, causes, consequences. Also, I found it too much like [b:Gregor the Overlander|262430|Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)|Suzanne Collins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1387742259s/262430.jpg|524491], which was another MG adventure that I only kinda liked.

Even the touching & heart-wrenching scenes didn't resonate with me. It's as if the author made a list of all the elements that have been successful in recent MG fiction, added some dystopia because that's what the big brothers & sisters are reading, and put everything he could make fit into the story.

Also, if it's meant to be a cautionary fable about our need to treat nature/ the environment better, it fails. Maybe there's more in the next book(s), but for now this is too unreal to be plausible, and also is basically the fault of one greedy mogul. Young readers aren't going to see, from this book, that their actions can make a difference, for good or for bad, in the future of our biosphere.

Impulse grab at the library - should have resisted temptation. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this inventive action packed dystopian children's book that brought up moral issues surrounding our relationships with animals, the earth, and human greed. ( )
  St.CroixSue | Nov 11, 2015 |
Like Eva Nine, in the WondLa series, Kester Jaynes finds that he can communicate with creatures of the wild - an ability that is particularly intriguing in a dystopian world where all animals are presumed dead - killed by the incurable red-eye virus. Kester finds himself the leader of his own "wild," the ragtag remnants of the animal world. Flora and fauna are pitted against commercial efficiency and industrialism in this first book of a planned trilogy.

The plot is occasionally predictable, but slow patches are often brightened by the humorous antics of The General (a likable but militaristic cockroach) and a befuddled white pigeon who speaks nonsense that is also somehow prophetic.

The author and narrator hail from the UK, so the reader or listener should be prepared for numerous British words that are uncommon here in the US (wellies, trainers, boot, windscreen, plaits, etc.).

(My review for AudioFile Magazine appears here: http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/reviews/read/91007/)

http://shelf-employed.blogspot.com ( )
  shelf-employed | Aug 25, 2014 |
Kester lives in a facility run by a large corporation. In his world, all the animals are dead, killed by a disease known as the redeye. All the foodstuffs and plants that might have fed the animals have been destroyed so any remaining animals would starve. The people live on a manufactured formula. Separated from his family, Kester lives a miserable limited existance, until he finds himself talking to a cockroach. Escaping the facility, he finds himself out in the wilderness with a group of surviving animals. ( )
  lilibrarian | Dec 26, 2013 |
To my parents
My story begins with me sitting on a bed, looking out the window.

In a world where animals no longer exist, Kester Jaynes feels like he hardly exists either. He's been locked away in a home for troubled children and cannot speak. Then one night some talking pigeons come to help him escape-- and the animals need him to save them too.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,027,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible