Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway (2013)

by Sara Gran

Series: Claire DeWitt (2)

2601981,168 (3.68)28
When Paul Casablancas, Claire DeWitt's musician ex-boyfriend, is found dead in his Mission District home, the police are convinced it's a simple robbery. But Claire knows nothing is ever simple. With the help of her new assistant, Claude, Claire follows the clues, finding hints to Paul's fate in her other cases -- especially that of a missing girl in the gritty 1980s East Village and a modern-day miniature horse theft in Marin.… (more)

English (18)  German (1)  All languages (19)
I loved the 1st half of the first book but didn't like its resolution. This one was sweet all the way down. The author brings us along on her film noir story with style and humor and plenty of existential dread. The myth of the peacock/vulture made me cry (but I'm easy that way). As an expat I enjoyed the Bay Area's cameo appearances. Totally recommended for those half in love with mystery novels and half in love with life. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
3.5 really. ( )
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
Weird. Can you say she solved the murder when her assistant did most of the leg work, she used her connections to just keep probing witnesses, she is unethical in her detecting and spends most of the story doing drugs? Not to mention that most of the plot is moved forward via drug-i diced dream-revelations. An author can use that trick maybe once in a story, but not regularly. That is just week writing in my opinion. Dreams might reveal important info in real life, but in a written narrative it is just too construed to feel real.
The ongoing subplot of the past mystery memory felt unconnected to the current mystery. Maybe I would have been more invested if I had read the first book, but I didn't and I won't. Not worth it. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Nov 22, 2020 |
Claire DeWitt carries her psychic scars with her into every case. Tracy and Constance, friends and teachers lost, are never far from her thoughts. This case, though, gives her a new one. Former boyfriend Paul Casablancas winds up dead in what the police say is a robbery gone wrong. Claire doesn't buy it. However, this case creates a new scar, one that bleeds, one that all the coke in the world snorted up her nose won't cure. Paul, it seems was someone she loved, someone she couldn't allow herself to commit to, a lost opportunity and realizing that makes her realize other things about herself and her past. The who did it, in this case, is not as important as Claire facing down, and starting to take responsibility, for her past choice. However, a major twist at the end leads us down the road to a new mystery, and, possibly, some truth. ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |
Hilarious, heartbreaking, and unlike any detective novel I've read before. Well, except Claire DeWitt's previous outing, of course. ( )
  pjohanneson | May 5, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

I met Paul when a friend of mine Tabitha played at the Hotel Utah late one Thursday night.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,457,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible