Raising Steam

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Industrial (6), Discworld (40)

2,557994,249 (3.77)2 / 122
"Change is afoot in Ankh-Morpork--Discworld's first steam engine has arrived, and once again Moist von Lipwig finds himself with a new and challenging job"--

English (98)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (99)
Written well after illness would have stopped most of us from trying to write at all, this doesn't come close to living up to his previous work. Hate to say it about one of my favorite authors, but I would recommend skipping it.

Really, it is largely a rehash of the previous two Moist von Lipwig books, both of which did a much better job with character, humor and story. I wouldn't recommend this one unless you are just a completionist and want to finish it because of the story. ( )
  jercox | Jun 2, 2021 |
For the first 3/4 I was reading for duty and completeness. I did eventually get caught up in the plot. Not up to the usual Discworld standard. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | May 23, 2021 |
I was about 30 pages into it the first time I gave up. I started again after a few weeks and this time got about 40% through. It's not a bad book. There's some great walk-on parts with some of my favourite characters and the story is ok, it's just that I feel it's all a little hollow really. At the same time I did kind-of enjoy what I read. It's just that it simply didn't draw me in the way I'd like it to have.

I'll definitely read this at some point. Probably in the not too distant future too. It is a Discworld novel after all's said and done.

Maybe I just need to be in a more Discworldy frame of mind first.
  SFGale | Mar 23, 2021 |
This is one of the industrialization novels in the Discworld series and we get to follow the scoundrel Moist von Lipwig around. It's a funny book, but not one of the great ones.

The main topic in this book is probably the humanization of goblins and the reactionary streams among dwarves. I don't feel Pratchett managed to make any of those plots entertaining apart from some goblin scenes. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |
Raising Steam doesn't rank among Terry Pratchett's best efforts. Still, his wit, wisdom, and the compassion of his worldview are as strong and as welcome to me as ever.

I've sometimes felt that his more recent works have gotten overly formulaic. This newest entry to the pantheon of Discworld proves the point.

The fact that even his middling, formulaic output still ranks as some of the best social satire in the English language tells us everything we need to know about the man's genius.

More worrying to me, though, is the language in this novel. It feels choppy to me, in a way that his writing isn't normally. His turns of phrase seem to have lost some of the elegance that he used to possess.

Perhaps it's something in the nature of dictating his work now vs. writing it, that has changed how he handles language. I understand the need for this shift in his creative method.

Or it could just be that he had an off day.

In any case, I'm grateful that I still get to read new works from him. ( )
  johnthelibrarian | Aug 11, 2020 |
Pratchett's unforgettable characters and lively story mirror the best, the worst, and the oddest bits of our own world, entertaining readers while skewering social and political foibles in a melting pot of humanity, dwarfs, trolls, goblins, vampires, and a werewolf or two.
added by melmore | editPublisher's Weekly (Feb 24, 2014)

If sometimes the mighty engine of Pratchett's prose skids a bit on the upslope – a tad didactic here, a little heavy-handed in its moralising there – we can forgive him. Not least because he remains one of the most consistently funny writers around; a master of the stealth simile, the time-delay pun and the deflationary three-part list .
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Ben Aaronovitch (Nov 27, 2013)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ward, ClaireCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To David Pratchett and Jim Wilkins, both fine engineers
who taught their sons to be curious.
It is hard to understand nothing, but the multiverse is full of it.
"While it's easy to deal with stupid, bloody stupid is hard to erase."

Steam is rising over Discworld, driven by Mister Simnel, the man with a flat cap and a sliding rule. He has produced a great clanging monster of a machine that harnesses the power of all of the elements—earth, air, fire, and water—and it’s soon drawing astonished crowds.

To the consternation of Ankh-Morpork’s formidable Patrician, Lord Vetinari, no one is in charge of this new invention. This needs to be rectified, and who better than the man he has already appointed master of the Post Office, the Mint, and the Royal Bank: Moist von Lipwig. Moist is not a man who enjoys hard work—unless it is dependent on words, which are not very heavy and don’t always need greasing. He does enjoy being alive, however, which makes a new job offer from Vetinari hard to refuse.

Moist will have to grapple with gallons of grease, goblins, a fat controller with a history of throwing employees down the stairs, and some very angry dwarfs if he’s going to stop it all from going off the rails . . .

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,124,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible