Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.…

Glory O'Brien's History of the Future (edition 2014)

by A. S. King (Author), Christine Lakin (Narrator), Hachette Audio (Publisher)

Member:smiteme
Title:Glory O'Brien's History of the Future
Authors:A. S. King (Author)
Other authors:Christine Lakin (Narrator), Hachette Audio (Publisher)
Info:Hachette Audio (2014)
Tags:own it, fiction, science fiction, feminism, mental illness, depression, suicide, anxiety, audio, read it, read in 2019, dystopia, cults

Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A. S. King

Ugh, this book... It infected my BRAIN, you guys. It was there in my dreams and whenever I closed my eyes. It is haunting, weird, funny, and improbably hopeful at the end. ( )
  doryfish | Mar 6, 2019 |
RGG: Wonderful. Similar sensibility to Zentner's Serpent King. Interesting references to a world similar to Atwood's Handmaid's Tale. A mature read, but also a quick read. Highly recommended. Reading Interest: 14-YA.
  rgruberhighschool | Jun 13, 2018 |
I am a big AS King fan and there are a couple books of King’s I haven’t read...this was one of them. I ended up really really loving this AS King book; I think it is my favorite AS King book so far. I love the protagonist's snarky attitude and thought the ability she gained was really interesting.

Imagine if you could look at a person and see, not only the past and the past of their ancestors, but also the future and the future of their descendants? What would you do if you found out that one of the descendants is going to change life as we know it and not for the better? How would you make people believe you?

This was a crazily creative book that I found both highly entertaining and a bit scary and creepy. The future portrayed here was scarily possible and absolutely terrifying.

I could not put this book down and ended up devouring this whole book in one night. I immediately gave it to my husband and told him to read it and I really think everyone should read it both to be entertained and as a cautionary tale of what the future could be come.

There is so much in here aside from Glory’s strange ability. She is dealing with her mother’s suicide, issues at school, a cult, and her own self worth. There is so much packed into this book that makes you really think and stretches your imagination.

This is actually one of A.S King’s more approachable books in my opinion; it’s not quite as abstract and ambiguous as some of King’s other works.

Overall I absolutely adored this book to pieces. I would recommend everyone read it. It was absolutely amazing. So creative and so hard to put down. ( )
  krau0098 | May 10, 2018 |
library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
Readers will be amazed and horrified at the same time while reading the ultra feminist, thought provoking science fiction novel that is Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.S King. Glory is about to graduate high school and she has no idea what is coming next. Glory doesn't even know if she has a future or if she is going to follow in her dead mother's footsteps and stick her head in an oven. But when after one night she develops visions of a horrifying future for women she realizes that she may very well have a purpose. This book was amazing and showed me such a different view on how our future could unfold if women lose their place in society. I loved all the questions that Glory asked the readers throughout this book it really made me feel like she was directly talking to me. The horrific visions of the future that Glory gets made this story so original and very feminist and faraway and yet still believable. A.S. King's writing style is amazing and depressing and so deep and still has points of comedy and happiness. I would highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone but especially to lovers of science fiction and feminist writing. The writing is slightly mature and is more to the age range of high school students and mature middle school students. ( )
  rebeccabarer | Aug 22, 2016 |

A. S. Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
King, A.S.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Casal, LizCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"As her high school graduation draws near, Glory O'Brien begins having powerful and terrifying visions of the future as she struggles with her long-buried grief over her mother's suicide"--

A. S. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,907,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible