Where the Stars Still Shine

by Trish Doller

2432088,371 (3.77)3
Abducted at age five, Callie, now seventeen, has spent her life on the run but when her mother is finally arrested and she is returned to her father in small-town Florida, Callie must find a way to leave her past behind, become part of a family again, and learn that love is more than just a possibility.… (more)

I started this book when it came out, but had to put it down and read something lighter, because I was coming off some pretty dark books and needed a break. I loved Ms Doller'sfist novel Something Like Normal I’m glad I picked this back up to finish.

Callie has been with her mother traveling from place to place, never going to school, and becoming a parent to her mother as life has progressed. When Mom is stopped by the police, Callie is surprised to discover that she’s considered a kidnapped victim and has a father who wants her. Callie has a lot to think about and deal with; she suffers from PSTD, while she wrestles with a painful mix of relief and guilt over not being with her mom. She’s used to being able to make her own choices, so struggles with authority. But her freedom is not something she’s ever hoped for, so we worry about her and wait on edge to see/read which way she’ll choose. Stay with dad? Or leave with mom?
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
This was the perfect pool read. It had a fun flirty setting with deep rooted emotion. There are triggers so you have been warned!

Callie is abducted by her own mother... She is used to living alone and fighting her own battles so when she is sent to live with her father and an actual family her world is turned upside down. She has to navigate through her dark past, new love, and endless possibilities. It's not an easy journey, but with a good support system, she learns to live for herself.

I'm from Florida so I really appreciated the local spots being mentioned and just the beachy vibes. The characters were messy, but in all the right ways. Picture two damaged people coming together to form a beautiful relationship and you have Callie and Alex. Their love was forbidden and a tad tragic. Both had life problems and until they dealt with them, they couldn't truly be together. It was not at all my typical read, but I really enjoyed it! ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Apr 25, 2019 |
Where the Stars Still Shine has drained me completely. The heartbreaking life the protagonist Callie faced on the run was an unnecessary predicament brought on by her mother who has a serious mental illness. The devastating reality of what her life has been like compared to what her life could have been like with her father brings up emotions of anger and betrayal in Callie. Not only was she left alone to wander the streets at night, time after time, but when she was younger she was taken advantage of by someone her mother should have protected her from. I was horrified when Callie had flashbacks and nightmares of her childhood. It killed me inside and it makes me think of the poor girls and boys who don't have a voice to save them.

I feel like Callie tried so hard in her life to not feel by throwing herself at boys. A reader can probably be put off by this aspect of her but I felt like it showed her vulnerable side. In my mind she is trying to find someone to keep those thoughts out of her head. When she gets to her new home she meets Alex who I couldn't see as the "improbably choice" for her like the synopsis promises right away. Her friend and cousin, Kat, even warns her that he just wants to get in her pants. And that seems exactly to be the case and I was a bit annoyed with that development. But, I warmed up to Alex and the way he was with Callie even if he was and Callie came together primarily for sex when they first met. He has some things going on with his life as well. I wish facets of his life were resolved with him concerning his father but other things that happened to him made up for it.

I love that the Greek culture is embedded into this story in small ways. Everything comes back to being about family. The loss and love shared so intimately in this story can only be endured with family and loved ones on your side. I would have enjoyed even more interaction with Callie and different family members but what was given in this story was still well done. I just can't go over how much this book affected me. It's one of those books that brings out real issues that shouldn't be an issue. Being able to feel safe is a right we should all have. I felt for Callie so much. She didn't deserve to feel how she did because of someone's choice to take her innocence away from her. This is a book that makes you think and want to take action which is what really made Where the Stars Still Shine worth reading. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |

ReadersCandyb | Sep 11, 2017 |
I finished a book, it's like a miracle!

I still like this author a lot but this book's pacing was like actual molasses in literary-form. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,261,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible