Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

Young Adult Fiction. Young Adult Literature. HTML:In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life‚??and she‚??s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it‚??s what got them through their mother leaving.
Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.
Cath‚??s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can‚??t let go. She doesn‚??t want to.
Now that they‚??re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn‚??t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She‚??s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can‚??t stop worrying about her dad, who‚??s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.
For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories? Open her heart to someone? Or will she just go on living
… (more)
    The Royal We by Heather Cocks (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Twin sisters who grow apart and renegotiate their relationship as they go off to college
    Spoiler Alert by Olivia Dade (nessreader)
    nessreader: For the love of geeks. Romance set in world of media fandom.
    Geekerella by Ashley Poston (souloftherose)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi (Herenya)
    Holiday Blend by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.
    Loveless by Alice Oseman (Anonymous user)

English (472)  French (3)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (478)
3 stars.

So I gave Fangirl a second chance after DNFing it two years ago. In a way, I'm glad I gave it a second chance, because there were aspects that I ended up loving.

However... I was still pretty let down.

My main problems with this story are the beginning and the ending. The beginning is super slow - it takes a while for the story to go anywhere. But when the story picks up, I started to really love it! I loved how Cath got pushed out of her comfort zone, and I enjoyed the way her character develops. I LOVED Levi!! I was honestly living for these characters and their interactions. I could really relate to the way that Cath deals with the change of entering college. I think the family issues Cath deals with also added complexity to the plot.

Buuuut then the ending came around and I was disappointed again. The way the story ends is really abrupt and felt inconclusive. I felt like there were so many loose ends left, and that there wasn't real closure. I was left wanting more.

Another thing I felt was unnecessary was how much of the story is devoted to excerpts from Simon Snow and Cath's Simon Snow fanfic. Yes, okay, fanfiction is a major plot point and aspect of Cath's character... but honestly, towards the end I was just skipping those sections. I didn't feel that reading them added a whole lot to the plot - I found them to be distracting.

Overall, I'm glad I did give Fangirl a second chance, but I still think it was flawed. The characters are amazing! I would definitely read Rainbow Rowell again for characters alone. But the plot was... lacking. It could have been more polished and resolved. ( )
  escapinginpaper | May 18, 2024 |
This book is unexpected and refreshing. The main characters are fleshed out and flawed, in such a relatable way. It gave me a lot of insight into the perspective of people who process the world's inputs in a different way than (maybe) I do.
  Dorothy2012 | Apr 22, 2024 |
Nice easy read. ( )
  T.E.Bunny | Apr 5, 2024 |
Actual Rating: 4.50
(my current review is a bit ramble-y. I just wanted to get my thoughts out, but I will refine it later)

This
was
super
ADORABLE.

UGH. My little fangirl hear is so happy. I FLEW through this book in less than a day, and read over 3/4 of it in one night. It's a very readable book!

One of the aspects I think "Fangirl" has that works really well are the multiple layers within the main story- there's a plethora of character interactions, settings, scenarios, and nothing ever felt stale. From Cath and Reagan sitting in the dining hall and commenting on students, to Cath and her dad talking about school, and everything in between, I really felt immersed in Cath's world.
There are times I've read YA books or books where the main character is a college student, and I've finshed them feeling like it wasn't real, and the character's never struggled with "normal" college stuff or never seemed to go to classes. We get to see that here, though! Cath goes to classes, and stuggles with some assignments; she doesn't get perfect grades all the time; she has family drama and fights with her sister; she feels awkward and anxious- all these things felt very real!
The scene where Cath walks through the English building three times trying to work up the nerve to see her professor was so relatable- I've had meetings with profs before and shown up an hour early, and then ended up walking laps from stress. I just really related to Cath a lot, and that made her much more likable to me.

I also like how Cath had passions, and wasn't afraid to follow them. She knew what she liked, and although she knew people might judge her for it, she continued writing about Simon and Baz. I also loved how Levi encouraged her passion and talked to her about it.
UGH LEVI.
The only thing I think didn't mesh well in "Fangirl" was the lack of closure at the end. Yes, we know what happens with some of the major themes (primarliy the relationship status of main characters) but there are too many unanswered threads.
Cath's fiction project? Laura, their mother? The upcoming summer? I just think the ending was too fast and didn't give quite enough. "Fangirl" is practically begging for a sequel!

I will definitley be rereading this book (and maybe write some Cath/Levi fanfiction while I'm at it? )

deborahee | Feb 23, 2024 |
Very disappointing. The Simon Snow stuff was excruciating to get through and the romance was lame compared to Eleanor and Park.

It was an easy read and might work for younger readers more than it did for me. ( )
  hmonkeyreads | Jan 25, 2024 |

Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Awards

Notable Lists

For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
There was a boy in her room.
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,891,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible