Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

The Royal We by Heather Cocks (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Twin sisters who grow apart and renegotiate their relationship as they go off to college
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Holiday Blend by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (328)  French (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (334)
Yes, even I liked this book even though I don't prefer YA or romantic-y feelings or whatever. Don't judge me. ( )
  ktshpd | Oct 22, 2018 |
Fangirl starts off great. I think most bookworms can relate to Cath and her love for a series that sounds very similar to Harry Potter. I loved the first half of the book, you can tell Levi is into her but she has no idea. She rather write fanfiction than go out like her twin and she is worried about her dad being alone. The story starts to drag though when after finally kissing Levi, she sees him kissing someone else, of course. She freaks out about her professor being upset she turned in fan fiction and instead of bouncing back from it she dwells and feels she can't write anything original for her final project, and her dad has a bit of a mental breakdown while Wren is getting to know their mom that abandoned them. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
4.5 stars

I can't believe how much I identified with this protagonist. I swear, I'm Cath. Never have I felt the desire to protect a character so much from the meanness in the world.

Some reviewers found this book's plot too simple. Some found themselves distant from Cath and the fictional world she writes within. I had the opposite reaction. For me, this was an emotionally charged read. Yes, it was often cheesy, and the Harry Potter references didn't always work (the text mentions Harry at one point, even though Simon Snow IS Harry in this universe), but I really felt like I was transported into the mind of my younger self.

Frankly, I'm just happy to not read another quirky romance where characters are quirky for quirkiness sake (a point that Rowell makes several times throughout the text - no old Volvos or cigarette-stained fingers here! Thank god). These characters were simple, but they felt real.

I didn't get on the Eleanor and Park train, but holy smokes, Fangirl resonated with me. ( )
  lhofer | Sep 26, 2018 |
This was a very engaging novel with a clear-sighted view of being a teenager, navigating personal relationships, and family drama. It was really nice to see a depiction of fanfiction for what it actually is. Wonderful book with multiple layers that's hard to put down. ( )
  mmaestiho | Sep 20, 2018 |
I liked this so much more than Eleanor and Park. The characters in Fangirl were all just as quirky, but at least five times more likeable and relatable. This book managed to maintain a lighthearted and hopeful tone even while dealing with serious issues.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caulfield, MaxwellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible