Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.
    The Royal We by Heather Cocks (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Twin sisters who grow apart and renegotiate their relationship as they go off to college
    Spoiler Alert by Olivia Dade (nessreader)
    nessreader: For the love of geeks. Romance set in world of media fandom.
    Loveless by Alice Oseman (Anonymous user)
    Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi (Herenya)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Holiday Blend by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (441)  French (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (447)
  Emmie199x | Jul 25, 2022 |
4 stars. It could have been five stars, but there were things that annoyed me too much. (Read the comments I made during).

Still I really likes thia book. ( )
  AceVonS | Jul 14, 2022 |
I nearly gave this book 4 stars. I loved Levi, especially in the first 3/4 of the book. I liked Cath—I understood her love of fanfiction and her social awkwardness. However, the story never felt believable to me. Some of the characters didn’t ring true. While I ended up appreciating the layer of fanfiction for what it truly signified, I’d didn’t really like the Simon-Baz storyline itself. I really liked this book most of the time, but it doesn’t hold a candle to Attachments (not only my favorite Rowell book so far, but also one of my favorite books ever). ( )
  samanddiane1999 | Jun 22, 2022 |
Charmigt & nördigt! Första halvan av boken är i princip perfekt. ( )
  kattriarkatet | Jun 21, 2022 |
Rated in 2017 - 3 stars
Rated in 2013 - 5 stars

Review 2017
My opinion is much changed since the first read.
There are many more frustrations that I overlooked on first read. Ah, but what a difference a few years make, especially now that I know a little more about anxiety and other disorders. (cats, curiosity and all). The book isn't perfect, true. But I still liked it more than I disliked it.
I'm not sure if the book should be recommended, but I would not dissuade people from giving it a try.
FINAL VERDICT : TRY IT

Review 2013
Okay. This is hard to review.
Mostly because I can relate to fandom escapism, at least to a certain degree.
Gods, these people are so broken that it makes the story beautiful. I like how the characters developed throughout the book. It's such a contrast!

Maybe not for everyone, but you should definitely give this one a go ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |

Rowell, Rainbowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caulfield, MaxwellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
There was a boy in her room.
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,818,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible