Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.
    The Royal We by Heather Cocks (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Twin sisters who grow apart and renegotiate their relationship as they go off to college
    Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi (Herenya)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Spoiler Alert by Olivia Dade (nessreader)
    nessreader: For the love of geeks. Romance set in world of media fandom.
    Holiday Blend by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (407)  French (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (413)
Oh, such a problematic book to review! On one hand, I loved it. I loved the characters and the love story and the way the author works in so many pop culture touchstones of the past decade or so in such a funny way. On the other, there are ways that it just doesn't work, and it's the weakest of the three books by Rainbow Rowell that I've read since July (Obviously, I like her writing!).

I hate writing plot summaries, but to give some basic background: the main character, Cath, and her twin sister, Wren, are popular writers of online fan-fiction based on a very Harry Potter-esque book series. Rowell intersperses chapters about Cath with excerpts from Cath's fan-fiction as well as excerpts from the books that her fan-fiction is supposed to be based on. Even though Rowell places all of these excerpts strategically and with an end in mind, I found them irritating, and just whizzed through them so I could get back to the main story. It seems to me that anyone who isn't already familiar with the world of fan-fiction will be totally confused by this structure. I AM familiar with fan-fiction, but the mix here didn't work for me. It did serve, though, as an interesting vehicle for Cath and her professor to discuss compelling questions about writing, creativity, and what fan-fiction is and is not.

Then there's a question that's probably only of interest to librarians and booksellers, about where this book belongs. My library hasn't ordered it yet, and I think it's being marketed as Young Adult, but the main characters are 18-21, which makes it fall more in the genre that many are now calling New Adult. But, since New Adult is also often associated with more explicit sex scenes than Young Adult fiction generally has, and there's a very sweet, soft-pedal approach to sex here, it doesn't really fit there either. It doesn't have to fit anywhere, of course, but it's something I wondered about as I read.

So, a mixed bag, all in all. I haven't read any reviews yet, and am interested to. I'd say it definitely won't fall into that "crossover appeal" category that many Young Adult novels of the past few years have. The market here is mostly under-25, and for some in that demographic the mish mash of fan-fiction and regular fiction may be a thrill. Me? I'd rather she had just stuck with the main story, but am still glad I read it. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
I liked this book for the first three-quaters of it. But, after that, it fell flat for me and I just didn't like the way everything was tied together. I kept wanting more-- or to at least get to the point where I was satisfied and felt like everything had been properly explained. Another thing for me was that I was wondering what the purpose of everything was. There wasn't a strong plot, and while I liked the book and was entertained by it, I kept asking myself where it was going.

Really mixed feelings on it. But I did like it. ( )
  HLWard94 | Jul 7, 2021 |
This book was really enjoyable but there was something about the fanfic and cuts to Simon and Baz stories that left me unsettled since it was like a fanfic about writing fanfic about Harry Potter and Hogwarts. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
adult/teen fiction; college romance. I would put this more in the "adult" category than teen--not for any violence or sex (there is drinking, but it does not end well) but because most teens would never get the old movie references. Still, I enjoy Rowell's characters and though this isn't my favorite of her books, it was a pretty good read. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
There was a boy in her room.
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,359,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible