What I Thought Was True by Huntley…

What I Thought Was True (edition 2014)

by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Member:cbritt29
Title:What I Thought Was True
Authors:Huntley Fitzpatrick
Info:Dial (2014), Hardcover, 416 pages

What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick

3.5 stars.

I wanted to love this book because My Life Next Door is one of my favorite contemporaries, but this one was a little more "meh" for me. I definitely enjoyed it overall and I loved that the family relationships were still very prevalent and important.

However while very very sweet and cute at some points, there was also a little too much angst at times, and a few parts were a bit predictable.

Overall though, definitely enjoyable and worth a read! ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |
All the elements I loved about "My Life Next Door" were there (beach, summer, interesting family), but for me this novel dragged. Gwen and Cass (and Gwen and other guys in the book) have a history, but that history was slow to be revealed. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if it had been New Adult instead of YA. (edit: to clarify: from my perspective, the characters had a lot of adult responsibility to be high school students. For me, it would have worked better if this had been a summer between college instead of high school. I could have better believed the maturity and bitterness). ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
I loved The Boy Next Door, so I wanted to try some other books by Hunter Fitzpatrick. I am not sure why, but I just could not get into this story or these characters. It was not horrible, but I found myself reading and not paying attention to what I was actually reading. I feel the story was all over the place with nothing happening. There were so many different stories and none of them really brought much to the whole story or pulled it all together.
This is about teens finding themselves. It was good, just not great. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jun 5, 2017 |
What I Though Was True centers around a girl named Gwen. Gwen works as a maid on the island like her mother. Gwen is worried she will be stuck as a maid forever and that she will never be able to move up in life. Gwen resents the summer people who are rich and live in huge houses that they only occupy during the summer. When Gwen meets Cas, a wealthy local her views are changed forever. I love how this story also focuses on Gwen's relationships with her family. Gwen is kind and caring toward her brother Emory who has a form of autism. Gwen also has a great relationship with her grandfather who is full of helpful advice. This is an inspiring book about wishing for a better life and achieving your goals. Gwen is an amazing person that is hardworking and filled with strength! Huntley Fitzpatrick knows how to write amazing characters and i would recommend any of his books! ( )
  brookelmartin | Apr 1, 2016 |
I was a huge fan of My Life Next Door, and I've had What I Thought Was True on my to-read shelf ever since I finished it. I've walked past it at bookstores a few times, always thinking, next time I'll buy it. Well, I bought it. And it's good. And I'm kicking myself for waiting so long.

Gwen Castle, our protagonist, lives on the wrong side of Seashell Island. She spends her summers working for her father at his beachside restaurant, where she waits on the wealthy summer visitors. This summer, though, she's working as a "companion" for the well off, elderly Mrs. Ellington. Since she'll be spending her days with Mrs. Ellington and her nights with her friends, this summer will be the perfect time to finally get past the mistakes she made over the last year.

Cassidy Somers is the epitome of everything Gwen wants to forget. A mistake of a night. A boy she thought had feelings for her, then turned around and crushed her heart. Gwen never thought that Cass would be working on the island this summer too -- that in order to whip his son into shape, Cass's father would make him work as the island's "yard boy," spending his days tending the lawns of Seashell Island's rich and lazy.

As much as Gwen tries to avoid Cass, it seems that they're constantly thrown together. As their time together increases exponentially, she's forced to re-evaluate her assumptions and misconceptions about their short-lived relationship. Nothing is what it seems.

Just like in My Life Next Door, I appreciated the honest, realistic portrayals of teenagers in What I Thought Was True. Gwen and Cass, and their friends for that matter, are imperfect but lovable characters. Nobody is all good or all bad. Sometimes in YA, the situations are so unrealistic that I can't imagine any of them happening to a teenager. In My Life Next Door, everything feels like something that happened to me, one of my friends, or one of my classmates in high school. Misunderstandings, heartbreak, and volatile emotions -- all presented in a real, refreshing way.

Another thing I really like about Huntley Fitzpatrick's books is that she deals with teenage sexuality in a sensitive, but, again, realistic way. Gwen slept with a few boys last year that she'd rather forget. She's getting a bit of a reputation, and she knows it. But while Gwen is upset at the way the boys refer to her, and she regrets some of her sexual partners, she's never slut-shamed. This kind of message is so important for teenage girls, and I'm glad that Ms. Fitzpatrick is getting it out there.

I had a really hard time putting this book down, and it was a great reminder of how much I love Huntley Fitzpatrick's books prior to the release of The Boy Most Likely To. If you're looking for a summer romance with a deeper message, don't miss this one. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |

"17-year-old Gwen Castle is a working-class girl determined to escape her small island town, but when rich-kid Cass Somers, with whom she has a complicated romantic history, shows up, she's forced to reassess her feelings about her loving, complex family, her lifelong best friends, her wealthy employer, the place she lives, and the boy she can't admit she loves"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,184,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible