The rose and the thorn by Michael J.…

The rose and the thorn (edition 2013)

by Michael J. Sullivan

Member:BubiBalboa
Title:The rose and the thorn
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan
Info:London : Orbit, 2013.
Rating:*****

The Rose and the Thorn by Michael J. Sullivan

Every time I read a Riyria book, it just makes me happy and can take me out of any reading slump. I enjoy reading about Royce and Hadrian and their escapades and learning new things about them and all the other characters in their world. It just fascinates me :) In The Rose and the Thorn, we get to see some more back story and how their headquarters came to be. Although a sad story, we also get introduced to Hilfred and see how he got to where he is. The plot moved a little slowly, but I was never not interested. Another great read :D ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
THE ROSE AND THE THORN is the second book in the Riyria Chronicles series of standalones. Whereas the first book, THE CROWN TOWER, told the story of how Royce and Hadrian became partners, this book tells the story of how they came to form Riyria and ended up in the arrangement we see them in at the beginning of THEFT OF SWORDS. A year after the events of THE CROWN TOWER, Royce and Hadrian are back in Medford and stop by at Gwen’s – only she won’t see them because she’s been beaten up, and she’s trying to protect them from getting themselves killed trying to help her. Of course, this is Royce and Hadrian, and they can take care of themselves. We also get some additional viewpoints at Castle Essendon, the seat of the royal family of Melengar, as a plot against them unfolds.

This was a fun story, it was nice to see Royce and Hadrian settle into their element. Plus, we are introduced to early versions of more of the Riyria Revelations cast. I always think of these books as cozy, but there’s actually a fair amount of death and destruction and darkness, exemplified by Royce’s actions. Royce is terrifying, and I don’t know why I think of him as lovable.

The last chapter of this book (The Visitor) really frustrated me, though – its only purpose seemed to be to set up THEFT OF SWORDS with all the subtlety of a hammer. Foreshadowing is great, but the most fun thing about it is putting things together from what seem like inconsequential details upon first glance. I already thought the references to an unrevealed co-conspirator were fairly obvious, but to tack on a whole chapter laying it all out in the open felt like overkill. And reading this chapter also made me figure out the feeling I have when reading Sullivan’s books that I haven’t been able to articulate in my previous reviews – the dialogue in his books is always a little bit too on-the-nose for his characters to feel completely real. Especially the villains – they often explain their plans concisely and articulately at some point.

Despite my complaints, I still really enjoy these books, and I’m hurriedly reviewing this book so that I can get to THE DEATH OF DULGATH. I’m particularly excited about that one because it feels like it’ll be more of a standalone adventure and not so much of the origin story that the first two books have been. And after that, I’m also contemplating a reread of the Riyria Revelations ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
Author: Michael Sullivan   Rating: 4 of 5 Stars   Synopsis: Hadrian and Royce must work together to save the girls of Medford House without becoming implicated in an attempt on the Royal family.   My Thoughts
With each book that expands the Riyria world, I hesitate before reading, afraid that maybe THIS is the book that Sullivan disappoints me with. For even Sanderson, he who needs no first name, has let me down.   Thankfully, that book wasn't this book.   I was just as impressed with this book as I was the previous Chronicles book. Royce and Hadrian are much more of a functioning team than just 2 individuals working for a common goal.   We get a good bit of the backstory of Melengar and Arista and Family that fleshes out what we know from the Revelations series. Some of the Church's motivations and schemes are revealed and more of the political landscape is in sight.   And finally, we get to see Royce do some slicing and dicing.         Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Oops, he did it again!

We rejoin Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn one year after their first deadly mission together. They have continued to partner and are getting into the groove of accepting their differences.

At the end of The Crown Tower, they had met Gwen. One year later, they are going back to Medford to visit her. In Medford, there is a nefarious plot to assassinate the King and this story line weaves in numerous characters who will continue on into The Riyria Revelations series. We meet the King's children, the young Alric and Arista as well as the Pickerings. We also get a closeup of Viscount Albert Winslow as he carries out his first job for Hadrian and Royce. But the stand-out star of this particular tale for me was Reuben Hilfred, whose story is heart-wrenching.

I continue to love these books! ( )
  sherribelcher | Feb 15, 2016 |
This is the second book in the prequel to the Riyera Revelations.
The two adventurers, Royce and Hadrian return to see a friend again, but she refuses to see them, as she's been badly treated by a noble and she's worried that they will become involved and put in danger.
They do become involved and things become a real mess.
Good adventure. Appealing characters. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |

TWO THIEVES WANT ANSWERS. RIYRIA IS BORN.
For more than a year Royce Melborn has tried to forget Gwen DeLancy, the woman who saved him and his partner Hadrian Blackwater from certain death. Unable to get her out of his mind, the two thieves return to Medford but receive a very different reception --- Gwen refuses to see them. The victim of abuse by a powerful noble, she suspects that Royce will ignore any danger in his desire for revenge. By turning the thieves away, Gwen hopes to once more protect them. What she doesn't realize is what the two are capable of --- but she's about to find out.

The Riyria Revelations and The Riyria Chronicles are two separate, but related series, and you can start reading with either Theft of Swords (publication order) or The Crown Tower (chronological order).

Two thieves want answers. Riyria is born.
For more than a year Royce Melborn has tried to forget Gwen DeLancy, the woman who saved him and his partner Hadrian Blackwater from certain death. Unable to get her out of his mind, the two thieves return to Medford but receive a very different reception -- Gwen refuses to see them. The victim of abuse by a powerful noble, she suspects that Royce will ignore any danger in his desire for revenge. By turning the thieves away, Gwen hopes to once more protect them. What she doesn't realize is what the two are capable of -- she's about to find out.

Publication Order
Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations #1 & #2): contains The Crown Conspiracy & AvemparthaRise of Empire   (Riyria Revelations #3 & #4): contains Nyphron Rising & The Emerald StormHeir of Novron  (Riyria Revelations #5 & #6): contains Wintertide & PercepliquisThe Crown Tower (Riyria Chronicles #1)The Rose and the Thorn (Riyria Chronicles #2)

Chronological Order
The Crown Tower (Riyria Chronicles #1)The Rose and the Thorn (Riyria Chronicles #2)Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations #1 & #2): contains The Crown Conspiracy & AvemparthaRise of Empire   (Riyria Revelations #3 & #4): contains Nyphron Rising & The Emerald StormHeir of Novron  (Riyria Revelations #5 & #6): contains Wintertide & Percepliquis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:53 -0400)

Royce Melborn and Hadrian Blackwater return to Gwen DeLancy, the woman who saved them from certain death, and discover she has been brutally beaten by a powerful noblemen.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,019,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible