The Core: Book Five of The Demon Cycle by…

The Core: Book Five of The Demon Cycle (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Peter V. Brett (Author)

Member:LexieS17
Title:The Core: Book Five of The Demon Cycle
Authors:Peter V. Brett (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2017), 881 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:adult dark fantasy, adult epic fantasy, anti-hero fantasy, assassin fantasy, grimdark fantasy, gritty fantasy, heroic fantasy, high fantasy, magic fantasy, sword and sorcery

The Core by Peter V. Brett (2017)

English (9)  German (1)  All languages (10)
As the greatest city-states of Thesa battle the rising demon hordes, Arlen Bales and Ahmann Jardir take the final fight for the future of Thesa down into the Core of the world, the domain of the demon Queen and her mind-controlling princes.

In this book the plot lines are more divergent so a wider variety of characters provide point-of-view chapters allowing readers to keep up with events as they happen in various locations. These new character voices add interest and gives readers something new for this 5th book. There were a couple of major plot points which were said to be crucial, and they absolutely could’ve been used in interesting ways but the way everything was resolved they ended up being red herrings.

There are plenty of battle scenes, each with their own characteristics and highlighting the growing threat of the demons, which finally prompts the Thesan city-states to put aside their warring and politicking and face the threat to humanity together. Heading into the final battle for their world Arlen and Ahmann have some last-minute philosophical jitters prompting role reversals – it was nice to see that right up until the end the characters were still being developed and learning from their experiences.

The Core is the final instalment of Brett’s Demon Cycle series, and provides a satisfying conclusion to the series with all plot lines resolved. The final scene however leaves things wide open for future stories set in this world. ( )
  SouthernKiwi | Jan 26, 2019 |
This was a satisfying ending to the series. In the final two books quite a few new characters are introduced and minor characters inflated into major ones, while previously main characters don't get nearly as much air time, which is disappointing. Overall well written and exciting. ( )
  Griffin22 | Oct 16, 2018 |
The Core is the fifth and final book in The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett. The story picks up immediately where book 4 leaves off and for once there is no flash back scene starting us off. No more messing around with the fate of humanity on the line! Well, sort of.

Arlen Bales and Ahmanan Jardir have set aside their rivalry and planned to do the impossible: take the fight to the home of the demons. They know it they must be quick as the demon queen is about to lay eggs that will start a swarm of hives across Thesa. Meanwhile, the people of Thesa and Krasia continue to their political squabbles. They must learn to unite or no one will survive the battle that is to come.

Holy plot lines, Batman! Every single character, important or not, is back in this final installment. This includes people from the novellas that I haven't read and was scratching my head about until I looked them up. It seems that Brett wants to wrap up as much as humanly possible in this last book. This is both satisfying and annoying. It is nice to be reminded of old side characters and to see everything going on across the land but it also bogs the main plot of the story down greatly as we have to read through several hundred pages before we join back up with Arlen and Jardir on their quest. It is with all these extra points of view that Brett kept the soap opera going, which is great if you're into that kind of thing and annoying if you'd gotten tired of them like I had. These books greatly need Arlin, Jardir and Leesha to keep the plot moving, hence making the story's pacing seem off as they're not featured near enough in the first half. So while it was nice enough to read what else is going on, it was also frustrating to be kept waiting so long.

It is some of these side plots where some truly bizarre story telling comes in. I really don't see the purpose of the Eunuch Army plot thread, going into graphic descriptions of how some of the eunuchs were made, as a point to prove that Hassik was a bad person and give someone for Ashia to fight? It seemed pointless, especially when men were volunteering to join. I didn't find that believable at all. It made all of Abban's chapters difficult to read. And truly, even after Inevera making such a point as to how important Abban was going to be, he really wasn't. I also have no idea why Brett felt the need to throw in a hermaphrodite baby along with full descriptions of the condition. Or a demon magic induced teen orgy. This was almost enough for me to set the book aside. I'm glad I pushed through.

The good news is the pacing picks up dramatically in the second half of the book when Sharak Ka finally starts. This is exactly what I'd been waiting for and what I'd hoped to read about. It was so good to see humanity FINALLY realize just how dire their situation was and set aside their petty squabbles to face the true enemy. And truly, if not for Arlen's actions in the core, the demons would have won. This leads to some intense fight scenes which reminds me of how well Brett writes battles. They are cinematic.

All in all, I think the book was a satisfactory end to the series. I just wish the story had been more focused instead of sprawling out to so many different characters and unnecessary plots. ( )
1 vote Narilka | Oct 11, 2018 |
The end of the Demon Cycle books. Arlen and Jardir, with several others, head to the core to put an end to the war of the demons, as their allies above fight the increasing power of the attacks on the human towns. ( )
  lilibrarian | Sep 17, 2018 |
Great end to the series!

Can't wait to see what the author chooses to do next. ( )
  josh513 | Feb 3, 2018 |
For Sirena Lilith, who is already changing my life in countless ways.
"Es wird einen Schwarm geben."

The conclusion of the "fantasy saga of humans winnowed to the point of extinction by night-stalking demons, and the survivors who fight back"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,186,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible