The Unbound (2014)

by Victoria Schwab

Series: The Archived (2)

Starting her junior year at Hyde School, Mackenzie Bishop, a Keeper tasked with stopping violent Histories from escaping the Archive, becomes the prime suspect when several people vanish without a trace.

I enjoyed the second one of these a litle bit more than the first. And what a lovely surprise for a character to go to school and for her peers to be nice. I thought all US schools were full of sociopaths and psychopaths! A non repeat of the trope gets a big tick from me. It is YA but not as superficial as that label can be. ( )
  infjsarah | Feb 27, 2021 |
The previous novel in this series was a slow starter, but Schwab really hit her stride in this second instalment. The pacing picked up a quite a bit, and the dual plot lines (Mac dealing with a new school and her duties as a Keeper for the Archives) balanced a lot better than the more depressing topic of dealing with her brother's death. By the end of this novel Owen is finally gone for good, but Mac has started to question the rules of the Archive after she encounters the rigid rules and brutal enforcement tactics employed by Agatha (the district supervisor) and it isn't likely that she'll be able to just go on following along as she has before. Her relationship with Wesley is off to a promising start as well, even though it is frought with potential conflict, so the next book in the series (due to come out early next year hopefully!) should be good! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
I love this series. So much. This was a great sequel to a great book.

Short list of things to love:

- The world building was fantastic! (I mean, it's Schwab, so of course.)

- The characters not only are really likeable, but also had some GREAT development in this book! They felt way more unique in this one.

- The plot was murderous and exciting!

- The new side characters were fantastic too!

- THE BANTER!

- Literally everything. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
Once again, Victoria Schwab has charmed me. In my opinion this is even better than the Archived, which is some compliment considering that The Archived was a 4 star read, and sequel books must be so hard to write. I totally relate to this as I’ve finished my first novel and I’m now at that point when I should be thinking about writing the sequel, but it is so hard to begin. Where do you even start? I love the way in which Victoria Schwab effortlessly managed to re-introduce the back story, and all the characters, and added some new ones too. This book is a wonderful read, it has been a great help and an inspiration to me.

I was amused by her own self-reflexive review on Goodreads :

Writing this book gave me hives. Finishing it gave me an ulcer. Revising it made me hypertensive.

I am pretty sure it nearly killed me.

Here’s hoping it doesn’t hurt you to read. At least not in the same ways it hurt me to write.”

Well it didn’t hurt me, I did wince a bit in certain parts, but that was only because lady you can and do deliver a story with a punch.

I’m developing a bit of a fan thing going on here for Victoria Schwab. It all started with Vicious, then progressed onto The Archived and now we have The Unbound. Wherever will Victoria take me to next?

What did I like about the Unbound?

The DIALOGUE:You could just hear her protagonists talk, see their gestures and movements. ROMANCE: Wesley was super cute. I really enjoyed his character in the Archived but somehow in The Unbound he just evolved into super cute Wes, caring, patient, and well just there for Mac. The romance really develops in the sequel, in fact it smoulders and then sizzles at the end, so be prepared! Mac is such a wonderfully strong female character. After all that has happened to her, she is allowed to crumble, to question her nightmares, to fear where Owen is taking her. But she does it in such a believable way, she manages to pick herself up, and in this fragile state she has the courage to take on Agatha, now that’s brave. What else did I enjoy? Without doubt I admired the almost detective like feel to the second novel, and the way in which Mac touches other people’s lives, and her sense of guilt when she discovers what has befallen these innocent people when her instinctive acts of kindness have unexpected consequences.

My full review is at http://kyrosmagica.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/my-kyrosmagica-review-of-victoria-sc...

marjorie.mallon | Mar 27, 2019 |
Ugh so perfect. Mac is great and Wesley is A .

I want so much more of this world, I absolutely love it! ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |

Victoria Schwabprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vaughan, GabrielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,369,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible