The Creature Department by Robert Paul…

The Creature Department (edition 2013)

by Robert Paul Weston, Framestore (Illustrator)

"Elliot Von Doppler and his friend Leslie think nothing ever happens in Bickleburgh, except inside the gleaming headquarters of DENKi-3000--the world's eighth-largest electronics factory. When Uncle Archie vanishes, it's up to Elliot, Leslie, and every one of the unusual 'employees' to create an invention so astonishing it will save the Creature Department"--… (more)
Member:silverarrowknits
Rating:***
Tags:review, sci-fi & fantasy

Work Information

The Creature Department by Robert Paul Weston

This was a really good book and I must admit when I got reading I was hooked. I really just wanted to keep reading and reading and find out what happens next, and before I knew it, I have finished the book.
My favourite book by R. P. Weston would so far have to be Zoorgamazoo, because honestly I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THAT BOOK! When I got it I read it multiple times before my family told me to stop already. (>_>)
Next I'm going to read Dust City, and I can't wait to get into it!!! ( )
  Mithra_Azad | Mar 26, 2021 |
Kids will enjoy all the different creatures, but the rest of the book was only so so. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
The YA book THE CREATURE DEPARTMENT is full of fun, excitement, suspense, humor, yummy food, corporate espionage, memories, and lovable folks. The writer Robert Paul Weston really created something absolutely wonderful in prose. A whole new “universe” that is full of more to explore once you’ve put the book down. If the book was just words it would stand strongly and be a worthwhile read, but the art and illustrations made up by Zack Lydon and the entire team at Framestore really made it a book to behold and enjoy. ( )
  ReidHC | Jan 29, 2015 |
Summary: The Creature Department is about two kids, Elliot and Leslie. Elliot's Uncle, Professor von Doppler invites them to take a tour of where he works.
He takes them to a section of DENKI-3000 (The company he works for.) known as
The Creature Department. There Elliot and Leslie are suppose to help the creatures come up with an invention before Quazicom takes over DENKI-3000. Unfortunately, Quazicom isn't the only problem for the creatures. Evil creatures called Gorks have kidnapped Elliot's Uncle to try and steal his invention. The book ends with a battle between Gorks and the Creature department's "staff".

Review: At first, this book seemed a little cheesy. However,as it progressed, it went a little more in-depth. One of the most original ideas was that the machines needed to be powered by emotions/concepts such as hope, patience, justice, etc. The book was a pretty quick read and I felt it could have been a bit more developed since this was the first time you are introduced to the universe. However on the positive side the illustrations greatly added to the book.. This book gets a solid 3 and a half out of five stars. ( )
  johnn.b4 | Jan 24, 2015 |
I received this book for free from Wunderkind PR in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Creature Department is a middle grade book that tells of the story of two 12-year olds, Elliot and Leslie. Elliot's Uncle Archie works for an amazing electronics company that makes things like wireless mints and other fantastical inventions. The company hasn't been making any new inventions lately, and the company is going to be sold. Uncle Archie asks Elliot and his schoolmate Leslie to come to the company and help him create a new invention. Elliot and Leslie discover that the world is a bit stranger than they ever thought possible when they meet Uncle Archie's co-workers, strange and wonderful creatures!

Before I discuss the story, I need to talk about how pretty this book is! The title on the cover is raised and with each letter being shaped like a different creature, it looks super adorable. Also, the book jacket uses some glow-in-the-dark ink, so it glows (in the dark). This is the second book I have read recently that glows, and I love it. I think this gimmick is especially fun, because this is a book aimed at middle graders and the book is about creatures (I like the idea of kids reading this book in the dark with a flashlight). Once you open the book itself, you discover that the pages are just as beautiful as the cover. There are beautiful drawings every couple of pages, and there is a full page picture at the start of each chapter. The illustrations are gorgeous and the right level of cartoon-y for the story. I find myself looking back to the book just to flip through the pages and smile at the pictures. I should mention that although there are a lot of pictures, they are not overwhelming the text. This book should not be mistaken as a picture book. The pictures add to the story; they don't take over the story.

Okay, let's discuss the story! This was a fun middle grade book. The world reminds me of something akin to a Series of Unfortunate Events or a Dr. Seuss book. Leslie and Elliot are normal kids, but everything around them is a bit odd. For example, Elliot's parents are food critics and want Elliot to go to Foodie School, so they want him to describe all of their failed trials at cooking. Uncle Archie and his team of creatures created wireless mints that download great minty taste into your mouth. As you can see, the Elliot and Leslie's world is contemporary to ours but a little bit "plus-ed."
In regards to the plot, it was a cute story. Leslie and Elliot work together with the creatures and Uncle Archie to build a new invention that will keep the DENKi-3000 company in business. The story focuses on making friends even though they may look different from you and using your imagination. There were two weird side plots that had me scratching my head and feel a bit concerned about what message the book was making; however, everything was explained away by the end of the story and my worries were addressed and explained away.

Overall, this was a fun middle grade book. I wouldn't recommend this book for an adult who likes to take a dip in the MG/YA pool, but if you know a younger reader, this might be the perfect book for him or her. I give this book a 3 out of 5. ( )
  silverarrowknits | Jan 8, 2014 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,051,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible