dismiss

Night broken by Patricia Briggs

Night broken (edition 2014)

by Patricia Briggs

" #1 New York Times bestselling author Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series has been hailed as "one of the best" (Fiction Vixen). Now, Mercy must deal with an unwanted guest-one that brings a threat unlike anything she's ever known. An unexpected phone call heralds a new challenge for Mercy. Her mate Adam's ex-wife is in trouble, on the run from a stalker. Adam isn't the kind of man to turn away a person in need-and Mercy knows it. But with Christy holed up in Adam's house, Mercy can't shake the feeling that something about the situation isn't right. Soon, her suspicions are confirmed when she learns that Christy has the farthest thing from good intentions. She wants Adam back and she's willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen, including turning Adam's pack against Mercy. Mercy isn't about to step down without a fight, but there's a more dangerous threat circling. Christy's stalker is more than a bad man-in fact, he may not be human at all. As the bodies start piling up, Mercy must put her personal troubles aside to face a creature with the power to tear her whole world apart. "--… (more)
Member:daydreaming.antigone
Title:Night broken
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:New York : Ace Books, 2014.

Night Broken by Patricia Briggs

Mercy's mate and husband Adam receives a phone call from his ex wife (Christy) begging for help. She has a stalker and he has already killed someone to get her back. Moving back in with Adam and Mercy ends up bringing lingering tension between Mercy and the Pack. Also there is a new enemy that will stop at nothing to get back Christy.

I was waiting to savor "Night Broken" for a weekend when I would have nothing to do but re-read "Frost Burned" and then this novel. This is Patricia Brigg's eight novel in the Mercy Thompson series. Long-time fans know that Patricia Briggs only plans two more novel in this series and though I will be sad to see Mercy go with novels like this one it will be a little easier to take.

Though the character of Mercy has grown and changed since she has been mated to Alpha werewolf Adam a lot of other characters in the series have not. I ended up only giving this novel 3 stars though at times I wavered between 3 and 4 stars. This was due to too many plot points, pacing issues, and a total re-write of certain characters that are in the Pack.

There seemed at times way too much going on in the novel for me to focus on just one thing. For example, the vampires make an appearance and threw a new wrench into Mercy and Stephen's relationship. The plot already had a lot going on with Mercy and the Pack trying to figure out who Christy's stalker is without involving the vampires. I really wish this could have waited for the next novel or just left out all together. I think why it bothered me so much is that we have Adam just shrugging off this new wrinkle and acting like it's no big deal. Yeah the same Adam who about lost it when he thought that Stephen was taking over Mercy's mind in "Bone Crossed." The addition of the fae scrambling around also made it hard to concentrate on the bigger plot which was taking down Christy's stalker.

The pacing was off a bit too. Instead of Mercy and Adam finding out more about Christy's stalker we get an info-dump via a character that really should not have known anything about this person. It would have made better sense if the friends she made around the Columbia River in "River Marked' would have provided this information. Or better yet anyone else. We also get a welcome surprise via Mercy's family and I wish we could have spent more time developing that new person then jumping back and forth among three plot points.

The members of the Pack that are still against Mercy is getting to absurd proportions. I could have sworn in "Frost Burned" that everyone in the Pack had finally accepted Mercy and there was no more of this she's just a coyote and doesn't belong nonsense. However, this novel re-sets all of that and we have Pack members who I could have sworn were all for Mercy (Daryl, Aurielle, and Mary Jo) now siding against Mercy for Christy. There were at least half a dozen times I wanted to slap the fictional character of Christy and it just made no sense to me that werewolves that are trained to spot a lie were letting themselves get manipulated by an ordinary human woman. The ending with Christy and Mercy made me really upset. I can only hope that we don't get a re-hash of this nonsense in the next novel.

Finally, I really loved that Patricia Briggs decided to tell "Frost Burned" from Mercy and Adam's point of views. I really wish she had kept that up for this novel since it would have been nice to see what Adam was thinking about things.

I still recommend and think long time fans will enjoy. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Things are going well for Mercy, her husband Adam, and Adam's pack until Adam gets a phone call from his ex-wife asking for help because she has a stalker. He can't turn her down and Mercy is going to help, too, despite the fact that she knows Christy for the vindictive, manipulative kind of person who won't be good for their new balance.

As soon as she arrives, Christy begins her insidious ways and tried to nudge Mercy out of her new place in the Pack while making it look like Mercy has it in for her. Besides, she isn't very forthcoming about the man she insists is stalking her.

When the stalker visits Mercy's garage, it becomes apparent that Christy has been leaving things out. It turns out that her stalker is a volcano god who has fixated on Christy. Some immortal whose ability to channel fire is not something any of them have dealt with before or know how to deal with now.

In addition, one of the Gray Lords is also on Mercy's case to return the walking stick that has been following her around for the last few books. Because it was developing a taste for blood, Mercy had gifted it to Coyote and now she can't find him.

Mercy does find a brother she never knew she had. Gary hates Coyote and blames him for all sorts of dangerous situations he has gotten him into. This situation is no different. Gary's visions are essential for Mercy to find a way to defeat the volcano god and protect those she loves.

This was engaging, fast-paced and entertaining. I like the sharp contrast between Mercy and Christy which shows that Adam has learned to make better choices about the women he loves. I like that Mercy has such a strong protective streak and won't let anyone she cares about suffer. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 17, 2020 |

kmartin802 | Jun 17, 2020 |
This is the first time I've finished a Mercy Thompson book and gone - "that was an OK episode" rather than "Wow! This series just keeps getting better". I've delayed writing a review, to see if I'd be able to put my finger on why "Night Broken" didn't excite me.

It's not one thing. There's nothing actually wrong with this book. Patricia Briggs writes with her usual wit and flair. There were a couple of really good fight-scenes, especially the one in Mercy's garage (who knew an engine could be used like that?). The plot promised a lot of fun: two new bad-guys, both powerful and scary are threatening Mercy and the Pack; Christie, Adam's ex-wife, is given shelter by the Pack and uses the opportunity to manipulate them and undermine Mercy; Mercy gets to find out more about her Coyote side, including meeting her much-put-upon "Brother".

So what wasn't to like? The pace felt a little uneven. The bad-guys were dealt with a little too easily (one turning out to be not so bad after all). Christie's presence caused some tension but was dealt with in such an enlightened way that it felt a little anticlimactic. Maybe I should be reading these things as Patricia Briggs bravely taking the path less travelled by but it didn't feel that way at the time.

"Night Broken" was an entertaining read. I just didn't enjoy it as much as "Frost Burned" or "River Marked".

I've been rationing myself to one Mercy Thompson book a month. A new month has just started, and I'm already looking forward to reading the ninth book, "Fire Touched".

As usual, Lorelie King's narration increased my enjoyment of the Mercy's adventure. ( )
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
well i was beginning to think this series was going to go down hill. BOY WAS I WRONG! This book was highly entertaining, with the wrench thrown into Mercy and Adams life, with his ex Christy coming back, because of a psycho stalker. Who turned out to be a powerful volcano god. But in this book, the packs starts to get closer to Mercy, secrets are relenquished from Stephan, and other interesting tid bits. I am now salivating for the next book, when is it coming out? ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |

Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muirden, AliDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

The phone rang while I was elbow-deep in sudsy dishwater.
But death isn’t a tragedy for God.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,917,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible