Night Broken (A Mercy Thompson Novel) by…

Night Broken (A Mercy Thompson Novel) (edition 2015)

by Patricia Briggs (Author)

" #1 New York Times bestselling author Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series has been hailed as "one of the best" (Fiction Vixen). Now, Mercy must deal with an unwanted guest-one that brings a threat unlike anything she's ever known. An unexpected phone call heralds a new challenge for Mercy. Her mate Adam's ex-wife is in trouble, on the run from a stalker. Adam isn't the kind of man to turn away a person in need-and Mercy knows it. But with Christy holed up in Adam's house, Mercy can't shake the feeling that something about the situation isn't right. Soon, her suspicions are confirmed when she learns that Christy has the farthest thing from good intentions. She wants Adam back and she's willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen, including turning Adam's pack against Mercy. Mercy isn't about to step down without a fight, but there's a more dangerous threat circling. Christy's stalker is more than a bad man-in fact, he may not be human at all. As the bodies start piling up, Mercy must put her personal troubles aside to face a creature with the power to tear her whole world apart. "--… (more)
Member:Fourbee4
Title:Night Broken (A Mercy Thompson Novel)
Authors:Patricia Briggs (Author)
Info:Ace (2015), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages

Night Broken by Patricia Briggs

Interesting thing about tight first person point of view: when the main character feels strongly about another character, it comes through really strongly. Take for example Christy, Adam's ex-wife. On one hand, I'm sure she's not quite as bad as she appears, given that all we see is from Mercy's point of view. On the other hand, she's really a fairly troubled person.

On the supernatural scale, we actually manage to step up another level from the River Devil and Coyote and friends. This time around we get an ancient big bad from the Canary Islands who's just as hard to kill as the River Devil but has even more firepower (heh) on their side. It's a fascinating bit of mythology I've never come across anywhere else and manages to fit well enough into the current world.

One downside of amping up the big bads like this, is it's uncertainly how much further than can go. Many urban fantasies have this problem. Well just have to see how Briggs handles it. Luckily, all of the current danger--despite being ancient and terrible--has been relatively constrained geographically. If I were a betting man (or reading the blurb for Fire) I would bet that we're going to get a much larger scope next time around.

One final note, the romance aspects of the books are getting more and more frequent as we move along. There's still little enough explicit, but it's been drifting more and more each book. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Audio April 2020: Loved it all over again. The ex-wife is a pain. Mercy handles it all in great strides. Her half-brother is interesting. I wish we got more of him popping up in the series.

Audio March 2018: I just love the audiobooks for the Mercy Thompson series. I'm getting so much out of them and it's always fun to revisit the world and characters.

~ 4.5 Night Broken Stars ~

I'm a big fan of [a:Patricia Briggs|40563|Patricia Briggs|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1464488194p2/40563.jpg] and own every one of the Mercy Thompson series on my eReader. Patricia Briggs knows how to develop characters, foreshadow events and bring to life a magical story full of myths and legends. I also love the covers on each and every book in this series. The artistic design is fantastic and amazing to look at.

Night broken is the eighth installment. I could not put it down. I devoured it from start to finish. Yes! I had some issues with things, but I also LOVED It! I was a little surprised and disappointed at the end of this book. I wanted something more at the end, but also I can’t wait to see what happens next. I can’t get enough of the characters in this series. Patricia knows how to keep her characters interesting and surprise us, all at the same time. We get to see several of our favorite characters and supernaturals like the fae, vampires, Coyote (whom I love), a few new faces and of course our Hampton Pack again.

Night Broken starts off with Adam’s ex-wife Christy coming back and that woman is a piece of work. I wanted Mercy to put Christy in her place and was frustrated that she didn’t, but at the same time it was interesting to see her take the high road as well as think about the pack and politics, but there had to be something as the alpha female that she could have done. I was also a little frustrated with Adam on the subject of his ex-wife. Yeah, he loved her once, but I wish he would have done something about her. It was sad to see and frustrating at the same time.

The Pack: I really enjoy the pack and how Patricia Briggs develops them, but they got me mad in this installment. Mercy has almost died how many times in this series? How much more does she have to do to prove herself to them. They need to accept her and I hope after this installment in the series that they do. The one person who sided with Mercy I did not see that one coming. It was a surprise!

We get a few new characters added as well as old ones making cameo appearances. I LOVE Coyote! Whenever he shows up things get fascinating and new things are revealed. I also enjoyed seeing the fae and vampires stop by. Stefan is a cool vampire. I’ve always liked him from the first time he was introduced. Gary Laughingdog makes an appearance. He is new to us and Mercy. What an interesting character. I do hope we get to see and learn more about him.

I will say the final battle scene with our volcano god was a minor disappointment not as action packed as I would have liked and how the battle ends with him (hmm).

This is a wonderful read in the Mercy Thompson series. Patricia has set us up for more exciting magical adventures with Mercy and the Hampton Pack. If you have not started this series it is a MUST READ! Even with the few issues I had I still could not put Night Broken down. I devoured it and enjoyed the adventure.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
Another exciting adventure. I love how this series keeps evolving and stays interesting and entertaining. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Apr 22, 2021 |
Shiny ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Every time I think that Mercy and Adam's adventures can't get any better or surprising another book comes to me.

This time we start out with Christy, Adam's manipulative ex-wife, asking to come stay with him because she has a stalker. Mercy is blind-sided by a Gray Lord, Beauclaire, who wants his father's artifact back, The Walking Stick...you know, the one she gifted to Coyote.

At first I was upset with Mercy for not standing her ground, and her place in the pack, with Christy. I mean the woman was pulling out all the stops to make the pack feel for her and put Mercy in the worst light possible. But to keep peace and knowing that she is Adam's true mate gave her some mettle to not let it get to her too much. Think only Adam could sense just how deep the jealously Mercy felt ran. And surprise, surprise....Honey turns out to be one of Mercy's staunchest supporters.

Now Beauclaire seems like an after thought. Does he have anything to do with the main drama. In having to get Walking Stick back she needs to find Coyote, this leads her to a prison where she meets Gary Laughingdog....her brother from another mother. He is not one of Coyote's fans and resent him interfering in his life. He'd rather hide out than deal with Coyote or the "gift" given to him....he has "Seeings".

As always in Mercy's world there is mischief, mayhem and romance....not all involving Mercy this time. Samuel and Ariana make an appearance too. And we find out more about young Mercy and some of the stunts she pulled.

Enjoyed the book but a bit saddened. Now I only have two more books to go before we get a new one and unless that is coming out in the next week or so I shall be suffering withdrawals very shortly.
  ChachaJ | Feb 1, 2021 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muirden, AliDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The phone rang while I was elbow-deep in sudsy dishwater.
But death isn’t a tragedy for God.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,269,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible