Batman and Robin Volume 3: Death of the…

Batman and Robin Volume 3: Death of the Family

by Peter J. Tomasi

"A direct tie to Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's "Death in the Family" Batman story comes the disturbingly creepy and psychological thriller of Batman and Robin by the all star team of Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason. The Joker returns to test Batman and the extended Bat-family but when he squares off against Batman's son Damian aka Robin! With Batman's life hanging in the balance, The Clown Prince of Crime pushes Robin to his limits and beyond. And with the 300th anniversary of the founding of Gotham approaches, tragedy strikes the Bat-family. Collects BATMAN AND ROBIN #15-17, BATMAN AND ROBIN ANNUAL #1 and BATMAN #17"--… (more)

I've already given my thoughts on the Death of the Family arc elsewhere. Short form: I loved it. I loved Damian in it and I loved how he and Bruce worked some stuff out.

BUT. Issue 18. Issue 18, man. No words. Just grief. Just horrible, palpable grief. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Only 4 stars, because the book is "Death of the Family", but the second half is not actually about that at all and the annual is a self-contained story. I'm not criticizing the story just that I was expecting more DotF stuff. ( )
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
Batman and Robin, Vol. 3: Death of the Family pits the Joker against all of Batman's family, from Nightwing and Red Robin to Batgirl and the Red Hood, with particular attention paid to Damian Wayne, the latest Robin. Peter Tomasi and Scott Snyder's writing coupled with art by Patrick Gleason and Greg Capullo work to tell a riveting story, with Gleason's work in particular showcasing a certain delight in the grotesque. Speaking of the grotesque, the New 52 version of the Joker feels more like a generic villain from the 1990s than Batman's archnemesis. Even worse, the title of this story references the class Death in the Family, in which the Joker brutally killed Jason Todd, though this new Death of the Family, while attempting to showcase the importance of Batman's various sidekicks, reads like an attempt to cash in on the clout of the older story. The best story in this volume is the self-contained "Batman: Impossible", in which Damian sends Bruce on a scavenger hunt to uncover pieces of the Wayne family history while Damian takes a turn at being the Batman. It's fun and does a lot to focus on Bruce and Damian's relationship. With that in exception, this volume will particularly appeal to fans of the New 52 version of Batman.
This edition collects material originally published in Batman and Robin #15-17, Batman and Robin Annual #1 and Batman #17. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Aug 12, 2016 |
Read all the separate issues for this book.

This story collection is actually what got me interested in the Batman and Robin series. We originally bought #15 cause it tied in with the Joker coming back in Batman but really couldn't stop. Honestly, my favorite part of this collection is the annual. It shows son trying to be just like his dad and was really heartwarming. ( )
  nike13 | Mar 10, 2016 |
Joker is just straight up disgusting in the Death of the Family issues, which I'd already read but glanced over again because of the horrifically beautiful artwork that captures your attention. I really love the first issue in here that leads Bruce along on a scavenger hunt chronicling his parents' time overseas, thanks to the uncharacteristically sweet Damian. Great issues serve as bookends to the Death of the Family story, so this volume is a must-read even if you have already gone through the entirety of Death of the Family.

Adam's Review: 4 stars
Not a whole lot to say about this title. The majority of it deals with the "Death of the Family" crossover, and I had read those issues as part of the Joker omnibus. Still, amazing issues nonetheless.
The first issue in this book was B&R Annual #1, which was a cross between Bruce exploring some tender moments his parents shared in the past AND Damien patrolling as a sort of Batman Jr. The humanistic qualities brought out of Bruce were something we've seen rarely (Pre-Requiem of course) but a welcome change to all the constant non-stop action. The "Batman Jr." Costume was also very cool.
The last issue dealt with dreams and felt more like something out of a Grant Morrison issue, but not as trippy or confusing.
Overall, worth a read for sure, if for no other reason than the true insanity that is The Joker ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 25, 2014 |

Tomasi, Peter J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gleason, PatrickIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, MickIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Originally published in single magazine form in BATMAN AND ROBIN #15-17, BATMAN AND ROBIN ANNUAL #1 and BATMAN #17

This paperback collects stories from the rebooted comic book series "Batman and Robin", a part of the The New 52. The paperback is the third volume to collect the stories from that series, following "Batman and Robin: Pearl". The stories in this paperback were published from February to April, 2013 in "Batman and Robin".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,782,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible