The Royal Ranger: A New Beginning…

The Royal Ranger: A New Beginning (Ranger's Apprentice Book 12) (original 2013; edition 2013)

by John Flanagan (Author)

Series: Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger (1), Ranger's Apprentice {John Flanagan} ((Royal Ranger 1 / Ranger's Apprentice 12) 12)

"Will Treaty is a shell of his former self, and his first apprentice may be the only one who can save him"--
Member:MadamMagic
Title:The Royal Ranger: A New Beginning (Ranger's Apprentice Book 12)
Authors:John Flanagan (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (2013), 460 pages

The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger) by John Flanagan (2013)

English (29)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (31)
Everyone is worried about Will Treaty, who is depressed and hell bent of wreaking vengeance on Jury, whose act of setting an inn on fire killed Will's wife, Alyss. Meanwhile, Horace and Cassandra (Evanlyn) are dealing with their teenage daughter, Maddie. Halt and Gilan decide make Maddie into the first girl apprentice. Will and Maddie are then sent off the investigate the sudden death of a Ranger, and discover a series of child kidnappings behind the death. Together, they take on the entire gang. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
A transitional story from the original apprentice series to the next generation (and series) of rangers. Halt has retired; Will has matured. He’s also taken on an apprentice. She is not just the first female trainee, she’s also his goddaughter and the only child of his two best childhood friends Queen Cassandra and The Oak Leaf Knight Horace.

I like that the story acknowledges physical differences in strength and finds ways for Maddie to still be a ranger without making her into Wonder Woman or some kind of super freak. This makes me look forward to this new series as the author tackles a heroine as the central character. ( )
  AMKitty | Jul 7, 2021 |
I never would have thought the Flanagan would bring this series to an end, choosing to instead let it just sort of hang out there. This book wraps up the series, in my opinion as it has been quite a few years since the previous book. It is great to see Will back in action, even as an adult.

Basic Storyline: Will is torn up by the unfortunate death of his wife, and is on a spree to kill the man./men responsible. To bring him out of this dark side, Halt and Galin propose to give him an apprentice to train. Turns out that Horace and Cassandra's daughter is of an age, and they are currently exasperated with her teenage rebelliousness. Long story short, she is assigned as an apprentice to Will, bringing about the acceptance of females into the Ranger's, as well as a new weapon they can use.

Though much of the story was somewhat predictable, and the writing set obviously for a more YA crowd, I thoroughly enjoyed returning to the tale of the Rangers again. ( )
  Ralphd00d | May 4, 2021 |
It is not easy to write a 12 book series and not drop the quality. Well done, well done. ( )
  chx | Mar 21, 2020 |
As wonderfully enjoyable as the rest of the series. I liked getting back to the smaller tasks of a Ranger's life instead of the epic international missions. However, I think the story is over now. If I want more of this world, I'll start rereading.

I was never bothered by the relative lack of female characters in these stories. In fact, one thing that I love about them is the complex male characters and the relationships between the men and boys. I found myself missing that a bit. I loved the attention to weapons and technique and that Flanagan corrected some of the shoddy techniques of earlier characters. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

Since this is the final book, it's appropriate that I dedicate it to my two longest-standing fans, who have become my good friends. Accordingly, this is for you, Maddie and Shea.
It had been a poor harvest in Scanlon Estate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,645,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible