Maddie on Things: A Super Serious Project About Dogs and Physics

by Theron Humphrey

Maddie is a sweet-tempered coonhound who accompanied her owner, Theron, on a yearlong, cross-country trip while he worked on a photojournalism project. In his spare time, Theron took photos of Maddie doing what she does best: standing on things. From bicycles to giant watermelons to horses to people, there really isn't anything that Maddie won't stand on with grace and patience. The poignant Instagram photos of this beautiful dog and her offbeat poses have captured the imagination of all those who long for a road trip with a good dog for company.Maddie on Things celebrates the strange talent of one special dog and will resonate with any dog lover who appreciates the quirky hearts (and extraordinary balance) of canines.… (more)

The cover illustration of this one definitely caught my eye — a gangly dog (a Maine Coonhound), awkwardly posed on the spare tire on a beat-up old vehicle. That was enough to make me glance inside, only to discover dozens more photos of Maddie, posted on top of other things, all over the country. Some are sweet shots, some are bizarre. The photos are interspersed with author Humphrey’s recollections of his cross-country tour with his photogenic dog, and the people and places they encountered in their travels. I’m not sure that this book felt like it had any serious point to make, but if you’re interested in quirky travelogues with some silly photos of an infinitely patient and lovable dog thrown in, this should be right up your alley!

Originally reviewed for my local library's website in September 2013: http://lincolnlibraries.org/bookguide/staff-recommendations/staff-recommendation... ( )
  cannellfan | Feb 27, 2016 |
I love both the amazing photos of this charming dog and the author/photographer's idea of changing your life and making it more creative and meaningful for you. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
An interesting book that has a beloved pet posed on top of different items in different areas. Its very different and unique. I don't think I have seen anything like this before. I love animals and this was a fun read. It would make a great coffee table book to have around for guests to look at. ( )
  Jennifer35k | Jul 14, 2014 |
Awesome for any dog lovers,photographers, or free spirits. What a wonderful way to spend a year! I'm betting that those who had the chance to meet Maddie and Theron won't soon forget them. The photography is interesting and high quality. This is one book I will reread many times! ( )
  c.archer | Jul 6, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,930,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible