Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

Burial Rites (edition 2014)

by Hannah Kent (Author)

Member:LoveOfMuffins4820
Title:Burial Rites
Authors:Hannah Kent (Author)
Info:Back Bay Books (2014), Edition: 1st, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, 2019

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (Mopsy)
    Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Polished Hoe portrays conditions in 20th-century Jamaica, while Burial Rites focuses on 19th-century Iceland, but these exquisitely detailed literary historical novels explore the lives of unusually intelligent women whose treatment by their masters has resulted in terrible crimes.… (more)
    Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although Slammerkin is more suspenseful and richly detailed than the spare, reflective Burial Rites, both character-driven historical novels draw upon true stories of young women accused of murder. Emphasis on the protagonists' impoverished backgrounds allows for exploration of social issues.… (more)
    The Convictions of John Delahunt by Andrew Hughes (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: 19th Century murderess in a cold, bleak location.
    The Good People by Hannah Kent (Anonymous user)
    Falling Creatures by Katherine Stansfield (Becchanalia)
    Independent People by Halldor Laxness (GerrysBookshelf)
    The Blue Fox by Sjón (tandah)
    Justice Undone by Thor Vilhjalmsson (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Another novel about murder in 19th-century Iceland that's based on a real case.
    Achtendertig nachten by Janne IJmker (Blogletter)
    The Madness of a Seduced Woman by Susan Fromberg Schaeffer (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Another woman named Agnes, murder and the vulnerabilities created by love.
    The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman (KimarieBee)

English (214)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (219)
Months after I finished this, even the mere mention of the title brings back the powerful emotions that gathered while I was reading it. The gorgeous prose made the heavy subject matter much easier to read - from the characters' reactions to Agnes down to the finer details of early Icelandic farm life and so much more - Ms. Kent brings the reader so deeply into the story it is possible to feel the confusion, the disgust, the fear and the grief along with the characters.

This story is also a fine testament to the life-changing year Ms. Kent spent in Iceland on the student exchange program. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more of her work, and adding this one to my own bookshelf! ( )
  JayeJ | May 21, 2019 |
An excellent book. A first novel based on an historical event. ( )
  gayjeg | Apr 25, 2019 |
In many ways, Burial Rites reminds me of Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace. Aside from the obvious parallels--historical fiction based on maids accused of murdering their employers; similar narrative frameworks in which wealthy, educated men (a doctor in Alias Grace and a reverend in Burial Rites) try to uncover the mysteries of what happened--both novels emphasize the role of women in society during the 1830s-40s. It's perhaps no surprise that women, especially those of the lower-class, were very much powerless and subject to the whims of men. While I enjoyed both stories, I felt like Alias Grace had a far more fascinating protagonist and compelling narrative. Perhaps it is a disservice to Hannah Kent to compare her to a seasoned author like Atwood, but I found Burial Rites to be a surprisingly good debut novel and I think Kent is an author to watch. ( )
  hianbai | Apr 22, 2019 |
Margaret Atwood did this story much better with Alias Grace. ( )
  doryfish | Mar 6, 2019 |
This book was a captivating read. It's a story about Agnes Magnusdottir, the last person to be executed in Iceland, in 1830, for her part in the deaths of two men. While steeped in the historical record and oral history as well as Icelandic sagas and legends, it's a fictionalised account of Agnes's life—of a poor working woman who never had the chance to try to reach her full potential. I really liked how Margret, initially hostile, over time came to understand her and relate to her. ( )
  mari_reads | Mar 5, 2019 |
Hannah Kent received a seven figure advance comprised of offers from three publishers for Burial Rites as part of a two-book deal. This is her first novel, written towards completing a PhD at Flinders University. She is 28 years old.

One of the best “Scandinavian” crime novels I have read, Burial Rites is the work of an Australian who visited Iceland on a cultural exchange.

The novel isn't seamless—Ms. Kent disrupts its rhythms by awkwardly switching between an omniscient narrator and Agnes's first-person point of view. But it convincingly animates Agnes, who feels "knifed to the hilt with fate," showing her headstrong humanity and heart-wrenching thirst for life. At one point she recalls seeing two icebergs grinding together off the northern shore, the friction from their exposed boulders causing gathered driftwood to go up in flames. At her best, Ms. Kent achieves a similar eerie force in this story of passion in a frozen place.

There are other stylistic problems. Some dialogue that’s meant to seem elevated and of its time simply sounds unidiomatic: “I was worried of as much”; “The only recourse to her absolution would be through prayer.” There’s prefab phrasing — “my heart throbbed,” “she said breathlessly,” “overcome with relief” — and descriptive clichés, including a sky that’s “bright, bright blue, so bright you could weep.”
added by hf22 | editNew York Times, Steven Heighton (Sep 27, 2013)

A remarkable story of the last case of capital punishment recorded in Iceland, Burial Rites is the extraordinary debut novel by Australian author Hannah Kent.

Hannah Kentprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lubikowski, MartinCartographer.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was worst to the one I loved best.

Laxdæla Saga
For my parents
They said I must die.
His hair is as red as before, as red as the midnight sun. It looks as though his locks have soaked up the light as a skein of wool suffers the dye.
"Do you know the right name for a flock of ravens?"
Tóti shook his head.
"A conspiracy, Reverend. A conspiracy."
A tight fear, like a fishing line, hooked upon something that must, inevitably, be dragged from the depths.
Yes, I am quite alone, and a tremble of exhilaration passes along my skin, like the tremor on the surface of a pot of water about to boil.
At Hvammur, during the trial, they plucked at my words like birds. Dreadful birds, dressing in red with breasts of silver buttons, and cocked heads and sharp mouths, looking for guilt like berries on a bush.

Listen to Agnes
Tell her version of events;
But is it the truth?
(passion4reading)

A brilliant literary debut, inspired by a true story: the final days of a young woman accused of murder in Iceland in 1829.

Riveting and rich with lyricism, BURIAL RITES evokes a dramatic existence in a distant time and place, and asks the question, how can one woman hope to endure when her life depends upon the stories told by others?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:05 -0400)

Set against Iceland's stark landscape, Hannah Kent brings to vivid life the story of Agnes, who, charged with the brutal murder of her former master, is sent to an isolated farm to await execution. Horrified at the prospect of housing a convicted murderer, the family at first avoids Agnes. Only Tóti, a priest Agnes has mysteriously chosen to be her spiritual guardian, seeks to understand her. But as Agnes's death looms, the farmer's wife and their daughters learn there is another side to the sensational story they've heard. . . . BURIAL RITES evokes a dramatic existence in a distant time and place --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,906,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible