Journey (Aaron Becker's Wordless Trilogy) by…

Journey (Aaron Becker's Wordless Trilogy) (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Aaron Becker (Author), Aaron Becker (Illustrator)

Using a red marker, a young girl draws a door on her bedroom wall and through it enters another world where she experiences many adventures, including being captured by an evil emperor.
Member:deldevries
Title:Journey (Aaron Becker's Wordless Trilogy)
Authors:Aaron Becker (Author)
Other authors:Aaron Becker (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2013), Edition: 1, 40 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:2021, recommended, picture book, children's literature, Caldecott Honor, creativity

Journey by Aaron Becker (2013)

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson (VaterOlsen)
    VaterOlsen: Drawing and imagination lead to great adventures!
    A River by Marc Martin (PlumPie)
    Flotsam by David Wiesner (michellebarton)
    michellebarton: Both are wordless picture books with stunning artwork and interesting imaginative stories to tell!

GORGEOUS. Wordless story, all picture. Something like [b:The Girl Who Ran Away|2006452|The Girl Who Ran Away|Joan G. Robinson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1427841095s/2006452.jpg|2010383] meets Ico. Nephew isn't old enough for this one either, but I may have to buy it for ME. And now I see it's a trilogy. I will be looking into [b:Quest|20708773|Quest (Journey Trilogy #2)|Aaron Becker|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1400890167s/20708773.jpg|34983901] ASAP. ( )
  amyotheramy | May 11, 2021 |
The book "Journey" would be such a fun read for one of my future classes. This book takes students on a journey where there are no words only pictures. This young girl with a red marker draws on her bedroom wall which opens to a magical world. I think this would be so fun to read to my students and let them come up with the words that would be written in the book. It would give me a chance to see how creative they can get. ( )
  ARobertson | Apr 24, 2021 |
This book allows children's imagination to just flow. I love the different pictures and colors. ( )
  Adelmi | Mar 9, 2021 |
A lovely book in the spirit of "Harold and the Purple Crayon." ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
I was hesitant to read a book that only had illustrations. There were no words, BUT so much was said. With everyone in her life being distracted by electronics( the computer, phone, video games), the young girl finds herself alone in her room. When she picks up a crayon to draw and suddenly her boring lifeless room is transformed into a complete journey. Her creativity gets flowing; she no longer is stuck in the room, but she travels to the places she imagines. This art expression transforms her mindset completely. Whereas before she sat on her bed looking lonely and forgotten, now she immerses herself in a beautiful wooded forest, floating down the river in a boat, entering a new city with a castle, and even floating in the sky. Her world was only as contained as her creativity! If you like "Book" by George Ella Lyons you will like this captivating and imaginative journey.

The scenes showing her family absorbed in their electronics could have been left out of the story. It would have still been a story about creating your own adventure and showing the power of expression through art. BUT these strong beginning scenes immediately grab the readers' attention with the "oh yeah, I do that" feeling. We need wake up calls like this to remind us to be intentional with our time and with our loved ones. ( )
  cblanco | Apr 22, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,017,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible