Differentiating Instruction With Menus: Math…

Differentiating Instruction With Menus: Math (Grades 3-5)

by Laurie Westphal

Differentiating Instruction With Menus offers teachers everything they need to create a student-centered learning environment based on choice. Addressing the four main subject areas (language arts, math, science, and social studies) and the major concepts taught within these areas, these books provide a number of different types of menus that elementary-aged students can use to select exciting products that they will develop so teachers can assess what has been learned--instead of using a traditional worksheet format. Each book contains attractive reproducible menus, each based on the levels of Bloom's revised taxonomy, for students to use to guide them in making decisions as to which products they will develop after studying a major concept or unit. Using creative and challenging choices found in Tic-Tac-Toe Menus, List Menus, 2-5-8 Menus, Baseball Menus, and Game Show Menus, students will look forward to sharing their newfound knowledge throughout the year. Also included are specific guidelines for products, rubrics for assessing student products, and teacher introduction pages for each menu. This book includes menus that teach students about whole numbers and operations, fractions, probability and statistics, geometry, measurement, and problem-solving.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book simplifies the differentiation of mathematics through student choice using menus (provided) of relevant projects. It includes an array of menu types covering a variety of topics aligned to common core state standards. Assessment guidance using rubrics is also included. All of it is clearly explained and ready for classroom use.

Amazing, timely resource! ( )
  Mrs.DuBois | Jun 26, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
SUMMARY: "This book includes an updated, student-friendly rubric that can assess different types of products, free choice proposal forms to encourage independent study, and new and favorite challenging menus to meet the needs of these diverse higher level learners. Readers will also be able to save time by using updated guidelines the reflect changes in technology for each of the products included in the menus and find direct alignment with standards approved in recent years. Topics addressed in Differentiating Instruction With Menus: Math (Grades 3–5, 2nd ed.) include whole numbers and operations, fractions, probability and statistics, geometry, measurement, and problem solving."

NOTE: This is an ADVANCED-LEVEL MENUS Book for grades 3-5. It is not for those who are behind in the classroom.

THE GOOD: This book provides 100 pages of math menus already created for you. This is a great resource for extension activities in the classroom as well as for use with gifted students.
THE NOT AS GOOD: If you are not familiar with how to use menus in the classroom, you will have a difficult time using the activities in this book. Although this book has a section called "How to Use Menus in the Classroom," it does not really explain the concept of what menus are and a step by step way to use them. It is more in the form of guidelines.

NOTE: I received a free ARC copy of this book from LibraryThing and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My reviews are always 100% honest based on preset criteria. ( )
  mmcbeth29 | Jun 12, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great book that teachers can use to enhance their teaching and meet the various needs in their classroom. I have always been a fan of menus. Teachers can use menus to tailor the activities to meet the needs of their students while students feel invested in their work and learning because they are given choice- it's a win-win! I am a middle school special education teacher teaching in a special class program. Although this book is meant for grades 3-5, I have tweaked some of these lessons for my 8th grade classroom/8th grade content. I am thankful that this book was written for math classroom. There are many great ideas, activities, and resources included in this book. I will be returning to this book when I plan lessons in the future. Thank you! ( )
  KWROLSEN | May 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a book that I highly recommend for anyone teaching 3-5 math (and even beyond 5th grade). The book is full of great ideas to help students understand the concepts involved. However, I would also have to give a word of caution to anyone who has not used menus before because there will be some extra time required to become comfortable with menus. But I would also add that I think it would be time well spent. ( )
1 vote ambrithill | May 2, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this book! I loved the way the book is divided into the different math topics with the menus ready to go! I love that the rubrics are already available! I love the different choices on the menu, it is definitely higher order thinking! The author makes it to easy to not use menus in the classroom! ( )
  NSestak1 | Apr 21, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Laurie Westphal's book Differentiating Instruction With Menus: Literature (Grades 3-5) is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laurie Westphal's book Differentiating Instruction With Menus: Math (Grades 3-5) (2nd ed.) was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Laurie Westphal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Prufrock Press

An edition of this book was published by Prufrock Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible