dismiss

Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer

by Katie Alender

While in Paris, France on a class trip, Colette Iselin enlists the help of her charming French tour guide to help uncover a possible connection between Marie Antoinette, a series of gruesome murders, and perhaps her own family history, and he also gives her insights into herself.

First published at Booking in Heels.

It may help, for review purposes, to point out that I don’t generally enjoy YA contemporary fiction.I’m just too far removed from being a teenager now (at the ripe old age of 30) to want to listen to a teenage ‘voice’ rant about how unfair their life is. I just can’t. That should add weight to my opinion when I say that Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer is actually really, really good.

I think my favourite thing about this book is the detail that was given to the history of Paris and Marie Antoinette. I pulled out my phone a few times to look at photos of various statues and sites – like the praying statues of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI in the Saint-Denis Basilica. The book discusses the symbolism around their postures and why they are kneeling instead of laying, like with most tombs. It’s obviously not meant to be an educational book, but I’d be surprised if most readers didn’t learn something and also feel encouraged to go and do some research of their own.

Colette herself is somewhat annoying to begin with, but then she’s sort of supposed to be. One of the subplots of Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer is the character development of Colette, as she learns that she is allowed to be herself and not change who she is to suit her rich friends’ demands. It’s actually done pretty well. Relatively subtly. A bit twee, but not overstated or unnecessarily dramatic.

Also, the romance. I tend not to be a big fan of romance, especially in YA novels, but it was nice here. It definitely wasn’t the major point of the book, which I appreciated, but it added a bit of charm. I think Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer would be poorer if it wasn’t included… and that’s not something I say often. And it ends on a realistic, age-appropriate (and not overly sappy) note.

The dialogue isn’t stilted and the prose isn’t cliched. It was actually a really pleasant read that never felt clunky or disjointed. I can be quite critical when it comes to these things (and all my friends gasp in sarcastic amazement) but I was impressed with the writing with this novel.

If I had one criticism, it would be the ending. It wasn’t a terrible ending, by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn’t as satisfying as it could have been either. It seemed a bit… easy. I liked the drama of it and the atmosphere; that was great. But the solution itself? Eh. So much effort went into the huge majority of the book that I feel that part could have been fleshed out a tad more. I have to say though, it didn’t affect my enjoyment in the slightest.
Final thoughts for Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer:

Is this a masterpiece of fiction? No. Did I absolutely love it and finish reading with a satisfied smile on my face? Yes.

I liked it so much that I’m actually going to go out and buy a copy, just so I can have it on my shelves. It was the perfect book at the perfect time for me. Unique, quirky fiction with a fun, historical twist ( )
  generalkala | Jan 27, 2020 |
DNF @25%
arghhh..this was not interesting at all... The narrators were pretty decent though! ( )
  asthepageturns | Jun 13, 2019 |
The plot moves along at a fairly quick pace. A little hokey sometimes. Marie Antoinette's ghost is on a murder rampage seeking revenge on the descendants of the inner circle who betrayed her. One of those descendants is an American visiting Paris on a school trip. Entwined with the ghost story you have the cliched "do I risk my friendship with the spoiled, popular, backstabbing brat to hang out with the nice, nonjudgemental, unpopular girl." You also get snippets of the "teen falling for the unlikely guy" scenario. All in all a decent read that will have wide appeal with the teen crowd. ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |
An interesting Young Adult story. I found the main female character, for the most part, very annoying and hard to like. However, I am not the target audience for this book. The story line had enough twists and turns to keep me entertained, even if I didn't like most of the characters. It was a light entertainment whilst travelling to/from work. ( )
  FiLoMa | Oct 28, 2016 |
This was just an okay read. ( )
  AmberKirbey | Mar 11, 2016 |

Alender, KatieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oberon, EleaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In her apartment high above the streets of Paris, Gabrielle Roux stood in front of the bathroom mirror, still wearing her daringly short purple dress and sky-high platform heels.

Katie Alender is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,963,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible