The possibility dogs : what a handful of…

The possibility dogs : what a handful of "unadoptables" taught me about… (edition 2014)

by Susannah Charleson

Member:mirrani
Title:The possibility dogs : what a handful of "unadoptables" taught me about service, hope, and healing
Authors:Susannah Charleson
Info:Boston, [Massachusetts] : Mariner Books, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:non-fiction, memoir, dogs, animals, rescue animals, F

The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing by Susannah Charleson

(bab) (2) 1306 (1) 2013 (1) ab (1) adult (2) animals (5) audio (2) audiobook (2) biography (1) CD (1) dog rescue (1) dogs (10) F (1) library (1) memoir (6) NF (1) non-fiction (10) OCD (1) pets (2) pile (1) read (1) rescue dogs (2) science (1) search and rescue (1) search dogs (1) service dog (1) service dogs (1) therapy dogs (1) to-read (5) training (1)

I listened to the audio version of this book and thoroughly enjoyed it.

This book goes beyond the typical "this dog rescued me" kind of storytelling and focuses also on how people can rescue the dogs. The author tells many stories of people who have had their lives changed by therapy dogs or dogs trained to help with psychiatric issues, but she tells her own story along with these others. It sounds jumbled, but it really is a pleasant read that not only makes you happy inside, but also shows the importance of therapy dogs and giving all animals a second chance. ( )
  mirrani | Jan 11, 2017 |
Beautifully written; beautifully read by the author. ( )
  olevia | Dec 18, 2016 |
I didn't know about the different types of dogs trained for service before I read this book. Susannah Charleson writes about service dogs, therapy dogs, guide dogs, and the types of dog personalities that are happiest in each particular line of work. I loved the details of the training of her rescue dog, Jake, as he learned the ropes of partnering with a human with PTSD. Best of all, the book details her work identifying dogs in shelter and then training them to provide the skills necessary to partner with a human in desperate need of such a dog. Win Win. The book was well written and hard for me to put down. I learned quite a lot. ( )
  EllsieFind | Oct 6, 2016 |
Wow, I wrote a whole review and it disappeared. I'm not writing it again, darnit. I'm just gonna short it to
1. be careful reading this book if you can't handle depictions of dog abuse and
2. once it got past those depictions it was a good book. ( )
  marshapetry | Jan 20, 2015 |
Definitely a three hanky read. I listened to the Overdrive version, read by the author, and she does a fantastic job. You can feel the emotion in her voice, and her imitations of her dogs' vocalizations is hysterical. I learned about psychiatric service dogs, which was entirely new to me, and was touched and entertained by the stories of many animals and their partners, as well as her own animals and her own journey. Highly recommend. ( )
  PortM | Nov 30, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054773493X, Hardcover)

An inspiring story that shows how dogs can be rescued, and can rescue in return.

With her critically acclaimed, bestselling first book, Scent of the Missing, Susannah Charleson was widely praised for her unique insight into the kinship between humans and dogs, as revealed through her work in canine search and rescue alongside her partner, golden retriever Puzzle.

Now, in The Possibility Dogs, Charleson journeys into the world of psychiatric service, where dogs aid humans with disabilities that may be unseen but are no less felt. This work had a profound effect on Charleson, perhaps because, for her, this journey began as a personal one: Charleson herself struggled with posttraumatic stress disorder for months after a particularly grisly search. Collaboration with her search dog partner made the surprising difference to her own healing. Inspired by that experience, Charleson learns to identify abandoned dogs with service potential, often plucking them from shelters at the last minute, and to train them for work beside hurting partners, to whom these second-chance dogs bring intelligence, comfort, and hope.
Along the way she comes to see canine potential everywhere, often where she least expects it – from Merlin the chocolate lab puppy with the broken tail once cast away in a garbage bag, who now stabilizes his partner’s panic attacks; to Ollie, the blind and deaf terrier, rescued moments before it was too late, who now soothes anxious children; to Jake Piper, the starving pit bull terrier mix with the wayward ears who is transformed into a working service dog and, who, for Charleson, goes from abandoned to irreplaceable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

A tour of the psychiatric service dog industry traces the author's work with unwanted shelter dogs before matching them with people in need, documenting her own partnership with a search canine while sharing uplifting success stories.

34 wanted1 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,213,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible