After the Ending

by Lindsey Fairleigh, Lindsey Pogue

Series: The Ending (1)

The first book in the emotionally charged post-apocalyptic series, The Ending. They may have survived the apocalypse, but the Virus changed them... Grad student Dani O'Connor won't let a cross-country move end her closest friendship. But when a mysterious virus consumes the world and Dani,herself, falls violently ill, she fears she'll never see her loved ones again.After her fever finally breaks, she barely recognizes the devastated world around her. Everyone is dead. Dani is all alone. Or so she thinks... As a bartender, Zoe is used to dealing with hotheads and dirtbags, but nothing could have prepared her for the twisted thoughts of her fellow survivors.Her family is gone, and anyone left alive in the world is either sick, crazy, or changed...like her. As her newfound super senses gain strength, Zoe must learn to control them before she loses herself to madness completely. Perilous terrain spans the distance between them, and deranged survivors lurk in dark corners everywhere. Can Dani and Zoe overcome deadly attacks and unseen dangers in order to find each other? Or will they lose their way--and their lives--along the journey? After The Ending is the first book in the evocative, superpowered post-apocalyptic adventure, The Ending Series. If you like unbreakable friendships, gritty dystopian settings, and a touch of romance, then you'll love Lindsey Pogue and Lindsey Fairleigh's heart-wrenching tale. Buy After The Ending to embark on a supernatural survival story today!THE ENDING SERIESAfter The EndingInto The FireOut Of The AshesBefore The DawnThe Ending Beginnings: A Collection of StoriesWorld Before: A Collection of Stories… (more)

Well, The Stand this ain't.

There are numerous plot holes that are not properly dealt with, eg the phones are down (no one knows how or why) but not only is it possible to send and receive emails (so some firm of Internet) at every site they're at, but enough electricity to keep the computers charged and running. People crop up in scenes but are soon discarded when no longer necessary to the plot with little fanfair.

Dani and Zoe are on different sides of America and after the virus has devastated much of he population, the two of them are making heir way to a mutual meeting point. However you soon forget where and why (if you ever knew the latter).

There seems to be a lot of "hurry up and wait" with people getting to the next stop and staying there for several days. For dani's group the premise is to allow others to search for family and friends but apart from cce we don't know how the searches are undertaken or the results. For Zoe and dani's lovers friends and roommates all die and apart from the occasional nightmare about dani's boyfriend noone is given a second thought. In writing this review I've noticed one website (goodreads) mentioning this was the first in a post-apocalypse Romance Series. That does change my review - slightly - but not by much - as this does explain all the extraordinary amount of time is spent lusting after the attractive men in the group and both women become the focus of jealously and suspicion from other women in their mutual groups. The sex scenes - after a remarkable number of times they get interrupted mid grope - are reasonably sexy.

The set ups of the two groups were too similar to keep track off - both had lead males starting with J (Jack, Jason), both sets with dogs, psycho girls who couldnt be trusted or were downright dangerous. Switching the narrative between the two - with is logical with the two writers just became too confusing to keep track off in the end.

So in summary: reasonably sexy romance story, with too many holes in the story line (I like to hold my Romance novels to the same level of critique as every other book I read!) and too many similarities between the two narratives to keep me truly happy ( )
  nordie | Oct 14, 2023 |
When I started this, all I could think is "Does Stephen King know they stole his Stand idea?" but as I continued, I totally got sucked in. I read this whole book in one day. It was great. Sure there were some plot holes and inconsistancies but hey, I was entertained and that is the whole reason I read. I know there are others books in this series out there and I'm actually thinking I will hunt them down which is something I almost never do.
  amoderndaybelle | May 27, 2021 |
This is a good book, well written and with believable characters. I will only warn you that the end is a cliff hanger, which annoyed me. But I am about to read the next one.

The book is written about two friends who are in different parts of the country as a plague hits the US, and their stories dovetail. ( )
  mirihawk | May 21, 2020 |
A terrible pandemic wipes out almost everyone in the U.S. The few that are left are either insane or have some psychic type power. Our heroine and her friend are separated by quite a distance, but for a while stay in touch with cell phones and email. They each join up with people who band together for safety and try to reach someplace that is supposed to be safe. All the while personal dynamics and insanity tears at the groups. Pretty good, but cliff hanger ending.
  JohnLavik | Mar 29, 2020 |
Got this book free on Amazon. Such gems can be found on Amazon. Such as this one. This is a book where a virus literally kills off majority of the human population. Think ‘The Walking dead’ without zombies. What would be zombies in this book are called crazies, the reason they’re called crazies is because survivors of the virus have changed. Every single person. Some go crazy in some sort of way, and others have some kind of special ability.

So this book is in the point of view between two people Dani and her best friend Zoe. When the virus strikes they are across the country from each other. Zoe’s brother Jason tells Zoe to head for Colorado Springs, and he’ll get Dani and do the same.

So going through the book, you’ll see what is happening to each girl and the people they are with or have met.

The minute I picked up this book, I didn’t want to put it down. But it’s a big book, and well worth the length. Because there is so much information in it, but not too much where it’s fillers or dead space. It’s literally something pertinent to the story the whole way through.

My final thought on this book besides the fact that it’s super amazing is.... do not make this book into a movie or a tv series. As any loss of any information from this book would be tragic. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |

Fairleigh, Lindseyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pogue, Lindseymain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

The Virus spread. Billions died. The Ending began. We may have survived the apocalypse, but the Virus changed us.

When people started getting sick, “they” thought it was just the flu. My roommate, my boyfriend, my family…they’re all gone now. I got sick too. I should have died with them—with the rest of the world—but I didn’t. I thought witnessing the human population almost disappear off the face of the earth was the craziest thing I’d ever experience. I was so wrong. My name is Dani O’Connor, I’m twenty-six-years-old, and I survived The Ending.

The Virus changed everything. The world I knew is gone, and life is backwards. We’ve all had to start over. I’ve been stripped of my home, my dreams…all that is me. I’m someone else now—broken and changed. Other survivors’ memories and emotions haunt me. They invade my mind until I can no longer separate them from my own. I won’t let them consume me. I can’t. My name is Zoe Cartwright, I’m twenty-six-years-old, and I survived The Ending.

We’ve been inseparable for most of our lives, and now our friendship is all we have left. The aftermath of the Virus has stranded us on opposite sides of the United States. Trusting strangers, making sacrifices, killing—we’ll do anything to reach one another. Fear and pain may be unavoidable, but we’re strong…we’re survivors. But to continue surviving in this unfamiliar world plagued by Crazies and strange new abilities, we have to adapt. We have to evolve.
And more than anything, we have to find each other.

Lindsey Fairleigh is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,304,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible