Cloche and Dagger by Jenn McKinlay

Cloche and Dagger

by Jenn McKinlay

English (21)  Piratical (1)  All languages (22)
Bridget Blogs Books for my thoughts ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
This book is about a 20 year old girl whose name is Scarlet. In the book she goes to live with her cousin Vivian, who is a hatmaker in London. When she gets there Vivian's friend Harrison picks her up and explains to her that Vivian has gone missing. However they both don't think much about it because Vivian often disappears for a few weeks and then reappears with some new feathers or ribbon for a hat. Later that week Scarlet goes with her friend Andre to take photographs of a countess (Lady Elise) and they find her dead wearing only the hat she had picked up from the shop earlier in the week. Police arrive and the main suspects for the crime if Vivian, because she has been missing and has held a grudge against Lady Elise. Later in the book Scarlet is nearly killed by whoever killed Lady Elise. About 2 days later Vivian arrives and is put under arrest and then freed when Scarlet figures out it was Lady Chievers, who is one of Lady Elise's friends, she goes to jail and all is well.

I thought this book was very good, it had lots of suspense and I ended up reading it in one day just to figure out who killed Lady Elise. It nice to read a book that took place in a real place that I had been to, however Mim's Whim's, the hat shop where this all takes place, does not exist outside of your imagination. I loved the characters in the book, they are all very relatable. ( )
  SamanthaC.B4 | Mar 15, 2019 |
Three stars. I read this on a little vacation and it was a quick read. It's very light on the mystery (to be clear, if you blink, you'll miss it & the wrap up is lightening fast too) but I enjoyed the setting and the characters were more enjoyable than irritating, so it's all good. I've enjoyed reading McKinlay's Book Lover's series and decided to give this one a try. I'll likely continue reading more in the series. Definitely recommended for fans of the author and anyone looking for a cozy mystery to while away a weekend. ( )
  anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |
This is an excellent new series that takes place in London. We meet Scarlett, a woman who becomes an overnight Internet sensation when she very publicly runs into her boyfriend celebrating his anniversary with his (surprise!) wife. Fleeing to London to join her cousin and claiming her half in a hat shop store she inherited, Scarlett finds even more surprises. Not only is her cousin missing, but days later Scarlett finds a prominent customer dead, wearing only the hat her cousin made her. This was a wonderfully, cozy mystery set in, in my (very) biased opinion, the greatest city in the world.

Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I enjoy this series. This was the 2nd I've read in the series, however the 1st of the series. Will read more. 3.5 stars ( )
  anglophile65 | May 23, 2017 |
'Scarlett Elizabeth Parker, put down the MoonPie and listen to me,' Vivian Tremont ordered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425258890, Mass Market Paperback)

An all-new series from New York Times bestselling author Jenn McKinlay

Not only is Scarlett Parker’s love life in the loo—as her British cousin Vivian Tremont would say—it’s also gone viral with an embarrassing video. So when Viv suggests Scarlett leave Florida to lay low in London, she hops on the next plane across the pond. Viv is the proprietor of Mims’s Whims, a ladies’ hat shop on Portobello Road bequeathed to both cousins by their beloved grandmother, and she wants Scarlett to finally join her in the millinery business.

But a few surprises await Scarlett in London. First, she is met at the airport not by Viv, but by her handsome business manager, Harrison Wentworth. Second, Viv—who has some whims of her own—seems to be missing. No one is too concerned about the unpredictable Viv until one of her posh clients is found dead wearing the cloche hat Viv made for her—and nothing else. Is Scarlett’s cousin in trouble? Or is she in hiding?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:13 -0400)

"Not only is Scarlett Parker's love life in the loo--as her British cousin Vivian Tremont would say--it's also gone viral with an embarrassing video. So when Viv suggests Scarlett leave Florida to lay low in London, she hops on the next plane across the pond. Viv is the proprietor of Mims's Whims, a ladies' hat shop on Portobello Road bequeathed to both cousins by their beloved grandmother, and she wants Scarlett to finally join her in the millinery business. But a few surprises await Scarlett in London. First, she is met at the airport not by Viv, but by her handsome business manager, Harrison Wentworth. Second, Viv--who has some whims of her own--seems to be missing. No one is too concerned about the unpredictable Viv until one of her posh clients is found dead wearing the cloche hat Viv made for her--and nothing else. Is Scarlett's cousin in trouble? Or is she in hiding?"-- Page [4] of cover.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,490,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible