Help for the Haunted by John Searles

Help for the Haunted (edition 2013)

by John Searles

Member:CatieN
Title:Help for the Haunted
Authors:John Searles
Info:William Morrow (2013), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:To read

Help for the Haunted by John Searles

English (56)  Spanish (1)  All languages (57)
What is Ed and Lorraine Warren had kids? I feel like this is the main idea in this story. Did not go where I thought it was going to. Also, I hated the older sister. UGH. I did like it, but not as much as I wanted to. ( )
  bookwormteri | Jan 21, 2019 |
Sylvie Mason has always been the good daughter compared to her sister, Rose. Sylive and Rose's parents have given the girls an interesting life- to say the least. Their parents made a living by helping people who are haunted, they often took objects or even people into their home. Sylvie and Rose's life changes drastically after Penny, a doll and Abigail, a troubled girl come into their lives. After their parents take these cases, their parents are killed. Rose is left as Sylvie's guardian and 14 year-old Sylvie is the only witness to her parent's deaths. As Sylvie tries to recollect what happened that night, she recounts her strange life in order to figure out who or what actually killed her parents.

Help For The Haunted is a creepy murder-mystery that seems to be inspired by the life of the Warrens. The narration skips back and forth between time from Sylvie's childhood and the events leading up to her parents deaths and after Sylvie's parents have died, the result of this is slightly disorienting, but brings us into Sylvie's mindset. As the story unfolds, the battle of the natural versus the supernatural begin to unfold as Sylvie tries to determine what really caused all of the strange events in their lives and who really killed her parents. I was very intrigued by Penny and Abigail and why they were believed to be haunted as well as their real sources of power of people. Rose's character was an enigma, as well as an important part of the story; it seemed that no one understood her, including her parents that were supposed to be able to help children who were struggling. The ending wrapped up rather quickly as Sylvie exposed the truth of her family .Overall, a suspenseful crime thriller with plenty of supernatural elements that will keep you guessing. ( )
  Mishker | Oct 31, 2018 |
Young girl, Sylvie, tries to solve the murder of her parents. Proof that "eyewitnesses" are inherently unreliable. A "dark portrait of a troubled family beset by the supernatural." Mother, Rose, is a kind, calming force. Daughter, Rose, is anything but. Father, Sylvester, is living a lie. ( )
  sraelling | May 6, 2018 |
This book was just okay. My biggest complaint was that the first half moved very slowly, which why it took me so long to read it. I moved through the second half much more quickly. I felt really bad for Sylvie most of the time. I was a little disappointed that there weren't more "haunting" moments, and I wasn't a fan of the ending at all. But this book did get me to stay up to 1:15 am to finish, which is rare for me. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
I was expecting this to be a little more scary. It was good, I liked the characters and didn't see the ending coming, but it left something a little lacking. ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |

John Searlesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Searles, JohnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Maia, Cristian, and Shannon,
with love
Whenever the phone rang late at night, I lay in my narrow bed and listened.

Struggling with the loss of her parents, who helped haunted souls find peace, Sylvie Mason pursues the mystery, moving closer to the truth of what happened that night as she comes to terms with her family's past.

John Searles is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,554,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible