Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy by Helen…

Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy

by Helen Fielding

Series: Bridget Jones (4)

English (61)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (67)
Oh, Bridget. I wanted a happily ever after for you. This is not that book. Presumably it is more 'interesting' to have Bridget back on the dating market than being a smug married, and a book about grief is more textured than a book about happiness. But if you are looking for a page turning silly 'what happens next?' mummy flick about dealing with headlice, be warned that Mark Darcy is dead. I was not warned.

That aside, I don't want to be judgy, but Bridget is very annoying and self sabotaging in this book. I mean, I know that's the point, she's every-woman, and we laugh at her mess-ups and feel better about our own. But her swanning through privilege (she has no need to work, she messes up every meeting about her film script), obsessing about weight and clothes and boys, and not really spending that much time with the children she loves is just a bit tedious. ( )
  atreic | May 9, 2019 |
I really wanted to like this book, I adored the first two Bridget Jones books and have read each multiple times. Bridget Jones, to me, is the embodiment of all insecurities, failings, neuroses and social pressure. This book, however, loses that.
There are some redeeming moments, some true Bridget moments, but largely she is not the Bridget Jones of the first two books. This book is set in a world where she married Mark Darcy and they had a couple of kids then he died. HE DIED. I mean, seriously? (not a spoiler, it is the first chapter.) So much of the fun of the first two books was the back and forth of Bridget and Mark and his love for her despite her continual foibles and failings. Without Mark, something is missing, and it's just sad, but not in the way it's supposed to be I think.

I didn't hate the book, I just expected more and I was disappointed. The things she did and said as a 30-something singleton were funny, and while I get that it was supposed to carry over to a 50-something single mom, it is missing something. A lot of the scenarios are repetitive or ridiculous, and the ending is too tidy and trite.

For all its shortcomings, the 3rd movie was much more true to the Bridget I know and love than this book.

Realistically I would give it 2.5/5 stars. ( )
1 vote justjoshinreads | Mar 22, 2019 |
Meh. Not content with the happy ending from the last book, here we have Bridget dealing with monumental grief will still having wacky adventures on the dating front. Added bonus: wacky adventures in parenthood! I caught the love interest the first sentence that mentioned him, which was annoying because he and Bridget had exactly zero chemistry. If you're a fan of the first two Bridget Jones books, feel free to skip this one. ( )
  melydia | Dec 25, 2018 |
I loves this book. Bridget is back and she is amazing as always. such a great read. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Fun, quick read - and in the end, quite poignant. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
So what a pleasant shock to find that the latest Bridget Jones installment, “Mad About the Boy,” is not only sharp and humorous, despite its heroine’s aged circumstances, but also snappily written, observationally astute and at times genuinely moving. Fielding has somehow pulled off the neat trick of holding to her initial premise — single woman looks for romance — while allowing her heroine to grow up into someone funnier and more interesting than she was before. Who knew middle age could be so eventful?
added by Nickelini | editNew York Times, Sarah Lyall (Oct 18, 2013)

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eräpuro, AnnikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
À Dash et Romy
Talitha vient d'appeler, avec cette voix pressante qu'elle a toujours, style ça-reste-entre-nous-mais-ce-que-je-t'annonce-c'est-du-lourd.

Bridget Jones, the iconic character who sold 15 million books worldwide,
inspired a major motion picture franchise, and became beloved as a
chardonnay-swilling everywoman, is back in this hotly anticipated third
installment.

Set in contemporary London, the new novel brings us Bridget in a new phase of
life.

"How can a reader not love this woman?" -The New York Times
"Fielding is a wonderful comic novelist." -Time
"One of the most enchanting heroines to ever overdraw her bank account." -USA
Today
"A brilliant comic creation. Even men will laugh." -Salman Rushdie
"Bridget Jones is a joy and a comfort, and Helen Fielding is bloody great."
-Mademoiselle
"Helen Fielding is one of the funniest writers alive and Bridget Jones is a creation of
comic genius." -Nick Hornby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:06 -0400)

Londonite Bridget Jones faces the challenges of maintaining sex appeal as the years roll by, the nightmares of drunken texting, the skinny jean, the disastrous e-mail cc, total lack of Twitter followers, and TVs that need ninety buttons and three remotes to simply turn on.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,434,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible