dismiss

Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy

by Helen Fielding

Series: Bridget Jones (4)

Londonite Bridget Jones faces the challenges of maintaining sex appeal as the years roll by, the nightmares of drunken texting, the skinny jean, the disastrous e-mail cc, total lack of Twitter followers, and TVs that need ninety buttons and three remotes to simply turn on.
Recently added byprivate library, Jintyman, Zuzika, Ygraine, Arina40, Rivaton

English (65)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (71)
Fluffy, compulsive reading. It's all empty calories, of course: Bridget Jones falls in love all over again with a conveniently perfect guy, after having lots of awesome sex with a conveniently perfect younger guy. It's very silly and much fun. What's life without a little cotton candy? ( )
  nandiniseshadri | Jul 12, 2020 |
Having enjoyed the previous two Bridget Jones books enormously I was really looking forward to this release, but sadly I found it to be repetitive, irritating and very disappointing. What went wrong with the author? ( )
  dolly22 | Jul 9, 2020 |
In some cases, third time is not a charm! Disappointed with the direction this third book went with Bridget Jones. The wit and humor in this story were a bit contrived and lacking the full effort of her previous tales. I'm not sure it's a spoiler....so I will just mention that you discover early in the book that something is off. As you continue to read that feeling that something (or someone) is missing stays with you until the end. I would have been better off had I not realized there was a third book! Some endings are perfect the first time. ( )
  marquis784 | Feb 15, 2020 |
I didn't enjoy this as much as the previous BJ books, I found it to be silly in parts and not reflective of the behaviour of a woman of the age portrayed
If you take some of it with a pinch of salt it is mildly humorous, I also thought the grief scenarios were well portrayed ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
Oh, Bridget. I wanted a happily ever after for you. This is not that book. Presumably it is more 'interesting' to have Bridget back on the dating market than being a smug married, and a book about grief is more textured than a book about happiness. But if you are looking for a page turning silly 'what happens next?' mummy flick about dealing with headlice, be warned that Mark Darcy is dead. I was not warned.

That aside, I don't want to be judgy, but Bridget is very annoying and self sabotaging in this book. I mean, I know that's the point, she's every-woman, and we laugh at her mess-ups and feel better about our own. But her swanning through privilege (she has no need to work, she messes up every meeting about her film script), obsessing about weight and clothes and boys, and not really spending that much time with the children she loves is just a bit tedious. ( )
  atreic | May 9, 2019 |
So what a pleasant shock to find that the latest Bridget Jones installment, “Mad About the Boy,” is not only sharp and humorous, despite its heroine’s aged circumstances, but also snappily written, observationally astute and at times genuinely moving. Fielding has somehow pulled off the neat trick of holding to her initial premise — single woman looks for romance — while allowing her heroine to grow up into someone funnier and more interesting than she was before. Who knew middle age could be so eventful?
added by Nickelini | editNew York Times, Sarah Lyall (Oct 18, 2013)

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eräpuro, AnnikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

À Dash et Romy
Talitha vient d'appeler, avec cette voix pressante qu'elle a toujours, style ça-reste-entre-nous-mais-ce-que-je-t'annonce-c'est-du-lourd.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,989,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible