Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Vintage…

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Vintage Contemporaries) (edition 2014)

by Helen Fielding (Author)

Member:klh098
Title:Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Vintage Contemporaries)
Authors:Helen Fielding (Author)
Info:Vintage (2014), Edition: Reprint, 478 pages
Tags:Ficiton

Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy by Helen Fielding

English (48)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (54)
2.5 stars. Our favorite flaky singleton, forever on a diet, is back, only now she's a mum of 2 and widowed 50 year old, who *still* hasn't gotten her act together. Hot Mess Mom.

I was annoyed at how her friends and mom kept on urging her to find someone. If I had a love like Marc Darcy's it would take more than a couple of years to get over.

Bridget tries out Twitter, where she meets her almost-30 year old boy toy, but their exchanges, both in Twitter and texts were so cringe-worthy. Maybe it showed how with the wrong person, it brought out her juvenile side?

It's like a remake of Book 1, where the charming playboy who used to be Daniel Cleaver is now Roxby, and the silent and gruff but handsome, honorable, steady, etc Mr. Darcy has found himself incarnated into Mr. Wallaker. Bridget fools around with the first but ultimately finds love with the other.

There are a few poignant moments though that shine like bursts of lucidity from a madman. The bedtime verses for the children about the princess, and the thoughts. The moment where she and her mom break down in grief had me a little bit choked up. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Hotel
  klh098 | Jun 19, 2017 |
Bridget Jones is a woman in her 50s, widowed with two small children, a cougar with a young and handsome lover, and it all should be wonderful and the Bridget Jones stories brought to life again, only somehow Fielding doesn't quite manage it this time around. I don't know if it's the widowhood or the vapidity of her romance, or the fact that quirky Bridget now, quite frankly, just seems air-headed, but I couldn't quite get behind this story or its hastily put-together ending. I gave it three stars because there were some funny parts, and because it was good enough to keep me reading, but it wasn't what I was hoping for, nor as good as I would have liked. ( )
  ahef1963 | Feb 4, 2017 |
Bridget Jones as a widow is an upsetting proposition. But get past that and it's not a terrible book, just not nearly as silly and hilarious as the first two. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Took me a while to sit down and read this book, and it went into it with low expectations - but I actually liked it. It's not Charles Dickens, it's a good beach read. I don't read Helen Fielding books for overwhelming social commentary and deep discussions of race and class - it's freaking Bridget Jones, people. She's clumsy and funny and likes an adult beverage every once in a while and struggles with finding the right person - and there's something comfortable about her that makes for a good, quick read. ( )
  AmyCahillane | Feb 24, 2016 |
So what a pleasant shock to find that the latest Bridget Jones installment, “Mad About the Boy,” is not only sharp and humorous, despite its heroine’s aged circumstances, but also snappily written, observationally astute and at times genuinely moving. Fielding has somehow pulled off the neat trick of holding to her initial premise — single woman looks for romance — while allowing her heroine to grow up into someone funnier and more interesting than she was before. Who knew middle age could be so eventful?
added by Nickelini | editNew York Times, Sarah Lyall (Oct 18, 2013)

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eräpuro, AnnikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
À Dash et Romy
Talitha vient d'appeler, avec cette voix pressante qu'elle a toujours, style ça-reste-entre-nous-mais-ce-que-je-t'annonce-c'est-du-lourd.

Bridget Jones, the iconic character who sold 15 million books worldwide,
inspired a major motion picture franchise, and became beloved as a
chardonnay-swilling everywoman, is back in this hotly anticipated third
installment.

Set in contemporary London, the new novel brings us Bridget in a new phase of
life.

"How can a reader not love this woman?" -The New York Times
"Fielding is a wonderful comic novelist." -Time
"One of the most enchanting heroines to ever overdraw her bank account." -USA
Today
"A brilliant comic creation. Even men will laugh." -Salman Rushdie
"Bridget Jones is a joy and a comfort, and Helen Fielding is bloody great."
-Mademoiselle
"Helen Fielding is one of the funniest writers alive and Bridget Jones is a creation of
comic genius." -Nick Hornby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:06 -0400)

Londonite Bridget Jones faces the challenges of maintaining sex appeal as the years roll by, the nightmares of drunken texting, the skinny jean, the disastrous e-mail cc, total lack of Twitter followers, and TVs that need ninety buttons and three remotes to simply turn on.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,158,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible