Becoming Human

by Eliza Green

Series: Exilon 5 (1)

2047106,509 (3.27)3
Time is running out for humans. A new planet can save them. A hostile alien race will destroy everything they've worked for. Bill Taggart did not expect to come face to face with his wife's killer, but in the midst of a massive relocation programme to Exilon 5, the World Government investigator has a choice to make. Continue to monitor the threat levels of the Indigene race on Exilon 5, or kill the murderer who calls himself Stephen. But there is more to the hostile Indigene race and the plans for relocation as Laura O'Halloran discovers; a secret so great it could destroy both worlds. She is faced with a decision: keep quiet about what she knows, or tell the truth. Tell the truth, of course. If only it were that simple... Becoming Human is the first book in a series of character-driven science fiction novels. If you like page turners, complex characters, and stories with twists that will keep you guessing, then you'll love Eliza Green's engaging series starter. Over a quarter of a million downloads plus 500+ four and five star reviews for the series. EXILON 5 SERIES READING ORDER Becoming Human #1Altered Reality #2Crimson Dawn #3Quantum Silence #4- Isobel #4.5- Marcus #4.6Book #5 (Coming in 2018) OTHER BOOKS BY ELIZA GREEN Feeder #1 (Young Adult Sci Fi)- Dissent #1.5- Intent #1.6Breeder #2 (Coming in 2018)… (more)

Very well writen

I am usually not a space sci fi fan, but this was a very good book with a truly unique story line. I will be reading the whole series for sure. Very good editing and the story line flows great ( )
  scttbull | Sep 3, 2021 |
Very engaging story. The story continues in the next two books, but this book does provide a satisfactory ending. I find the story and the writing good enough that I want to read more. The writing is a bit confusing or choppy in parts, but the story is so very good that I stayed with it. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
I was offered a reviewer's copy of Becoming Human by the author Eliza Green in exchange for an honest review.

The book begins with a cinematic, omniscient view of Exilon 5 as it is terraformed by humans in an attempt to create a second Earth. We get to see the devastating effects of the chemicals used on the indigenous race there which sets a very dramatic tone compared to a very under-dramatic pace of the rest of the book. I really liked the ideas presented within Becoming Human: the ethical issues of attempting to eliminate an indigenous race in the name of human survival, the intelligent aliens, as well as the way the characters tried to resolve things without resorting to killing each other. Both the humans and the Indigenes take a rational approach and try to learn about each other instead of heading straight into conflict, which was really refreshing to see.

Unfortunately, Becoming Human has a few major issues that cause the book to fall short. The first of which is the constant shifting of POV and the overwhelming amount of characters involved. In the beginning, I found it quite disorienting, as just as I was getting settled into a character and their story it switched to another, and another, and another, and another, which drastically cut down on my ability to care about each character. I wanted to hear more about Bill and his wife as there was an actual emotional connection there and something to sympathize with, but it kept switching away so by the time the story returned to him it was hard to focus. In that same vein, although I liked the scene of the alien and the young boy meeting, the boy's POV never came back again, in fact he had nothing else to do with the story, and thus made his POV feel pointless. Why did I get invested in him as a character with his mom, if he didn't have any sort of part in the story?

The second fatal flaw was the lack of tension. There wasn't enough build up of anticipation and what attempts that were thrown in were cliches. "If only she knew what would be coming next..." Those types of lines are so overused that they don't hold any power to create tension anymore. The plot also crawled at a snail's pace, focusing more on explaining things than providing any action. I could probably sum up every action in the story in a paragraph, which is really quite scary for a full length novel.

The final issue I had with the book was the simple fact that it wasn't finished. Every book, no matter where it stands in a series, must be able to stand on its own as a compete story. But Becoming Human wasn't the full story. Honestly, I believe the climax of the story (in which all our POV characters collide) should have been the inciting incident. The book leaves off with several main characters racing off to find out the truth on Exilon 5, when in reality that was the story I expected in this book. It's when the story can actually begin. Coupled with the slow action and lack of tension, it felt like filler just to force the reader to buy the second book to get the story they were promised. All this book did was raise questions, and then answer a few questions no one asked, which only raised even more questions and did little to give any sense of a conclusion.

All in all, 2/5 stars. Definitely some potential, but some fundamental writing flaws hold the story back. ( )
1 vote KatCarson | Nov 23, 2017 |
Hard to review this book. I think my score would be more a 3.5, but I like to support indie authors, so an extra half.

There's a LOT of exposition. Too much, I think. There are a million POV characters, to the point I lost track of who was who several times. There are so many story threads it's hard to follow, and the entire first 2/3 of the book feels like world building, backstory and in some places, filler. And yet...The story is great, many of the characters are very likeable and as the first book in a trilogy, I would expect the majority of the world building and background is done now, and the next two books will be more like the final third of this one.

And that final third really shines. The writing crisped up, the dialogue too, the action and pacing sped up and yet evened out as well, and all the threads that were not entirely making sense to me earlier in the book, came together into a whole.

Probably the best indie sci-fi I've ever read, I really enjoyed it, and I will be looking out for the rest of the series.(Disclosure: Picked it up as a freebie from the Amazon daily free books)

NB: This review was written in 2012. I am not sure I'd still rate this the best indie sci-fi I've ever read, but it's probably still up there in the top ten or so. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
Brilliant! I'll be getting the second in this series ( )
  sundowneruk | Feb 2, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

They watched the multiple independent re-entry vehicles approach in the night's sky, illuminated by a string of bright lights along their exteriors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,881,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible