Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, Third Edition…

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, Third Edition (original 1994; edition 2004)

by Robert Sapolsky (Author)

Renowned primatologist Robert Sapolsky offers a completely revised and updated edition of his most popular work, with over 225,000 copies in print Now in a third edition, Robert M. Sapolsky's acclaimed and successfulWhy Zebras Don't Get Ulcers features new chapters on how stress affects sleep and addiction, as well as new insights into anxiety and personality disorder and the impact of spirituality on managing stress. As Sapolsky explains, most of us do not lie awake at night worrying about whether we have leprosy or malaria. Instead, the diseases we fear-and the ones that plague us now-are illnesses brought on by the slow accumulation of damage, such as heart disease and cancer. When we worry or experience stress, our body turns on the same physiological responses that an animal's does, but we do not resolve conflict in the same way-through fighting or fleeing. Over time, this activation of a stress response makes us literally sick. Combining cutting-edge research with a healthy dose of good humor and practical advice,Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers explains how prolonged stress causes or intensifies a range of physical and mental afflictions, including depression, ulcers, colitis, heart disease, and more. It also provides essential guidance to controlling our stress responses. This new edition promises to be the most comprehensive and engaging one yet.… (more)
Member:raivivek
Title:Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, Third Edition
Authors:Robert Sapolsky (Author)
Info:Holt Paperbacks (2004), Edition: 3rd, 560 pages
Tags:to-read, goodreads

Why Zebras Dont Get Ulcers: A Guide to Stress, Stress-Related Diseases, and Coping by Robert M. Sapolsky (Author) (1994)

No one else has got me wanting to understand more about any kind of biology since I left school. Robert sapolsky has a very engaging way of dealing with what, to a layman, is quite technical in parts.

He explains how and why different people respond to stress, both in terms of physiology and psychology. If you are constantly stressed and planning to live a long time this could be an alarming read. There are no easy fixes of the kind you might find in a self-help book, the guidance is much more considered and nuanced.

If you want to be much better informed and are prepared to put a bit of effort in (if you are new to neurobiology) both in reading and in thinking about what this might mean for you, then I would strongly recommend this book. ( )
  peterjt | Feb 20, 2020 |
So, "why zebras don't get ulcers?" The primary reason is that stress endured tends to be short lived, while humans frequently experience prolonged stress.

Dr. Sapolsky, professor of biology and neurology, peppers this book with humor as he explains how prolonged stress causes or exacerbates a variety of physical and mental illnesses and disorders including depression, coronary heart disease, ulcers, etc. He also provides research which detail which coping mechanisms buffers some from the negative effects of prolonged stress and not others. The book made more enjoyable by segregating the details of the research at the end of the book ( )
  John_Warner | Aug 24, 2019 |
In this humorous and informative book, Robert Sapolsky explains how and why stress affects our bodies. The premise is that prey animals like zebras use a stress response in an evolutionary sensible way by upping certain hormones while they are being hunted, but then the zebras' stress levels drop again when they escape. Humans (and at some level baboons) have the same bodily changes, only our stress tends to be small amounts for long periods of time, meaning the effects on the nervous system (lower digestion, higher blood pressure, reduced growth, etc.) remain continuously activated. Therefore, human stress is not sensible from an evolutionary standpoint. Each chapter in Sapolsky's book covers a different bodily system and explains in detail how and why stress affects it. He ends with a rather lengthy description of how lower socio-economic status affects our bodies. Although this section was interesting, it seemed a bit lengthy and out of place from the rest of the book. The subject could be a book all on its own.

One thing I loved about this book is it's approachability. It was easy to read and made me laugh several times each chapter. Sapolsky has an excellent dry sense of humor. He also included a picture of baboons smack in the middle of his book for seemingly no reason. That made me laugh.

I was listening to his companion set of lectures Stress and Your Body concurrently, though I dropped behind and still have several lectures yet to finish of the course. You can see some details of the information covered in the book and lectures if you check out the above link. In hindsight, although both were enjoyable, only one or the other was necessary as most of the material was exactly the same - even to the wording.

This is a very stressful book to read, so watch out if you are prone to stress. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Sep 27, 2016 |
I truly enjoyed this book. The author is knowledgeable and thorough in his explanations. He covers the effects of stress on the body systems and also looks at holisticaly. I would suggest this book to anyone who has a body and gets stressed. ( )
  GlennBell | Mar 27, 2015 |
Finally finished this book, audiobook format. Well- (if not over-) written but with humour and lots of life analogies to help cut through the enormous amount of medical-ese. This unabridged audiobook was long - 15 discs - and the reader (Peter Berkrot) was excellent. But I think Sapolsky could have made a case for a good book in half the amount of pages (discs) than he did. I did find myself skipping ahead so as not to have to listen to yet another study because after awhile, it became overkill.

Bottom line, stress can cause all sorts of nasty problems to a human body. Different personality types, the way a person was raised, and the way a person responds to stress can influence health. Certain personality types can also be more prone to the adverse effects of stress. In other words, no easy answers. ( )
  jessibud2 | May 10, 2014 |
For Lisa, my best friend, who has made my life complete
It's two o'clock in the morning and you're lying in bed.

Gift from Horv

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,500,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible