Downton Abbey: The Complete Scripts, Season Two

by Julian Fellowes

The full scripts of series two, including previously unseen dialogue and drama. They give readers the opportunity to read the work in more detail and study the characters, pace and themes in depth. With an introduction and commentary from Julian Fellowes, this is an insight into how he researched and crafted the world of Downton Abbey.… (more)

Another script. Fun to read if you've watched the show. There's not a lot to say about the script here, as it's basically the same format if you've read the Season One text. It's barebones, with notes, stories, history and fun anecdotes from Fellows. He can be very dry and that comes through very well in the footnotes. There are no pictures, no extraneous bits.

I would say I'm glad I read if only for the very first line of the introduction, where Fellows notes the second season/series is very different from the first. As I watched I knew there was a decay (and fans differ on exactly where things started going wrong but I believe the rest of the show never lived up to the first season) and it was nice to see that confirmed, even if Fellows writes that it was a difference rather than deterioration. :P

Not much more to say. If you enjoyed the first version of this then you'll probably like it (unless you stopped watching or didn't like the later seasons). I still have some reservations: wish he had MORE notes, would have loved more details in some areas, less in others. I'm not sure I fully agree with some of the edits, changes or some of the intentions of Fellows but this was interesting to skim.

It's expensive for a book that is just scripts (in my opinion) of episodes and just a bit of commentary. Borrow from the library or be on the lookout for it cheap if you really want to read it. ( )
  HoldMyBook | Feb 11, 2018 |
Picked this up at a library friends sale. As a fan of the show, I'm enjoying reading the scripts and hearing the actors' voices in my head. With Fellowes' footnotes about inspirations for scenes, viewpoints on history, and personal commentary, I am gaining greater appreciation for what the show has accomplished. Do I dare track down the other script volumes??? ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 13, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,932,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible