Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The disaster artist : my life inside the…

The disaster artist : my life inside the room, the greatest bad movie ever…

by Greg Sestero, Tom Bissell

Member:anthonypvk
Title:The disaster artist : my life inside the room, the greatest bad movie ever made
Authors:Greg Sestero
Other authors:Tom Bissell
Info:

The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made by Greg Sestero

It would have been easy for Greg Sestero to write a slap-dash "tell all" book about the making of The Room, the most famously infamous of bad movies. It would be so easy to stuff the book full of funny anecdotes of the hell Tommy Wiseau put his cast and crew through, and leave it at that. It would be so easy to laugh.

But Greg denies that impulse. Instead, he wrote a lovely, tragic story about a friendship that was both incredibly toxic and incredibly life-saving to both him and Tommy. And yes, there are the funny stories about Tommy's mania and insistence on nonsensical details or scenes. But those parts are countered with real tenderness for Tommy, and a deep desire to understand and love him.

I listened to the audiobook version of this on recommendation from a friend, and I'm so glad I did. Greg does a spot-on Tommy impression.

The Disaster Artist is a genuinely wonderful, thought-provoking, and wholly unexpected book. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Enjoyable glimpse behind the scenes of the making of The Room. Tommy Wiseau remains a huge mystery. ( )
  brakketh | May 25, 2019 |
It was a decent book ( )
  KIW123 | Oct 17, 2018 |
It was a decent book ( )
  KeepItWeird | Oct 14, 2018 |
Road trip! 2,500-mile round trip taking my daughter to college and driving back alone calls for a whole lot of audiobooks. (4 of 7)

The highlight of the trip! Provided much joy and laughter!

This book makes the suffering of actually watching The Room almost worthwhile. And Sestero's Tommy Wiseau imitation in the audiobook is better than James Franco's in the movie adaptation. I enjoyed the movie, but I much prefer the book for its richer detail and more complex portrayal of Sestero and Wiseau's relationship.

The only drawback? You really must watch The Room to fully appreciate this book, but I cannot in clear conscience recommend that anyone inflict that experience upon themselves. But if you have that misfortune, here is the silver lining. ( )
  villemezbrown | Sep 4, 2018 |

Sestero, Gregprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bissell, Tommain authorall editionsconfirmed
Archer, AkashaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Imagine a movie so incomprehensible that you find yourself compelled to watch it over and over again.

"In 2003, an independent film called The Room--starring and written, produced, directed by a mysteriously wealthy social misfit of indeterminate age and origin named Tommy Wiseau--made its disastrous debut in Los Angeles. Described by one reviewer as "like getting stabbed in the head," the six-million-dollar film earned a grand total of $1800 at the box office and closed after two weeks. Ten years later, The Room is an international cult phenomenon. Thousands of fans wait in line for hours to attend screenings complete with costumes, audience rituals, merchandising, and thousands of plastic spoons. In The Disaster Artist, actor Greg Sestero, Tommy's costar and longtime best friend, recounts the film's long, strange journey to infamy, unraveling mysteries for fans--who on earth is "Steven," and what's with that hospital on Guerrero Street?--as well as the question that plagues the uninitiated: how the hell did a movie this awful ever get made? But more than just a laugh-out-loud funny story about cinematic hubris, The Disaster Artist is also a great piece of narrative nonfiction, a portrait of a mysterious man who got past every road block in the Hollywood system to achieve success on his own terms. Written with a gimlet eye but an open heart, The Disaster Artist is the hilarious and inspiring story of a dream that just wouldn't die"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,506,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible