The Orpheus Descent

by Tom Harper

I have never written down the answers to the deepest mysteries, nor will I ever...The philosopher Plato wrote these words more than two thousand years ago, following a perilous voyage to Italy -- an experience about which he never spoke again, but from which he emerged the greatest thinker in all of human history. Today, twelve golden tablets sit in museums around the world, each created by unknown hands and buried in ancient times, and each providing the dead with the route to the afterlife. Archaeologist Lily Barnes, working on a dig in southern Italy, has just found another. But this tablet names the location to the mouth of hell itself. And then Lily vanishes. Has she walked out on her job, her marriage, and her life -- or has something more sinister happened? Her husband, Jonah, is desperate to find her. But no one can help him: not the police, and not the secretive foundation that sponsored her dig. All Jonah has is belief, and a determination to do whatever it takes to get Lily back. But like Plato before him, Jonah will discover the journey ahead is mysterious and dark and fraught with danger. And not everyone who travels to the hidden place where Lily has gone can return.… (more)

Lento, molto lento, lentissimo. Storia discreta ma spesso leggendo a letto mi sono addormentato con questo libro. ( )
  maxliscia | Aug 7, 2017 |
Mess of a plot and really flat characters, especially the main characters. Just not that entertaining a novel. ( )
  lincolnpan | Dec 31, 2014 |
I really enjoyed how the author tied historical and present day stories together with philosophy, archaeology, intrigue, and a quest for mysteries beyond the human experience. This is the first book I have read by Tom Harper and it was hard for me to put it down. ( )
  marysneedle | Jul 22, 2014 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

No one in his right mind would try to express his deepest thoughts in words - let alone put them down in writing.
Plato, Letter 7.
For Matthew.
Beauty and Truth.
Imagine our situation something like this.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,523,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible