The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman

The Magician's Land

by Lev Grossman

Series: The Magicians (3)

English (60)  French (1)  All (61)
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2017/04/09/my-year-in-reading-cassie-las-march-2017-wrap-up/

The last book in The Magicians trilogy ends the series with a bang — and here I was just expecting some whimpering from Quentin. From a magical heist to the return of some beloved and not so beloved characters, a brand new book in the Fillory series and even an apocalypse, I didn’t realize I was ready to say goodbye to Quentin and his story until it was already over. ( )
  yrchmonger | Apr 9, 2017 |
4.5 stars

I loved the first 2 books and read them back to back. Quite a bit of time passed before I read this final book. I wish that I would have reread or at least reviewed the others before starting it. I do recommend doing that because there are several key characters and a very rich plot throughout. I really like how the author hints at so many well-known fantasy stories and then totally takes them a different direction. You never actually know what type of outcome to expect. It's wonderful to me that there isn't a single magical way to fix it all or a specific quest the characters are on. Things just go how they're gonna go. If you're lucky enough to be apart of it then you are. Excellent. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
This volume was a vast improvement over the preceding two. I see how they were necessary though. Quentin really evolved in this one. He was much less of a douchey tool and it was rewarding to see some self-actualization and growth finally. I thought the way everything ended was suitable and lovely. It almost makes me sad that the series is over. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
Awesome ending to such a great series!!
  mleivers | Aug 29, 2016 |
Description: Quentin Coldwater has been cast out of Fillory, the secret magical land of his childhood dreams. With nothing left to lose he returns to where his story began, the Brakebills Preparatory College of Magic. But he can’t hide from his past, and it’s not long before it comes looking for him.

Along with Plum, a brilliant young undergraduate with a dark secret of her own, Quentin sets out on a crooked path through a magical demimonde of gray magic and desperate characters. But all roads lead back to Fillory, and his new life takes him to old haunts, like Antarctica, and to buried secrets and old friends he thought were lost forever. He uncovers the key to a sorcery masterwork, a spell that could create magical utopia, a new Fillory—but casting it will set in motion a chain of events that will bring Earth and Fillory crashing together. To save them he will have to risk sacrificing everything.

The Magician’s Land is an intricate thriller, a fantastical epic, and an epic of love and redemption that brings the Magicians trilogy to a magnificent conclusion, confirming it as one of the great achievements in modern fantasy. It’s the story of a boy becoming a man, an apprentice becoming a master, and a broken land finally becoming whole.

Thoughts: I finished my reread/listen of this a month ago... I know I had more interesting things to say than I can remember to say now. I still enjoyed this book, especially the new character of Plum. I like that we see and learn even more of Fillory via Elliot and Janet's wanderings. I love that Alice gets to come back to us. Good all around.

Rating: 3.83
Liked: 4
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4
Writing: 3.5
Audio: 4
  leahbird | Jul 10, 2016 |
This trilogy is not, as it is so often described, "Harry Potter for adults." But it is a meditation on whether magic cake can be eaten happily or whether it would go stale when exposed to the bitter air of a more realistic treatment. Maybe, this masterful close suggests, both real and fantasy worlds have space for heroes and magic.

“The Magician’s Land” is the strongest book in Grossman’s series. It not only offers a satisfying conclusion to Quentin Coldwater’s quests, earthly and otherwise, but also considers complex questions about identity and selfhood as profound as they are entertaining.

Lev Grossmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Massard, DidierCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Further up and further in!
-- C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle
For Halcyon
The letter had said to meet in a bookstore.
"Maybe when you give up your dreams, you find that there's more to life then dreaming" - Quentin Coldwater Pg.24
It didn’t matter where you were, if you were in a room full of books you were at least halfway home
Look, Vile Father spent his whole life learning to kill people with a knife on a stick. Was that cheating? Well, while he was doing his squats and whatever else, Eliot had spent his whole life learning magic.
Guy lives in a fantasy world without junk food or cars or trans fats or TV and he’s still fat. You had to admire his dedication to the cause.
Probably it was Written somewhere, probably there’s always been a big alpenhorn somewhere under glass, with a sign that says In case of Ragnarok break glass and play an E flat.

Magical lands can

reunite friends but they can

also destroy them.

(legallypuzzled)

"Quentin Coldwater has been cast out of Fillory, the secret magical land of his childhood dreams. With nothing left to lose he returns to where his story began, the Brakebills Preparatory College of Magic. But he can't hide from his past, and it's not long before it comes looking for him. Along with Plum, a brilliant young undergraduate with a dark secret of her own, Quentin sets out on a crooked path through a magical demimonde of gray magic and desperate characters. But all roads lead back to Fillory, and his new life takes him to old haunts, like Antarctica, and to buried secrets and old friends he thought were lost forever. He uncovers the key to a sorcery masterwork, a spell that could create magical utopia, a new Fillory--but casting it will set in motion a chain of events that will bring Earth and Fillory crashing together. To save them he will have to risk sacrificing everything"--… (more)

367 wanted3 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,802,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible