The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman

The Magician's Land

by Lev Grossman

Series: The Magicians (3)

English (62)  French (1)  All (63)
"He mourned them alone, the only person on earth who knew that once upon a time he used to wear a crown and sit on a throne. But you couldn't mourn forever. Or you could, but as it turned out there were better things to do..."

Wholly satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. Just... wow.

So... I was caught up in the first book, got over the bad taste in my mouth the second book left me with... to this glorious conclusion of a third book. I did not read the trilogy all in one go. I must mention that I really appreciate Grossman's writing with those subtle satirical touches and the sudden lol-inducing snark in the middle of heavy weight feels sprinkled here and there.

After finishing it... I was suddenly reminded of Carol Berg's Rai-Kirah trilogy as they both left me with a similar feel at the end (something along the lines of character self-actualisation? Although my ratings for the Rai-Kirah books leave me a bit confused 3-5-3 stars respectively for books 1 through 3 - if I recall correctly I enjoyed the second book the most but the third book was a slog for more than half of the pages - but... great ending). Like an long arduous mountain climb, getting to the peak at the end (despite all the berating why-am-i-torturing-myself monologues and fist shakes to the sky) - with that feeling of immense satisfaction of reaching the top... and smiling stupidly to yourself all the way back down and for the next few days afterwards.

Great stuff. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
it was a fitting end to the story, all the story lines where wrapped up neatly. Although it was wrapped up in differently left room for another book if he decides to. i would differently recommend the series ( )
  cbloky | Apr 29, 2017 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2017/04/09/my-year-in-reading-cassie-las-march-2017-wrap-up/

The last book in The Magicians trilogy ends the series with a bang — and here I was just expecting some whimpering from Quentin. From a magical heist to the return of some beloved and not so beloved characters, a brand new book in the Fillory series and even an apocalypse, I didn’t realize I was ready to say goodbye to Quentin and his story until it was already over. ( )
  yrchmonger | Apr 9, 2017 |
4.5 stars

I loved the first 2 books and read them back to back. Quite a bit of time passed before I read this final book. I wish that I would have reread or at least reviewed the others before starting it. I do recommend doing that because there are several key characters and a very rich plot throughout. I really like how the author hints at so many well-known fantasy stories and then totally takes them a different direction. You never actually know what type of outcome to expect. It's wonderful to me that there isn't a single magical way to fix it all or a specific quest the characters are on. Things just go how they're gonna go. If you're lucky enough to be apart of it then you are. Excellent. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
This volume was a vast improvement over the preceding two. I see how they were necessary though. Quentin really evolved in this one. He was much less of a douchey tool and it was rewarding to see some self-actualization and growth finally. I thought the way everything ended was suitable and lovely. It almost makes me sad that the series is over. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
“The Magician’s Land” is the strongest book in Grossman’s series. It not only offers a satisfying conclusion to Quentin Coldwater’s quests, earthly and otherwise, but also considers complex questions about identity and selfhood as profound as they are entertaining.

Lev Grossmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Massard, DidierCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Further up and further in!
-- C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle
For Halcyon
The letter had said to meet in a bookstore.
"Maybe when you give up your dreams, you find that there's more to life then dreaming" - Quentin Coldwater Pg.24
It didn’t matter where you were, if you were in a room full of books you were at least halfway home
Look, Vile Father spent his whole life learning to kill people with a knife on a stick. Was that cheating? Well, while he was doing his squats and whatever else, Eliot had spent his whole life learning magic.
Guy lives in a fantasy world without junk food or cars or trans fats or TV and he’s still fat. You had to admire his dedication to the cause.
Probably it was Written somewhere, probably there’s always been a big alpenhorn somewhere under glass, with a sign that says In case of Ragnarok break glass and play an E flat.

Magical lands can

reunite friends but they can

also destroy them.

(legallypuzzled)

"Quentin Coldwater has been cast out of Fillory, the secret magical land of his childhood dreams. With nothing left to lose he returns to where his story began, the Brakebills Preparatory College of Magic. But he can't hide from his past, and it's not long before it comes looking for him. Along with Plum, a brilliant young undergraduate with a dark secret of her own, Quentin sets out on a crooked path through a magical demimonde of gray magic and desperate characters. But all roads lead back to Fillory, and his new life takes him to old haunts, like Antarctica, and to buried secrets and old friends he thought were lost forever. He uncovers the key to a sorcery masterwork, a spell that could create magical utopia, a new Fillory--but casting it will set in motion a chain of events that will bring Earth and Fillory crashing together. To save them he will have to risk sacrificing everything"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,173,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible