The Kissing Hand (1993)

by Audrey Penn

Series: The Kissing Hand (1)

When Chester the raccoon is reluctant to go to kindergarten for the first time, his mother teaches him a secret way to carry her love with him.

English (274)  Spanish (1)  All languages (275)
I read this book and it's follow up, A Pocketful of Kisses, with Junior. It quickly became a favorite read. He also wanted a kissing hand. Once I filled his hand with kisses, he insisted on filling mine. When he came home from school he would tell me if he was low on kisses. This was a highlight for me. Touch does not come easy to Junior. Neither do great shows of affection. It is just part of his autism. That he wanted kisses on his palm thrilled me. That he wanted to give them - well I don't have words to fully express my joy. All from this wonderful story of a mother's love. We continue to read this book together. It is one of his frequent request. The story is absolutely delightful. The pictures are rich and filled with the love between Chester and his mother. I highly recommend this book.

Junior: I love this story. It told me about the kissing hand. Now I don't have to miss my grandma so much. I have kisses in my hand. I really like the pictures. I like the raccoon. It wears a mask like a bandit. I thought it was because it will steal your food. But I read about them and maybe it is to help them see. Did you know a raccoon can run so fast at 15 miles per hour? Did you know they like to go in water? They examine things they find in the water. Their hands have fingers. That is what makes it so good at stealing food. Like the book says they stay up at night time. I wonder if Chester closes his hand to keep the kisses in? I do at first but when they are stuck I open my hand. ( )
  Wulfwyn907 | Jan 30, 2022 |
Title: The Kissing Hand
- Author: Audrey Penn
- Illustrator: Ruth Harper
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster
- Date: 1993 (year published), January 13, 2022 (date read)
- Pages: 33
- Type of Book Format/ Literary Genre: Picture Book; fiction
- Short Summary of the Main Plot: The story begins with Chester the raccoon expressing his fears to his mother about starting school and wanting to stay home with her. But his mother explains to him that at school he will make new friends and play with new toys, read new book, and play on swings. His mother shares with him a secret, called the kissing hand; his mother gives him a kiss on the palm of his hand and tells him when he needs some love just press your hand on your cheek and know that she loves him. Chester gives his mothers hand a kiss too and runs off to school.
- Tags/Subject Headings that Describe the Content: the love between a mother and child, pushing yourself to do new things, reassurance, bravery.
- My response: I thought this book was strong in all aspects and I think it would be a good addition to a classroom environment. This is because it talks about being scared to go to school, but the mother lets him know that it will be good for him because he gets to try new things.
  MayaBust | Jan 20, 2022 |
My grandma always sent my kids off with a kiss in their palm. When she died, I sent her off with one in her's. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 23, 2021 |
Can be used to teach students about emotions ( )
  kennedywilliams | Jul 28, 2021 |
This book is adorable. It is a great first day of school book to read to kids. ( )
  emilylaurendav | Apr 18, 2021 |

Penn, Audreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibson, Barbara LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harper, Ruth E.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leak, Nancy M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To: Stefanie Rebecca Korn and children everywhere who love to be loved.
Chester Raccoon stood at the edge of the forest and cried.

Plot Summary: Chester the raccoon is about to go to school for the very first time. However, he is nervous and does not want to leave his mother. What Chester soon finds out is that his mother has a secret for him that will make going to school much easier. The secret is the Kissing Hand. Chester's mother gives him a big kiss on his hand before his first day at school, and tells Chester to hold his hand close to his heart whenever he is missing his mother to comfort him.

Extensions: responsibility, overcoming challenges

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,056,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible