Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes

Wemberly Worried

by Kevin Henkes

This is an adorable book that made me giggle a number of times. Henkes does a wonderful job using repetition, illustration and believable characters to create a good time story. Henkes continually repeats “and she worried and she worried and she worried.” This easily and effectively symbolizes how much Wemberly worried throughout the story. Henkes also chose to expand upon his language through illustration. Whatever messages he did not convey through his writing, he included in his drawings. An example of this is when he would simply write, “and she worried,” without the illustration we would be lost as to what had Wemberly troubled. But, if we take a look at the illustration you could easily tell that school had her worried. Finally, he made the main character, Wemberly, extremely relatable since each and every one of us worries about something. This also leads into his main message that worrying fixes nothing. He even goes as far to say that sometimes going with the flow is the best solution to your troubles. ( )
  ShelbyBurton | Oct 13, 2014 |
Wemberly worries about everything! The lesson of this story tells us not to worry! Everything is going to ok!
  SRThompson | Oct 2, 2014 |
I thought this book was very cute and was a good book for a few reasons. One reason is like the how the author had believable characters and could relate the characters to the reader(s). This book is directed towards the kindergarten age group and children in kindergarten have fears about school just like Wemberly did. Some of her fears were, "what if the teacher is mean, what if I can't find the bathroom or what if they make fun of my name". All are common fears that children experience on their very first day of school. I liked how the readers can relate to Wemberly and her feelings about her first day of school. I also liked the illustrations in the book. The illustrations engage the reader as they show different activities the reader experiences throughout the book and her emotion(s) during them. When Wemberly arrives at school, the illustrator shows her reaction to all the other students and the classroom setting. The look on Wemberlys face when she arrives engages the reader and pushes him/her to find out what Wemberly is going to do at school and how she is going to act. The main message of the story is to not worry so much. Chances are there is someone who has the same fears as you do and if you try something new and step out of your comfort zone, you will actually enjoy it. When Wemberly meets a friend just like her, she stops worrying so much and ends up having a great day at school. ( )
  Shardy2 | Oct 1, 2014 |
Wemberly Worried is a book all about how you shouldn't overly worry about life and live it instead! I liked this book because of the real life application and truth that it actually had hidden within the context. I really liked the character development of Wemberly as she went through the story trying to overcome her worrisome personality. The progression of her character to the point she meets her new friend and overcomes worry enough to want to try new things. The other thing I really liked in the book was the push that the book has on the reader. It makes the reader think about their own worry and how much it can limit someones life like Wemberly when she was so worried ab out everything she did nothing. ( )
  mduval7 | Sep 25, 2014 |
I really liked this book for two main reasons. One reason I liked this book was for the main character. The main character Wemberly is a young girl mouse who worries about everything. I think that this can be very relatable to young children because they may also find themselves worrying about a lot of different things. For example, one of the main things that the main character was worried about in this book was starting school. I think that many children can relate to this because starting school is a big step in their lives and they might find themselves worrying about it just like Wemberly did. Another reason why I liked this book was for the illustrations. I thought that the illustrations were wonderful. There was always a picture or a set of pictures that went with every part of the story. I thought that the pictures made the story come to life. For example, when Wemberly was worried about no one coming to her birthday party, there is a picture of all of her friends having fun while she is standing there alone looking worried. This illustration emphasizes how much she truly worries about everything, even if it doesn't seem like she should be worrying. Overall, I think that the big idea of the story was that you can overcome being worried with the help of a friend. ( )
  akwon3 | Sep 17, 2014 |
For Phyllis, who never worries
Wemberly worried about everything.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688170277, Hardcover)

Wemberly the mouse worries about everything: big things, like whether her parents might disappear in the middle of the night; little things, like whether she'll spill grape juice on her toy rabbit, Petal; and things in between, like whether she might shrink in the bathtub. What she is more worried about than anything else, however, is her first day at the New Morning Nursery School: "What if no one else has spots? What if no one else wears stripes? What if no one else brings a doll? What if the teacher is mean? What if the room smells bad?" Happily, Miss Peachum introduces her to a kindred spirit right away. Jewel doesn't have spots, but she is wearing stripes and holding a doll. As Wemberly plays with her new friend, she still worries, but no more than usual. ("And sometimes even less.")

Kevin Henkes, well-loved creator of the award-winning Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, gets to the heart of a child's feelings like no one else can. Young worrywarts (and their parents) will see themselves in Wemberly, and be relieved that she, too, worries about playground equipment ("Too rusty. Too loose. Too high."), sure-to-be-inhabited cracks in the wall, whether she will be the only butterfly in the Halloween parade, and, of course, whether school will be dreadful in every way. Henkes's Lilly-style illustrations are sweet, expressive, and loaded with funny, inventive details that invite close perusal with every reading. (Wemberly's roller-blading grandma, for example, is wearing a T-shirt that says "Go with the flow.") We're not worried about whether this book will become a classic--it will! (Ages 4 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:23 -0400)

A mouse named Wemberly, who worries about everything, finds that she has a whole list of things to worry about when she faces the first day of nursery school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,711,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible