Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes

Wemberly Worried

by Kevin Henkes

2,020933,315 (4.12)5

I would suggest this book as a story for read aloud to k-2 graders because it has nice illustrations that they will enjoy and they could also start reading the book on their own because the wording is just difficult enough to give them a little challenge without being too challenging. However, I think it could also be used as a lesson for -35 graders on anxiety and how to cope with iy because today many many kids/teens and even adults struggle with so I think that would be a very important lesson to have.
  aburgin01 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes is an excellent book for young children. Wemberly, the main character, worries about the first day of school, but in the end she realizes that school is nothing to worry about. I think the message of the book is great for all young children, but especially those who worry a lot. This would be a great book to read to students on their first day of school. Wemberly Worried is best suited for K-2nd grade readers. ( )
  swarnk1 | Dec 8, 2015 |
Wemberly worries about everything there is to possibly worry about. When she goes to school, her teacher notices she is worried and introduces her to Jewel. Jewel worries a lot too, and perhaps that is why she and Wemberly got along so well. When Wemberly plays with Jewel, she worries “sometimes even less.” (Henkes) I enjoy this book a lot because it addresses the issue of childhood anxiety. Henkes’ illustrations are wonderful as always, depicting mice as the characters. I like that Wemberly finds someone that is like her and makes a friend, so it can show children that people sometimes share the same feelings, such as being worried. However, dislike that Wemberly’s anxiety or worry is totally resolved. I would use this in an elementary classroom and discuss how feelings are shared from person to person, because each child needs to understand that other people feel negative emotions too. ( )
  k.hostetler11 | Dec 3, 2015 |
Wemberly worries about everything. I used this for story time today but I think it would be best one on one for someone who is starting school. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
For Phyllis, who never worries
Wemberly worried about everything.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688170277, Hardcover)

Wemberly the mouse worries about everything: big things, like whether her parents might disappear in the middle of the night; little things, like whether she'll spill grape juice on her toy rabbit, Petal; and things in between, like whether she might shrink in the bathtub. What she is more worried about than anything else, however, is her first day at the New Morning Nursery School: "What if no one else has spots? What if no one else wears stripes? What if no one else brings a doll? What if the teacher is mean? What if the room smells bad?" Happily, Miss Peachum introduces her to a kindred spirit right away. Jewel doesn't have spots, but she is wearing stripes and holding a doll. As Wemberly plays with her new friend, she still worries, but no more than usual. ("And sometimes even less.")

Kevin Henkes, well-loved creator of the award-winning Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, gets to the heart of a child's feelings like no one else can. Young worrywarts (and their parents) will see themselves in Wemberly, and be relieved that she, too, worries about playground equipment ("Too rusty. Too loose. Too high."), sure-to-be-inhabited cracks in the wall, whether she will be the only butterfly in the Halloween parade, and, of course, whether school will be dreadful in every way. Henkes's Lilly-style illustrations are sweet, expressive, and loaded with funny, inventive details that invite close perusal with every reading. (Wemberly's roller-blading grandma, for example, is wearing a T-shirt that says "Go with the flow.") We're not worried about whether this book will become a classic--it will! (Ages 4 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

A mouse named Wemberly, who worries about everything, finds that she has a whole list of things to worry about when she faces the first day of nursery school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,146,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible