Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted: And all the…

Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted: And all the Brilliant Minds Who Made The… (2013)

by Jennifer Keishin Armstrong

I love tv. I love books. This title was a perfect one for me to read. As a child we watched all the shows we could ; all the shows.

Armstrong tells us all about the quirky cast of actors and professionals who brought it to life. The 70s were a golden age for sit-coms. Writers typically wrote a fairly formulaic sort of script, prior to this time. Sit-coms tended to deal with mix-ups and miscommunication, adding a bit of laughter as a solution to the problem came to be, or they filled the scenes with guffaws and slapstick. The Mary Tyler Moore Show took comedy to places writers hadn't previously dared go. They wrote a show that dealt with the mundanities of daily life with a bit of mostly genteel, butg slightly veering humor. They also pushed themselves and the audience to accept a bit of the utter sadness that rears its head in life, but still managed to make us laugh, or at least giggle a bit, in the process.

This show was such a hit that it spun-off series for Valerie Harper as Rhoda, Cloris Leachman as Phyllis, and Ed Asked as Lou Grant. Imagine that! We co hkd explore characters who had been important to the series but hadn't been meant to be the center of attention. The MTMShow writing was so good that it made us yearn for more, and we were fortunate to receive it. Later, Gavin McCloud led The Love Boat from the helm of a ship, not stealing all the limelight, but still being the star of the show. Ted Knight starred in Too Close for Comfort, and even Caddyshack. Betty White graced us in The Golden Girls, while John Amos impressed everyone wijrh his portrayal of Toby in the adaptation of Alex Haley's book 'Roots' into a made-for-tv mini-series. Asner, too, had a role. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Jun 26, 2017 |
Behind the scenes of the iconic 70's show. I learned quite a bit about the people who created, produced, and wrote the show. I did not realize before reading the book how many women writers were hired for the show. I would say the majority of the book is about the people and situations behind the scenes of the show and not as much about the actors. Still, I read it cover to cover. I really liked it. ( )
  Likeitorlumpit | Dec 3, 2016 |
Anyone who loved the Mary Tyler Moore Show (and who doesn't?), will enjoy this look at the making of the groundbreaking comedy. You'll meet the writers, producers, directors, guest stars, and actors. I thought I knew it all, but I didn't. Enjoy! ( )
  cherybear | Feb 14, 2016 |
However, while it was socially conscious, THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW rarely tackled hot-button social issues head-on (that was ALL IN THE FAMILY's thing). It also never forgot that, despite having its star's name in the title, it was first and foremost an ensemble comedy; it had to develop its characters and their relationships, and it had to be funny. Its success at both makes it an enduring example of "quality television;" the fact that it gave a new voice, both on- and off-screen, to women is what makes it a genuine classic.

MORE: http://www.3rsblog.com/2014/12/ebook-talk-mary-and-lou-and-rhoda-and-ted-jennife... ( )
  Florinda | Dec 29, 2014 |
For those who didn’t watch it at the time, it’s a bit hard to describe The Mary Tyler Moore Show. It was funny, but avoided cheap laughs; it was realistic at a time when shows like Gilligan’s Island and The Beverly Hillbillies were popular. It was sweet without being cloying, yet it wasn’t afraid of a little wickedness, such as casting Betty White, whose image at the time was completely wholesome, as a hilariously self-serving bitch. Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted puts the show in the context of the times and tells one repeatable story after another about its creation, evolution, and end. In that way, it’s a wonderful sequel (prequel?) to Alan Sepinwall’s The Revolution Will Be Televised (which I also reviewed here), about the birth of the current age of television that began with The Sopranos. Like that book, it touches on the fine moments of the show that you might have forgotten while telling tales you couldn’t have known, straight from the mouths of those who were there. ( )
  john.cooper | Feb 2, 2014 |
To A. Jesse Jiryu Davis. Obviously.

The behind-the-scenes story of the making of the classic television series offers insight into how the influential show reflected changing American perspectives and was a first situation comedy to employ numerous women as writers and producers.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,950,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible