Shotgun Lovesongs by Nickolas Butler

Shotgun Lovesongs (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Nickolas Butler (Author)

"Hank, Leland, Kip and Ronny were all born and raised in the same Wisconsin town--Little Wing--and are now coming into their own (or not) as husbands and fathers. One of them never left, still farming the family's land that's been tilled for generations. Others did leave, went farther afield to make good, with varying degrees of success; as a rock star, commodities trader, rodeo stud. And seamlessly woven into their patchwork is Beth, whose presence among them--both then and now--fuels the kind of passion one comes to expect of lovesongs and rivalries. Now all four are home, in hopes of finding what could be real purchase in the world. The result is a shared memory only half-recreated, riddled with culture clashes between people who desperately wish to see themselves as the unified tribe they remember, but are confronted with how things have, in fact, changed. There is conflict here between longtime buddies, between husbands and wives--told with writing that is, frankly, gut-wrenching, and even heartbreaking. But there is also hope, healing, and at times, even heroism. It is strong, American stuff, not at all afraid of showing that we can be good, too--not just fallible and compromising. Shotgun Lovesongs is a remarkable and uncompromising saga that explores the age-old question of whether or not you can ever truly come home again--and the kind of steely faith and love returning requires"--… (more)
Member:NicoletteMarie
Title:Shotgun Lovesongs
Authors:Nickolas Butler (Author)
Info:Griffin (2015), Edition: Reissue, 346 pages

Shotgun Lovesongs by Nickolas Butler (2014)

English (53)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (59)
I really wish there was a .5 star option because this wasn't quite a 4. However, since I read this in only a few days despite being buried in the crush of tax season I'll round up.

It was an satisfying novel that explores the adult friendships between five friends who grew up in a small Wisconsin town. There were some flaws but overall I enjoyed the complexity of the characters as well as Butler's writing style. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
Three Weddings and a Blizzard, or, Love, Cheesehead Style.

I've been meaning to read this since it first came out since it is set in Wisconsin, a couple hundred miles upstate from the dairy farm where I grew up. While I didn't recognize a lot of the book as being necessarily authentic or particular to Wisconsin, it was a perfectly acceptable low-key domestic drama of friendship in a small town for a little group of thirtysomethings. The characters are likable and my time spent with the book was pleasant.

My only criticism is the town seemed populated by maybe four other people beyond the friendship group, with the nearly total absence of parents in the lives of the friends being probably the biggest fault. How do you claim to depict rural life in Wisconsin without having busybody moms, dads, aunts and uncles? ( )
  villemezbrown | Jun 10, 2020 |
3.5 stars

I enjoy the descriptions of small town life. The 5 different fist person narratives sound too similar, as most everyone else has said when reviewing the book. I really like the walks down memory lane for each character, mostly about events in another character's life. I can see where the author was presumably headed, but he seemed either too anxious to publish, or the editor didn't push for a grittier tone.

And I had NO idea it's based on Justin Vernon, his split from DeYarmond Edison (later Megafaun), and his retreat back to Wisconsin to write music and start Bon Iver. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
Henry, Lee, Kip and Ronny grew up together in rural Wisconsin, but have since taken different paths. Henry stayed on the family farm and married his first love, while the others left in search of something more. Ronny became a rodeo star, Kip made his fortune in the city, and musician Lee found fame - but heartbreak, too. Now all four are back in town hoping to recapture their old closeness but unable to escape how much has changed.
  JRCornell | Dec 7, 2018 |
Lorqu'on est jeune, on se lie d'amitié avec d'autres de sa génération pensant ainsi que cette amitié est éternelle. Lorsqu'on prend de l'âge chacun se trace son chemin .
  ACParakou | May 24, 2018 |
But, heave ahead, boy, I'd rather be killed by you than kept alive by any other man.
–Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
For Regina & Henry & Mom & Dad; For Swan, who hears sunsets; And for Levon Helm (1940-2012)
We invited him to all of our weddings; he was famous.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,809,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible