Zombie Baseball Beatdown by Paolo Bacigalupi

Zombie Baseball Beatdown

by Paolo Bacigalupi

While practicing for their next baseball game, thirteen-year-old friends Rabi, Miguel, and Joe discover that the nefarious activities of the Delbe, Iowa, meatpacking plant have caused cows to turn into zombies.

It begins with strange smells from the meatpacking plant while middle schoolers Rabi, Joe, and Miguel are playing baseball. And as you might have guessed from the title, there are zombies. It's a fun little zombie romp, but it also has a lot to say about race and immigration and economics. And it doesn't try to guilt/scare you into becoming a vegetarian, which I appreciated. I like books that can say Big Things about Big Topics without making feel like I'm being lectured to. It still has plenty of funny moments, and no dull ones. Definitely a worthwhile read, especially for younger readers. ( )
  melydia | Jun 23, 2017 |
It was a clever and fast book thar I really enjoyed. It contained much more than I could have ever wished for and I would defenitely recomend it. ( )
  Hessius | Dec 4, 2016 |
Bacigalupi taking his causes to the younger adult crowd, using a boys' adventure tale structure, with villains supplied by a large meat packing business and the US immigration authorities. And when I say "boys' adventure tale," that's in 1950's sense. There's nary a girl in sight nor any discussion of them, just a lot of bicycles, baseball, and bullies. The zombies are straight out of cliche, groaning "Braaains" at the drop of a limb. It's not bad but for this age group, I'd recommend Pinkwater and Pratchett instead. ( )
  ChrisRiesbeck | Feb 18, 2016 |
For a reader who does not particularly like fantasy or science fiction, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this read! The zombie factor was silly but the underlying themes of illegal aliens, deportation, and friendships were very touching. There was also an interesting look into the meat packing industry. As the daughter of a USDA meat inspector, I was familiar with how we get our meat, but it would be very a very interesting topic for others to read up on. This book kept me in bed on a Saturday morning until I had finished it, zombies and all. I could see curricular connections to ethical treatment of animals (slaughterhouses), immigration, and how do we get our meat. The ending was also pleasantly suprising....it will make you think, hint postmodern elements. ( )
  amyruotsala | Feb 6, 2016 |
Narrated by Sunil Malhotra. More of a 2.5 star rating. Zombie fans will enjoy all the gross action if not be put off eating beef forever, lol. Even accounting for it being a kids' book, I found it too simplified. "If we all work together, we can do anything!" Also, how is it that no adults have figured out the truth about the Milrow meat-packing plant even after the national guard was called out in the epilogue? Again, kids won't notice the gaps but for me...ehhhh. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Paolo Bacigalupiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,927,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible