Morning Glories Volume 04: Truants

by Nick Spencer

Other authors: Joe Eisma (Illustrator), Rodin Esquejo (Cover artist), Johnny Lowe (Letterer), Alex Sollazzo (Colorist)

Series: Morning Glories (20-25)

"Morning Glory Academy. One of the most prestigious prep schools in the country. But behind its hallowed doors something sinister and deadly lurks. When six brilliant but troubled new students arrive, they find themselves trapped and desperately seeking answers-- and escape from a place where nothing is what it seems to be! Still reeling from the climactic events of "P.E." The Glories find themselves lost in time and space, confronted by a new group of students who might be even more dangerous than the faculty themselves-- the truants!" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

???????????? ( )
  torygy | Mar 31, 2022 |
If I had more time to spend remembering who was who, and who were the good guys, perhaps I might like this more. But here's where I stop: 25 issues in, and all we know about the Morning Glories Academy is that it is run by some netherworldly demon, and the other characters know some Bible stories. The plotline revolves around like a Moebius strip -- sometimes entire pages are repeated from prior issues -- and it's hard to tell whether you're in the past, present, or future. Still great art, although with the cast expanding (oh, we now meet the class that went through almost the same "experiments" the year before) some of them are starting to become hard to differentiate.

-----------------------------------
LT Haiku:
More secrets in school --
Loyalties challenged as plans
don't work (or do they?). ( )
2 vote legallypuzzled | Aug 17, 2013 |
Summary: The new students at the Morning Glory Academy have survived their first semester... this far. But now they're all separated from each other, not to mention scattered through time, and they are facing something much more dangerous than anything they've encountered so far: a group of former Morning Glory students known as the Truants.

Review: So I know I said I was going to give up on Morning Glories until more of it had been published, so that I could read it straight through, and maybe then I would have a prayer of understanding what the hell was going on. But this volume promised that as the end of "Season One", this volume would answer all of our questions, so I got lured into reading, even though I know I should stick to my original plan and wait. So, two things. First: I get what the Buffy comics are doing with seasons, but it seems weird to me to apply that model here, especially since this issue really didn't feel like the end of a story arc. Which actually brings me to my second point, which is that all of the promised answers? Did not materialize. I mean, yes, some things made some more sense after this volume, but all of the big questions, I am still pretty much in the dark. This series is interesting, and (as I've been thinking) would definitely benefit from a re-read. But while this volume was entertaining enough, it wasn't as satisfying as I was hoping it would be. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: The series barely makes sense when it's read in order, let alone if it were read out of order. But Lost fans should like the series as a whole... and have the requisite patience when it comes to waiting for answers. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jun 24, 2013 |

Sollazzo, AlexColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"Oh my God -- "

More secrets in school --

Loyalties challenged as plans

don't work (or do they?).

(legallypuzzled)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,201,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible