All my sins remembered by Joe Haldeman

All my sins remembered (original 1977; edition 1978)

by Joe Haldeman

In this powerful, provocative SF classic from the award-winning author of The Forever War, a young man of peace is transformed into an intergalactic killer. Once Otto McGavin was a kind and gentle soul; then he was recruited by the all-powerful Confederación.   An ultrasecretive, government-linked organization, the Confederación's stated mission of protecting threatened life, both human and alien, throughout the galaxy greatly appeals to the Anglo-Buddhist McGavin as he eagerly prepares to embark on a career of diplomacy and selfless works. But Otto's new masters have other plans for the idealistic young recruit. Through a process of immersion therapy and hypnosis, and by encasing him in temporary bodies of plastiflesh, scientists can overlay Otto's true persona with other ones, transforming him completely--body, mind, and soul--into the ruthlessly effective prime operator the Confederación wants him to be. But decades of interstellar subterfuge and violence, and years spent wearing the personae of spies and cold-blooded killers, must ultimately take their toll--and before he leaves behind the lives that have been cruelly thrust upon him, Otto McGavin will have to somehow come to terms with who he really is and the monstrous things he has done.   One of the most powerful and thought-provoking stories from the Hugo and Nebula Award-winning author of Worlds and The Forever War, Joe Haldeman's All My Sins Remembered is a stunning work of speculative fiction. This ebook features an illustrated biography of Joe Haldeman including rare images from the author's personal collection. … (more)
Member:Gopal_Kamath
Title:All my sins remembered
Authors:Joe Haldeman
Info:London : Futura Pubns., 1978.

All My Sins Remembered by Joe Haldeman (1977)

English (11)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
I want to be able to give this a 5-star review. The book is episodic in structure, with intervals between each episode. The main episodes of the book... they're good, but not great.

The intervals, though - they fascinate me! The character that comes to life in them, the mental and emotional effect of committing violence under orders (Haldeman's central obsession) are brilliantly focused into these small sections. Being so focused, these interval sections are powerful!

I actually prefer to go back and just re-read the intervals, and ignore the main episodes completely. ( )
  johnthelibrarian | Aug 11, 2020 |
Otto McGavin works as a peacekeeper in space making sure alien rights are respected. In order to do so he has to take on the personality and body formation of those aliens. Often he has to kill in order to protect the rights. When his jobs are complete and he returns to his original self he remembers all his sins. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 16, 2017 |
Interesting premise, disappointing storytelling. This is a book begging for a further fleshing out of characters and plot and instead gets a cursory treatment of both. It's hard to care about the protaganist because all we get is a few pages up front describing what he believes, we never get to understand the character and he's drawn very one dimensionally. Overall a very uninspiring read. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
I'd forgotten just how good a writer Joe Haldeman is. It hasn't noticeably dated and retains convincing characterization, and a beguiling premise. And he's not afraid to shock, no happy endings here! I'm so glad I plucked this off my shelf ahead of newer books ( )
  malcrf | Jan 18, 2016 |
I finished late last night. Fought through the sleepies to finish. I don't know why a book that short seemed to take that long, but I guess it really wasn't. Was more like a long week...

But anyway, I liked it. Not near as much as [b:The Forever War|21611|The Forever War|Joe Haldeman|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167322714s/21611.jpg|423], or even quite as much as [b:The Accidental Time Machine|21608|The Accidental Time Machine|Joe Haldeman|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167322712s/21608.jpg|22743], the previous Haldeman books I've read.

I liked the concept of this one, and for the most part the execution. But by the end of it I was ready to move on to something else. ( )
  Texas_Reaver | Mar 31, 2013 |

Weaver,

Jolly Tinker
Close your eyes.

All right.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,568,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible