HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to…

Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Jeff VanderMeer, Jeremy Zerfoss (Illustrator)

"This all-new definitive guide to writing imaginative fiction takes a completely novel approach and fully exploits the visual nature of fantasy through original drawings, maps, renderings, and exercises to create a spectacularly beautiful and inspiring object. Employing an accessible, example-rich approach, Wonderbook energizes and motivates while also providing practical, nuts-and-bolts information needed to improve as a writer. Aimed at aspiring and intermediate-level writers, Wonderbook includes helpful sidebars and essays from some of the biggest names in fantasy today, such as George R. R. Martin, Lev Grossman, Neil Gaiman, Michael Moorcock, Catherynne M. Valente, and Karen Joy Fowler, to name a few"--… (more)
Member:psutto
Title:Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction
Authors:Jeff VanderMeer
Other authors:Jeremy Zerfoss (Illustrator)
Info:Abrams Image (2013), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2013 challenge

Work Information

Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction by Jeff VanderMeer (2013)

English (23)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
3.5 stars. I read most of this book in the fall of ‘21, but just finished the final chapter on revision and the lengthy Appendix. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed what at first seemed like a gimmicky book. There’s a lot going on in it, which sometimes distracts from the core text of each chapter. It has a lot of the same writing advice you’d find anywhere, but it presents more immersive examples of said advice. I liked Vandermeer’s bullet/numbered lists that he uses regularly for all topics — actionable questions/tips/ideas to apply to one’s own writing. I liked the many short essays by established writers on their process, for the same reason I like to read the Paris Review. A lot of the visual material is used as potential generative exercises, which I might return to. There are a lot of prompts and exercises hidden throughout that make it worthwhile to keep on the shelf for inspiration. It definitely makes the creative struggle feel more fun. It’s a great resource to find new “weird lit” or speculative fiction to read. Nearly every page is bursting with references to stories, authors, novels I’d never heard of. ( )
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
One of the few books I'll read twice. And an affordable price. Could have charged a lot more, but the price makes it accessible. ( )
  shawndotbailey | Jan 11, 2022 |
Easily the most imaginative writing book I've read in the past few months, and definitely the prettiest. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Nov 15, 2021 |
Extremely useful and innovative approach to writing craft with loads of real life book examples and informative essays from an army of famous writers. Wonderbook works as a spot reference book but is best read from start to finish at least once so that you can follow the context before dipping back to troubleshoot specifics.

The other thing I would add is that this is perhaps not the best book for a beginner writer seeking to learn basics. For that, I would recommend Story Genius by Lisa Crohn, On Writing by Stephen King, and/or The Emotional Craft of Fiction by Donald Maass.

Wonderbook (imol is more geared at intermediate writers who are pursuing serious publication (whether self or trade), or advanced writers looking to dive deep into fine turning of craft, structure, and story telling, perhaps by taking a novel (harhar) approach to novel writing. ( )
  Sunyidean | Sep 7, 2021 |

Jeff VanderMeerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zerfoss, JeremyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Erin Kennedy and Jason Kennedy, with love.
For my mom, my aunt, my long-suffering friends and family, and for the free-texture community. I love you all. -- Jeremy Zerfoss
Welcome to Wonderbook. Before you begin, check your supplies. Make sure you have plenty of water, food, and at least some mountaineering equipment.
Be fiercely protective of your imagination, and nurture it. (p. 40)
Being available to social media 24/7 does not count as receptivity; it's just fragmentation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,807,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible