The Bridge of Dead Things (The Lizzie…

The Bridge of Dead Things (The Lizzie Blaylock Books)

by Michael Gallagher

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This MG novel has broad appeal and a very engaging story full of psychics and ghosts and Victorian technology. I cannot wait to read the next installment of the Lizzie Blaylock series. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Feb 2, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First a note on formatting: the font size was very large and needed adjusting. Also, though when the ebook is opened to the cover image on Kindle for PC, the preview image for the digital library is only the default blue image. If there is a way it can be fixed either by downloading a new copy or somehow adjusting the one I have, I would ask for someone to bring it to my attention.

Asw for the story, I found a connection with it through personal experience with the plot of mediums, particularly a spiritual conduit. With two running main plots between missing diamonds from a crazy family and a fake-psychic performance from people who actually got their hands on a girl with power for a change, it was often hard to connect the details together; it was only tied together in the last chapter. This was good in that the meat of the story was not easily predictable, but there is something uneasy about exposition after a book's climax. ( )
  MoonSpider | Aug 21, 2014 |
Lizzie Blaylock, a resident of Victorian London, was not having a good month. First, she is expelled from school for having some sort of fit that scared her whole class. She goes home to her terminally ill sister, to learn her father has lost his job. She lands a job as a maid, but that quickly ends when she has another of her fits. She arrives back home to discover that her whole family has just been thrown out of their home because the rent was due. She has still another fit while hiding out at a meeting of people trying to contact their dearly departed friends and relatives. At this pount, she is taken under the wing of a woman who proclaims that Lizzie is a Bridge (those who have crossed-over can cross back again via Lizzie), and she finds herself living with a group who provide a regular service to those wishing to contact the deceased. The ins and outs and what-just-happeneds will keep you turning the pages as Lizzie explores what she is and, also, finds out more than she wanted to know about running a Victorian-era seance for profit. How much is flim-flam and how much is honest psychic abilities? You will have to read the book yourself to find out. ( )
  Nightwing | Mar 20, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers and I'm so glad that I did because I absolutely loved it! I don't give out 5 stars very often, but I did for this book! It grabbed me from the start and didn't let go. The characters were well defined and it was easy to visualize them in my mind as I read. I found the story itself gripping. It kept me reading well into the early hours of the night!

I've always been interested by the Victorian fascination with seances and the Other Side so the setting and premise of the book was right up my alley. Lizzie Blaylock is a young girl from an impoverished family where her mother has run off and her father is an irresponsible alcoholic and theif, along with a little sister sick with TB. Not a pretty picture, but one that was all too common for the lower classes of the time. Lizzie, however, is not an ordinary young girl, but one who is "the rarest of the rare"...a material medium. Souls from the Other Side can use her body as a bridge to cross through to this world for a short period of time, and they can not only appear but also speak and interact with their loved ones. This ability is at first confusing to Lizzie until she learns what she is and what is happening during such episodes.

Knowing how desperate the times were for those in need, and taking Lizzie's young age and naivety into consider, it's no wonder that she falls into situations in which she doesn't know who to trust or if good fortune that falls into her lap will be snatched away without warning. She is resourceful and fiesty, as well as intelligent and loyal. Mysteries abound and Gallagher does an amazing job creating an atmosphere of rising fear and creepiness. The characters known as Mr. and Mrs. Silver are an excellent example of the latter. They made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end and I think the author could do an excellent horror novel on them alone!

I would highly recommend this book to anyone. It was an exciting read and I was sorry to come to the last page. I hope that there are many more additions to the Lizzie Blaylock series because I now consider myself a firm fan! :-) ( )
  LongDogMom | Mar 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Having read the second book before this one, I was already familiar with Lizzie and her power to channel the dead. I very much enjoyed going back to the beginning and finding out more about Lizzie. While the second book was more about the mystery, so to speak, this first book is clearly about Lizzie. I like the contrast between her home life and family and the people she comes to encounter. I hope there are more books to come in this series. ( )
  sheryll | Mar 4, 2014 |
This novel is dedicated to Maggie Evans
Eliza May Blaylock! Stand up!

Murky Victorian London. Thirteen-year-old Lizzie Blaylock has done her best to fill her absconding mother’s shoes, but her father is lazy and feckless, and her little sister is riddled with tuberculosis. When Lizzie has a fit at school, for which she is expelled, she and those around her slowly begin to realize that she may have special powers…powers to communicate with the dead.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Michael Gallagher's book The Bridge of Dead Things was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Michael Gallagher is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,674,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible