Night Terrors

by Tim Waggoner

Series: Shadow Watch (1)

When you dream, you visit the Maelstrom. Dream long enough and hard enough, and your dreams can break through into the living world. So, alas, can your nightmares. And who's there to catch the dreams and nightmares as they fall into reality? Meet the Shadow Watch. Pray you never need them...

In a world where nightmares can be brought to life and where the land of Nod exists close beside our world, a police force made up of nightmares and their creators (Ideators) handles all otherworldly crime.

I got a kick out of the world Tim Waggoner created here. Creatures crawling out of your nightmares is terrifying--and making those creatures your partner, having to trust them, is even more terrifying. But somehow it works.

Waggoner has a way with words, too. He's a good writer, and his descriptions are amazing.

This was a really cool book. I'm anxious to read the next in the series.

(Provided by publisher) ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Please read my full review here: http://realbooks4ever.tumblr.com/post/86816852379 ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
I received this from the GoodReads First Reads giveaway, and I am glad I did!

What a fun read! Quick read! I loved the premise of "creating" someone/thing from a dream. You have Ideator's who have brought their nightmares to life. When Audra was a little girl she spent many a night terrified of a clown. Then one day, the clown who had been haunting Audra's dream for years, suddenly comes to life. This is the story of the adventures together. It is a fun ride... AND it starts right away. This book is definitely not Horror... It's more fantasy. Check it out! ( )
  patsaintsfan | Dec 22, 2014 |
Sometimes, you’ve just gotta read a book that won’t let you sleep well.

Night Terrors, the first installment in Tim Waggoner’s The Shadow Watch series, takes place in a world where a special branch of law enforcement, the afore-mentioned Shadow Watch, is employed to keep nightmares that have “gone rogue” from escaping Nod (as in, “the Land of”) and wreaking havoc on our waking world.

So far, so good.

In this case, a burned-out former agent, Audra Hawthorne, is brought in—along with her partner—to track down an Incubi, an escaped nightmare.

Did we mention that Audra’s partner is her own nightmare, Jinx the clown? And that this clown is a freaking psychopath at night, but during the day is pretty protective of “his” partner?

This is a really original entry into urban fantasy, one that treads the line into horror quite completely. The real hook in this origin story is the relationship between Audra and Jinx, but that will pass quickly; the success of the series will depend entirely on whether or not Waggoner can come up with appropriately horrifying nightmares and complex cases to keep the series moving forward.

This, however, was a very refreshing take on the most unnerving part of the night. And yes, comparisons to Pennywise the clown would be appropriate.

Reviewed on Lit/Rant: www.litrant.tumblr.com ( )
  KelMunger | Sep 29, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

This one's for all the coulrophobics out there. Mr Jinx hopes to visit each and every one of you real soon.
Jinx lifted his nose and scented the air.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,271,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible