Crux (The Nexus Trilogy Book 2) by Ramez…

Crux (The Nexus Trilogy Book 2) (edition 2013)

by Ramez Naam

Series: Nexus [Naam] (2)

Six months have passed since the release of Nexus 5. The world is a different, more dangerous place. In the United States, the terrorists--or freedom fighters--of the Post-Human Liberation Front use Nexus to turn men and women into human time bombs aimed at the President and his allies. In Washington DC, a government scientist, secretly addicted to Nexus, uncovers more than he wants to know about the forces behind the assassinations, and finds himself in a maze with no way out. The first blows in the war between human and posthuman have been struck. The world will never be the same.… (more)
Member:vancampen
Title:Crux (The Nexus Trilogy Book 2)
Authors:Ramez Naam
Info:Angry Robot
Collections:Kindle Books

Work Information

Crux by Ramez Naam

I really enjoyed Nexus and was excited to see how the story would continue in book 2. As I read Crux I was intrigued by the plot, apparently enough to plod through the clumsy writing and overlook the almost unforgivable number of typos. After I finally made it to the end, after 500 pages of frustration, I was feeling a little less enthusiastic about the plot. I have Apex sitting in front of me now and am trying to work my way through. I am still interested in the premise of the trilogy and want to see how the story ends, but the clunky writing and blatant typos are a serious distraction. ( )
  menassassin | Aug 28, 2021 |
Crux basically picks up where Nexus let off.

Nexus is a force in the world, with more than a million people using it, growing every day. One particularly interesting use is giving Nexus to children with autism to allow them to communicate directly mind to mind. Another is the children that were born to parents using Nexus. Interesting in both cases.

On the negative side, there have already been cases of people using Nexus for more nefarious purposes. Rape. Blackmail. Assassination. Like any new technology, there is the potential for much to go wrong. Something this big? Of course it does.

But where it really starts getting terrifying is when you consider the parallels with what Snowden revealed a few years ago and the current election cycle. The United States government (among others) in the world of Nexus has made such transhuman technology a crime. They are detaining those same children born with Nexus. One of the main storylines of Crux is just how deep such a hidden agenda might go. It's well written.

One note from a structural standpoint is that there is quite a lot of action in this book. It gets to the point where the action itself starts to drag. It could really use a few more breathers. It's certainly not a dealbreaker, but I think Nexus did it better.

All together, an excellent book. I look forward to the conclusion.

Final note: Feng is my favorite. He's hilarious. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Second Nexus book finished! Will there be a third?I do enjoy these techno-thrillers, but the writing is a bit stale. That said, I'll continue to read these! Ramez can only get better. :) ( )
  bored_panda | Jan 8, 2021 |
I took this one at a leisurely pace because the children deserved it. All of the children, the post human, the autistic, and the abandoned needed a little bit of love to see them through this dystopian near-future. The call was just as strong for me as it was for Sam.

I haven't lost any of my deep desire to be a part of the emerging consciousness of Nexus, despite the abuses or the moral quandaries. Indeed, I love its promise as much as Kade.

I suppose this means the novel did its job, whether or not I'm going to eventually classify it as a novel of great ideas or as a novel of great writing. Something about it didn't quite match my hopeful expectations. It didn't have the same pace as the first novel, but there was certainly better action and higher stakes, so I suppose things balance out nicely. Holtzman was at first an annoying detractor to the story, but by the end he served the story's needs awesomely, propelling yet more conflict into the future with his death. Thank god.

All things being equal, I really enjoyed it. On to the next in the trilogy! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Nexus 5, a drug that enables humans to enhance their brains and become networked with other users has been out there for six months now. As the numbers of users increases the USA sees this as its greatest threat, especially as the Post Human Liberation Front is taking over the minds of users ands sending them on assignation attempts to kill the president

As people start to use the drug for good and bad, Kade, the architect of Nexus, starts to avenge those that have enslaved others through the back doors that he put into the code. Kade is on the run too. He is being hunted by the CIA, black ops and others who want to use that power for their own ends. In America, one man close to the president starts to see that what they are doing to stop the spread of Nexus is morally abhorrent, in particular the way that they purge the substance from adults and children. The plot builds to a thrilling ending

I really enjoyed this sequel. It is a really fast paced sci-fi thriller, set 25 years into the future, with plausible technology and that little extra that takes it over the edge. If I had one gripe, I thought that the characters were a little two dimensional, as more effort had been put into the multi threaded plot, but that is a small thing really. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

The pianist's hands glided across the keys, spreading out to left and right, fingers striking keys in unison.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,184,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible