Glitterland by Alexis Hall

Glitterland (2013)

by Alexis Hall

Series: Glitterland (1), Spires Universe, Spires [Hall] (book 1)

And that's how you know, you're in for a wild ride.
Applause for the audiobook, for the story, for the writing and for the characters. Not saying more because there are better reviews out there and I don't know what to say without spoiling it. I recommend you go in blind because you'll be swooped off your feet by Darian's innocence and Orange Glitter Pirate wisdom and by Ash's ...brokenness.

Book (ebook or paperback) recommended but audiobook highly recommended. It brings the whole Essex charm to a whole new level.

Thank you to all my friends to introducing me to Alexis Hall and Glitterland. Love you! :* ( )
  XiaXiaLake | Jan 16, 2019 |
Alexis Hall really knows how to write beautiful characters. They are not perfect, far from it, but they are so realistic, flawed and human that, if you share even a little bit of their experiences, their thoughts, words and actions describe exactly how you felt when you were in the same situation.

In Glitterland the narrator is Ash, a bipolar depressive with anxiety issues.
I have a soft spot for characters with mental health issues, so I tend to forgive them a lot, but, let’s be honest, Ash is not a nice person.
Mental health issues, anxiety and sickness in general can affect your life and the way you treat other people in a huge way.
Taking that into consideration, Ash is not a nice person. He’s rude, classist and sometimes so wrapped in his own life that he forgets to stop and think about how his actions could make others feel. This is in part an effect of his medical condition, but the rest is simply how he is.

I liked seeing him interact with Darian, who is the exact opposite.
Darian is kind, open, understanding and, under his fake tan and sequins, genuine and honest.
After he enters Ash’s life, Ash is gradually forced to reconsider his outlook on many things and his role in them. I enjoyed reading about it.

Last, but not least: this book made me laugh and Elizabeth Bennet was mentioned. If that’s not enough, I don’t know what is. ( )
  Ele.na | Jun 8, 2018 |
Damn you book for leaving me so raw everything makes me cry today. ( )
  NannyOgg13 | May 26, 2018 |
Product placement: 6
Ridiculousness: 4
Annoying: 2
To re-read: 9

I avoided the book for a while, I thought it was about college kids covered in glitter partying all night; not the case.
In short: deals with the struggle of living with bipolar disorder (he is 28y), designers, funny remarks, interesting incidents. Main MCs come from different worlds; always make for a great book.
Book made me laugh out a lot. ( )
  lulumiami | Sep 3, 2017 |
4.5 "The Light to His Darkness" Stars for the story and 5 Stars for narration!

This little gem of an audiobook drew my attention when it was nominated earlier this year by the Audio Publishers Association for a 2017 Audie award in the Romance category. Having already listened to all the other nominees in the Romance category, I decided to give this one a try, even though M/M romance isn't something I have historically listened to or read much of in the past.

Boy, am I glad I listened! What a breath of fresh air! From the chemistry-laden and heart-felt romance between two polar opposites (proving the adage that opposites really do attract!) to the careful handling of a very serious and often overlooked medical condition that people usually don't want to talk about (bipolar depression plus anxiety issues), this book kept me enraptured from beginning to end! Moreover, the narration by the very talented, Nicholas Boulton, is simply divine, and makes this a must-listen to romance audiobook!

Ash Winters is an accomplished English writer/novelist. Having attended Cambridge and mingled with many other influential writers, he has an academic, upper middle class feel to his character. Unfortunately for Ash, however, his successes have been drowned out as of late by his very serious bouts with bipolar depression and anxiety. His condition has deteriorated to the point where he fears going outside of his home, has attempted to commit suicide, and has been hospitalized. Fortunately, for him, however, he does have some friends who look out for him (including one man, Niall, who he had a romantic relationship with in the past, though that same man is hung up on another man who is marrying his female literary agent--cue in the angst).

As friends often do, Ash is convinced to attend the bachelor party for the upcoming wedding. What he never could have imagined is that he would go home with his polar opposite. Thus enters Darian Taylor into the scene: Ash's complete opposite. Darian is an aspiring model from Essex, with a strong accent, a fake tan, and tons of bling, and who needless to say does not appear to run in the same academic circles as Ash. Nonetheless there is just something about his infectious optimism. Even with all of Ash's darkness and negativity, Darian is not deterred, and they end up spending a memorable night tangled in the sheets.

Once daylight comes, however, Ash must decide what comes next, and when his friends (including Niall) get involved in the mix to boot, they strongly question his judgment and real motivating interest in Darian. Could there possibly be a HEA under the circumstances?

Nicholas Boulton's narration was perfect! Not only does he have a pleasing and sexy voice, but he was able to create spot-on, personality appropriate voices for each one of the characters in this book. While this can be difficult in any romance, in an M/M romance that featured so many male characters this would seem to be nearly an impossible task, but not for Mr. Boulton who executed this difficult task magnificently. Additionally, I really was able to envision and grasp the polar opposite personalities of Ash and Darian from just Mr. Boulton's voice. He is a truly talented narrator and I hope to listen to many more of his performances in the future.

All in all, Glitterland is a must-listen to story. Not only did Alexis Hall convincingly spin a romance, but he added so many dimensions to this story, that it almost read like a romance plus a general fiction title all wrapped up in one. As I studied psychology in college, I also greatly appreciated his attention to the details of Ash's mental condition, and his hope filled message that even the darkest troubled minds can find happiness in love.

Source: Review copy provided for review purposes. ( )
  B.J.O. | May 11, 2017 |

Hall, AlexisAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boulton, NicholasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My heart is beating so fast it's going to trip over itself and stop. Everything is hot and dark. I've been buried alive. I'm already dead.

Once the golden boy of the English literary scene, now a clinically depressed writer of pulp crime fiction, Ash Winters has given up on love, hope, happiness, and most of all himself. He lives his life between the cycles of his illness, haunted by the ghosts of other people's expectations. Then a chance encounter at a stag party throws him into the arms of Essex boy Darian Taylor, an aspiring model who lives in a world of hair gel, fake tans, and fashion shows. By his own admission, Darian isn't the crispest lettuce in the fridge, but he cooks a mean cottage pie and makes Ash laugh, reminding him of what it's like to step beyond the boundaries of anxiety. But Ash has been living in his own shadow for so long that he can't see past the glitter to the light. Can a man who doesn't trust himself ever trust in happiness? And how can a man who doesn't believe in happiness ever fight for his own?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible