Sound Doctrine: How a Church Grows in the Love and Holiness of God… (2013)

by Bobby Jamieson

Sound doctrine is the life-blood of God's people, providing the foundation for the church's unity and witness. This short, readable book speaks to the importance of good theology for godly living. Part of the 9Marks Building Healthy Churches series.

Book #8 out of 100 (my goal for 2018)

Have you eyes glazed over when a pastor used the word “doctrine”? Do you just wish preachers get over “doctrine” and give you application?

Assuming you could concede doctrine is important, would you be able to explain why?

This brief book (108) pages could be read in a day or two and is a very helpful, easy-to-understand explanation of the importance of sound doctrine. ( )
  Pastor_Doug | Mar 30, 2018 |
I love the 9Marks series of books on building healthy churches. I had previously read and been stirred by their books on elders and church discipline, so I was extremely excited when I received this book at the Together For the Gospel Conference.

Bobby Jamieson did not disappoint. He continued in the vein of the other 9Marks offerings, authoring a short book loaded with great biblical insight. These books are helpful to pass on to lay leaders and staff members. They deal with critical issues for healthy churches. They can be digested in one sitting (though you may get more out of it if you stretch it out a bit). When you couple succinct with scriptural, you have a recipe for a good tool in today's ultra-busy world.

Jamieson's writing style was personal, but not overly anecdotal. It was clear what his purpose was (sound doctrine is essential for godly living and building healthy churches). He did a wonderful job of explaining what sound doctrine is, how it should apply to the church, and its benefits for those who apply it. Essentially, he defines sound doctrine and then renders a chapter each on how sound doctrine is for reading and teaching the bible, holiness, love, unity, worship, witness, and joy.

I am training pastors in the Philippines later this year. I will probably add this to my list of supplies to get in their hands. I will definitely get this book into the hands of my own deacons and elders.

Thanks to the good folks at 9Marks for putting out yet another great resource for the church!

Key Quotes
"There are two main ideas that run through this book. The first is that sound doctrine is for life. . . . The second main idea of this book is that sound doctrine is for the life of the church" (13).

"Doctrine isn't just for a statement of faith that's hidden away on a back page of a church website; it's for sermons, small groups, personal conversations, prayers, songs, and more. Sound doctrine should course through our churches' veins and nourish every aspect of our lives together" (14).

"Doctrine is sound whenever our own words summarize the content of the Bible rightly or faithfully, like getting an A+ on a vocabulary quiz" (17).

"Sound doctrine is a summary of the Bible's teaching that is both faithful to the Bible and useful for life" (17).

"Ultimately, the goal of reading and teaching Scripture is to love God and our neighbor better. And the way to love God more is to know God more" (30).

"The best antidote to an appetite for false teaching is a steady diet of sound doctrine. The best way to prevent doctrinal disease is a regular regimen of the preventive medicine of scriptural theology" (42).

"Sound doctrine is a central means by which Christians grow in holiness, and holiness is the goal of sound doctrine" (52).

"The doctrinally driven unity of the church defies human explanations" (82).

"You don't lose yourself in worship by trying to lose yourself in worship. Instead, aim to glorify God as he deserves and desires" (92).

"If we do away with doctrine, we do away with the gospel and evangelism" (96). ( )
  RobSumrall | May 14, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,460,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible